Password reset software

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Goutan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Hey all, I have a job today that I need to get past a windows password that the client set years ago. The intention is for me to actially reset the password, but I don't know any reviews off the top of my head of software that actually works. If anybody has experience with a program that does windows password resets, a referral would be great. Also, just so I don't sound like I'm skipping a step: there is no admin account with a default password.

Sorry for the wrong forum for this - I'm in a bit of a rush to find the software. And yeah, I have used google, but I'm away that much of the software advertising this is just a virus. Also, I'm hoping to find something that will work for free.

Edit: The OS is Windows xp.

Thanks all :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. dfwny

dfwny Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SSC Ed. 1GB
    Try booting into safe mode and see if an Admin account is available. Also, it would help to know which version of windows it is.

Note that chances are good a Mod will move your post to the proper forum category soon.

3. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Oh man, sorry - It's windows xp. And there is no admin account. Definitely checked for that ;)

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I've got something to say about this that's really important...

I run a couple computer repair businesses and we get people ALL the time wanting us to rip a pass from their machine. We require proof of ownership of the computer before stripping or replacing the password.

Aside from that, try Googling for "passrecover"... you'll find your way to the appropriate one if you know what you're doing. No offence, Goutan, it's just that it's my job to ensure that I'm not opening up a stolen computer to a theif.

**EDIT: Goutan, there's ALWAYS an Admin account.

Forgot to mention that you should be looking for an "offline" software.... ;)

5. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
  6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ wubbles - you ever used Ophcrack? It's a PAIN, but it *is* free.
    (you have to have a dictionary to use it properly, and it takes LOTS of time)

7. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    I have used it with success on XP machines with the LiveCD version.

@OP If it an XP machine I would first try logging in with the hidden admin account. Alt+Ctrl+Del on the login screen to bring up the text login. Enter 'Administrator' as the username and no password.

8. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's much faster alternatives to finding a current password. With the offline software, you can simply strip the password and be completely done with it in about 2 minutes flat (from boot to done).
    And, it works on ALL versions of Windows. The only drawback is that if someone was dumb enough to encrypt their data, it's tied to the pass, so when the password gets stripped, the encrypted data is no longer there at all...

@Goutan: Do you have to get into the current Windows system to retrieve data, or are you just bringing a computer back to life? If the latter, you should just format and install Windows from scratch...
    Otherwise, there are MANY options for bypassing Windows login credentials - like putting the drive in another machine to transfer data from it.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it's the account password you want UBCD has a DOS based app that will clear all passwords in about 10secs.

It's been so long since I used it that I forget the name, but it should be easy to find on the disk.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  10. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    To ammend something: The admin account is there, but has an altered password. Also, I don't do repairs for a living - it's more of as a side job. All of my "clients" are family friends, so I can generally trust that they aren't trying to get me to crack someone else's computer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll sift through them now. And I am attempting to retrive data as well. I just hoped that recovering/reseting the password would be an easier option than pulling the data off then reformatting. The job is an hour and a half away from where I live (which is where an alternative desktop would be that I have access to), so I generally want to stick with making the repair w/o the assistance of my own hardware.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
  12. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Downloaded all 3, thanks for the suggestions - going to run them to figure out which one I can get through the quickest.

13. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    Here you go

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Burn it to a CD, run it and voilĂ .
    you can also put it in a USB drive, it takes a few more steps this way though

14. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    OPHCrack did it in my job XP computer in about 5 minutes.

15. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    UBCD cleared it in 2minutes :D

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice one. ;)

Did you have any trouble finding it? I still can't remember the name....

Edit: I remember now, it's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  17. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I think I flushed some password with it.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  19. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Our candidates are free.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Rixler is free as well. Yes, you can buy it as if you read the license, it's free for personal use and requires a license for professional use (unless they've recently changed it). I've been using it for years.