iPhone 5 to have 4-inch 640 x 1136 screen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

DailyTech noticed rumors that Apple's next-gen iPhone may have a 4 screen with a 640 x 1136 pixels:As we near the next-generation iPhone's announcement on September 12 more and more rumors are making...

More...

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Only?

3. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    That's a weird resolution. Won't videos have black bars?

4. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    It's 1.775 so very close to 16:9 (1.777).

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I hope battery life was high on their priorities list with the iPhone 5 "6". The resolution is not that big a deal but the size of the device hopefuly will not increase.

6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The reason for the somewhat weird resolution is that iOS isn't resolution independent.

That's why it went from 320*480 to 640*960, a multiple of two in both x- and y-axis meant that existing applications could be scaled easily.

Rather than going to 720*1280 the choice to go with 640*1136 means that applications designed for 640*960 screens will work with just some minor black bars on the edges.

It also means the home screen can keep the same aspect ratio by simply extending it with another row of icons.

It makes sense, though it's a shame it won't be able to play 720p video in native resolution.

7. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Just another reason to not buy overpriced bs from apple ... yes I hate apple products :)

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Google oem's should sue them for using a 4" screen :D.

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I was just thinking. Man I hate it when I'm sitting around watching 720p video on my phone. And see those tiny little black bars. Wish it was Native Resolution. It's not like I can just double tap the video and have it expand that fraction to go full screen. Even if I do lose a little off the side.

Damn you Apple. You just ruin the enjoyment of sitting there watching High Def on such a small screen.

I think sometimes a lot of us Geek people just like to have the bigger ePenis and just have the highest specs around.

Keep putting higher and higher res into the phones. It comes a point where the difference isn't worth it.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't just keep using the same specs because they work. That's not the case. But there seems to be this little race to constantly one up each other. Apple do it with their little refreshes but nothing has significantly changed.

Hold off and do something better instead of trying to rush things out the doors.

If you're really wanting to enjoy some higher def content, watch it on a tablet, or if you still want more a laptop, or more again Desktop, or just your TV.

It's nice to increase specs, but there's not always a need. Especially when the very very large population don't particularly care or even understand what resolutions are.

I mean a lot of the average users when they have their iPad 2 vs the Ipad 3 with a much higher resolution. The difference is night and day, and they still can't see it.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I use my old(ish) Sony Ericsson Elm and I charge my phone once a week, about to get an S3 and that's the main thing I'm dreading, I'd much rather see more innovation in battery technology.

Also shocked to find out that both Android and IOS the alarms don't work if you turn your phone off, what a joke, that needs sorting as well. I use my SE Elm and an older SE W810 as my alarm clocks and turn both off each night. Moving backwards.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's a bit off. 640/9 = 71.1111 (repeater), ~71.1111*16 = ~1137.78. They shouldn't have stinged out on 2 pixels if they wanted to be as close as possible. Should have been 640x1138. Alternatively, 639x1136 would have been exact.

Really weird, I would have expected them to have at least true 720p for their "your crappy eyes can't tell the pixels apart" claim. Edit: Thought I saw 5", that res on 4" is much better, but still with distinguishable pixels. :wanker:

If you want an S3 or Galaxy Nexus with decent battery life you're going to have to buy a more powerful battery and those things are bulky. From what I've seen both those phones drain in 2 days with light use, 3 days with super light use. Or under 2 hours 720p video playback with ~60% brightness, closer to 1 hour.

For the record I got my phone back after 5 weeks with 3 parts replaced that I didn't even know were defective. The receiver (the paperwork didn't specify what receiver), the analog multiplexer and a coaxial cable in it. The one thing they didn't replace was the reason I sent it in, the defective screen.

As a last resort I'm meeting the manager of the store which I bought it from tomorrow to show to his face the screen is no good. That makes it about 6 weeks from when I asked for a repair and so far all I got from Samsung has been the middle finger.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Batteries are definitely the biggest thing they need to improve on.

Gone are the days where you charge your phone once a week.

Technology improves and the OS gets more complicated and has to do more things. Which is why they probably can't do the alarm thing.

These days I just have my Alarm clock beside bed with dock in it. So just whack it straight in to charge and act as an alarm. Also keeps the clock synced.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They have been improving on batteries, but phone manufacturers seem to want the one day a charge thing. You look back at the old Nokia phones that lasted a week, those batteries were like 500mah batteries and they were huge think monstrosities. Now we have slim 2100mah batteries but the phones only last a day usage. When you start adding features like Siri/Google Now, sensors, high MP cameras, etc it just all adds up.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yea definitely. It's always a fine balance.

I used to love my old SE K750i

Thing was tiny, and would last for a stupidly long time before needing a charge.

15. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    That is a strange resolution. Why not just have qHD (960x540)? It looks perfect on a 4" screen in fullscreen with no bars.

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You know, in the larger sense I actually agree with you.

If it hadn't been for the fact that my post were detailing why Apple is likely going with an inferior resolution (inferior as in oddball, lower resolution and needing more work to scale video to fit) and partially lamenting that choice out of personal considerations I'm sure it could have been a worthwhile debate in there somewhere.

As it is there's epeen and then there's inferiority complex.

You really don't have to rabidly defend Apple in every single thing, especially when it's as best tangentially related to the post in question.

(And let me pre-empt your inevitable 'you don't have to attack apple over everything!!1!one!' response: I don't, I didn't in this particular case either. You chose to make an argument of it and you chose to make it personal. Maintaining the status quo as it is I suppose.)

17. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It's already been touched upon, basically they can't.

• iOS doesn't handle resolution independance gracefully.
    • The current high-end iPhone resolution is 640*960, which means that cutting off 100 pixels would result in needing new graphical resources for almost every single application.
    • The old screen is 4*3, the new is 16*9 (or as close as possible given the oddball resolution) which means different pixel proportions are neccessary to maintain the same aspect ratio of graphical elements.
    • Adding vertical pixels (in portrait that is) means current (640*960 or 320*480) applications will only get minor black bars and that the home screen can simply be extended with an additional row of icons.
    • Given a larger screen (4" vs. 3.5") Apple pretty much has to increase the pixel count to maintain the reasoning behind the "Retina" branding, even if you ignore all the other complications.

18. oMVo

oMVo Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970
    ive got an S3 and watching 720p TV shows on 30min cardio runs drains about 25% of my battery. this is at 100% brightness. unless maybe you're talking about 4g youtube streaming 720p (which i havent tried personally), you'll last more than an hour for sure.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't own an S3 myself, those stats I said are based on what 2 friends have complained about and showed me. It wasn't Youtube. Anyway, since I don't own one myself I can't confirm anything about it.

Personally with a Galaxy Nexus I get roughly 80 minutes from the tests I tried. Who knows, maybe my battery is a defective one, everything else on it is defective. I already bought a replacement battery a long time ago that supposedly lasts 2x longer. I haven't tried it yet since I only recently got it back from Samsung's insult department, and now using a defective phone would make me rage so I haven't tried.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    $200 with a 2 year contract through AT&T is exactly what a high end Android phone costs.

... and after 2 years of use, the Apple phone will be worth FAR more $$$ than any 2 year old Android. I can sell my iphone 4 for enough to pay for my iPhone 5. :)

... i wont buy their computers or tablets, but their phones are excellent.