4tb hard drive problem

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Bloodduty, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    Hi all hope you can help 4 tb drive is only showing as a 2tb and 1.6tb on the marvel controller and if I use the intel controller it will only show just 1.6tb

System

Asus maximus 3 formula only Sata 2

Hitachi 4tb sata3

And I did read about UEFI or something if so pcie cards witch one will run that at the full 4 tb

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    OMG lol i woke up this morning and read this i been setting up pc's for 20 years, i see that table all the time MBR GPT when inisilizing the disks and i never give it a thought to ask what that is or look for what it was, just that useing GPT was better for raid setups for less risk of errors not that i ever got one on MBR

thank you sir

got loads of people that think i know every thing about pc's i say i dont well hire is one i just learned and its the most simple one

:banana:

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Sure man anytime.

One other main feature of GPT is they aren't limited to 4 partitions like MBR disks. Pretty handy for SSD's imo...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

5. mangekyo_itachi

mangekyo_itachi Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Dual-X
    Thanks for the share :), been thinking about this option too. Glad i came across this thread

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Glad I could help. :thumbup:

I have to wonder why someone goes with 4TB HDD's unless you're storing 100's of Blue Ray files or something....

If you do a lot of read/writes & data transfers then multiple drives are the way to go; it allows the user to download to one drive while at the same time extract a file on another for example.
    Imagine trying to do that on a single drive.....

It's why I have 5x 500GB Barracuda's instead of say 2 2TB drives. Of course the flip side of that is I have used up all my SATA ports....lol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  7. mangekyo_itachi

mangekyo_itachi Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Dual-X
    And here i thought im the only one connecting too many HDDS to my CPU :). I have 3 1TB WD Caviar Blue sata3 on my CPU, all of them are about to be full (about 50GB left each) because i have my back up of installers on them. Im been thinking if i should trust and buy 2TB external drive(WD) to back up them all and free up space on my internal drives. What you guys think? Im having doubts about it since most of the external drives just fail without warning. :)

And oh, is it normal for HDD to reach about 40C, on running some apps? i heard its hot already for HDD.. thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    steam games and origin games

you may find this hard to belive but steam alone will fill 2.6tb of storage not that ill have time to play them all there just there wehn i want to play them

not sure on origin

9. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    The way I have it set up is

Revo Drive 240Gb for backups
    2 OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb raid 0 16k for OS
    4Tb mounted to a folder for steam games and origin games

Basically if I need to re do my pc I use a image that I made perfect that only puts the OS back on and all the programs and all the games saves don’t move at all I also relocate the document folder to the 4Tb to