Darksiders II heat issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zellar, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Actually I think vsync might work, only you have to set a gfx setting, quit game, then restart the game. At least thats been true for changing res and fullscreen so far.

2. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    30 fps vs unlimited... set your limit to 30 fps on a PC and watch your GPU usage drop to 25%, of course your temps will be cooler to boot!

the only reason the 360 is handling anything easily is because the console games are low res, low LOD garbage. The things PCs can do with games is light years beyond what a 360 and ps3 are capable of. :3eyes: Unfortunately developers still need to release games to milk the money cow of the consoles holding back true gaming development on the PC.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Rofl, I knew you were being sarcastic.

Awesome name btw. Is Bill over 9000?

4. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

If your GPU is going above 92-95 degrees, something is wrong with your system's airflow. All GPUs ramp up the fans to keep them within safe operating temperatures. They are tested extensively in all conditions. Of course you could have thermal runaway if you basically put the GPU in a shoebox where it can't get enough cool air to cool the GPU no matter how fast the fan spins.

So either somethings messed up with your fan/fan settings or you've got the PC case in a corner and has no space or airflow whatsoever, leading to thermal runaway.

It's also possible your GPU doesn't have good contact with the heatsink so it's not getting heat drawn away properly. Or maybe there's a ton of dust build up in the fan/heatsink. Or maybe your fan is flaky.

Enabling v-sync is a band-aid for whatever your root issue is... due to the framerate capping nature of v-sync, it just limits the amount of work the GPU has to do so it doesn't run as hot. But in a normal thermal environment you should be able to run any game without v-sync just fine. The highest a GTX 480 should ever reach is 92C.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

5. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I cant think of a single game for pc that also exists on the xbox360 that takes a lot of recources. Ofc the pc games tend to be somewhat prettier and heavier, but they dont modify the games a lot in my experience.

Please mention 1 game that exists on the 360 and is a reasonable close port for the pc thats a resourcehog :)

D2 stays around 35-40% usage, after I have made settings in the nvcp that increases quality and using the smaa injector from haandy.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Saints Row 2, a truly dire port of the worst kind that even after several patches still doesn't run as well as it should considering its console origins. Also, Grand Theft Auto IV is generally considered to be an unoptimized port that relies heavily on the CPU over the GPU (as many console games do due to their weak graphics hardware).

7. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Thanks for your input darren. Im just saying genereally there is a pretty even comparable performance between games that exist on xbox360 and pc.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. pekka

pekka Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    well iĀ“have played Farksider II and i get no heat issues tooka fraps bench 140+fps AVG!!! :D ;)
    my card is MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr PE

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    has probably been mentioned already.

use d3d overider or nvinspectors framelimiter.

its a console port and its probably running at 2-3 times your refresh rate therefore heating up the GPU like mad.

10. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Yes
    Things i want in game:
    DOF, Ambient ocolution, hd textures, shadows evrywhere
    Less puzel game

11. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    When I use built in vsync or d3doverrider the framerate stays at 60fps, but I'm experiencing some kind of "stuttering/hitching".
    This doesn't effect the framerate at all, but it's like the game goes to 30fps for a few seconds then goes back to 60fps.
    But both fraps and MSI AB osd says its 60fps.
    I'm using last whql as 304.79 gave me some instability issues, and my gpu is a 560ti 448.
    I'm the only one that is experiencing this problem? There's any kind of fix I can try? I didn't tried to limit the framerate yet. But without vsync I can say that card runs a bit hot and all the times at full power.

12. fpunch

fpunch Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Same thing here. Using Adaptive V-Sync makes it lesser but it's still there.

13. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Yes, getting this as well

14. Argineboy

Argineboy Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7950 @ 1000/1375
    vsync is broken in this game and w/o it my temp throttles to 74c

i just use d3doverrider and the temps went to normal 55c

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090

16. Improv

Improv Guest

GPU:
    Patriot 8gb DDR3 ram
    Cap your framerate to 59 and try again.

I had this problem with the originals. 60 FPS + Vsync exact issue you have. 59 FPS + Vysnc smooth.

Vigil sucks with PC development.

17. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI
    Just like darksiders 1 ingame vsync doesnt appear to work (that instills you with confidance as to the quality of the port doesnt it....they really must go thru darksider forums searching with avengance to find all the little bugs and anomolys .....yeah right :bang: )

Anywho fix is simple,goto darksider 2 individual profile and force vsync on.Works fine like it did in DS 1.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Darksiders had its v-sync issue fixed in the first patch and has worked ever since for me. However, the sequel doesn't and I've had to force it through the driver.

19. angmar

angmar Guest

I highly doubt drivers are making your gpu run 30c hotter. The only way that would make sense is if you had some horrific drivers that were giving you like 20 percent gpu usage and all the sudden the new ones gave you a 100. That is a HUGE difference in temps. Check for dust....also check gpu usage in the games your playing that do not heat up the card. If all else fails increase fan speed manually.

20. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    which other games you play?, if others do not make GPU usage.... then your GPU has overheating issues, you should clean it.