Moving to US. Need help..?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Ice Cube, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Dude i know, (as well as he does) what the middle finger means. We are not as ignorant as you might believe.
    He is a Hindu, and he really wears no ornaments except a gold chain across his neck.

He knows another guy who works at the same place, but thanks for your help. :)

2. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Please answer this part.

3. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670

From North India, or more specifically from Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.(Look it up if you have to.)
    He is a Hindu. Do people really mistake all Indians for Muslims? That's just ignorant IMHO.

He is a strict vegetarian. Veg food is easily available, right?

The Sikhs and Hindus are similar in many aspects. Hindus consider the cow to be sacred, and so do the sikhs. Hence beef is a no-no. However many of them do consume it, although not publicly/ infront of family and friends.

As i said, he's not a muslim, so things like praying 5 times in private, ramadan don't apply.

Tanks for your reply... :)

4. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
    I read the subject title and thought the OP meant they needed psychiatric help because they were moving to America :p

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In my post I tried to cover all possibilities, I didn't mean to single out any one different religion or cultural aspect :) I know it's around 80? percent of Indians are Hindu. This makes things a bit easier for your friend because there isn't the religious stereotyping towards Hindu's as there are towards Muslims.

Vegetarian food is reasonably easy to come by, most places offer a couple of vegetarian options if dining out. The options may not be brilliant though, depending on where you go. Supermarkets stock vegetarian needs (basically all the fruit and vegetables that non-vegetarians eat), although better options may be found at food markets/farmers markets if they exist in that area. Health food stores stock the remainder of what he may need.

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^
    It's the Bay Area; meat is likely harder to come by than vegetarian cuisine.*

*Only slightly sarcastic...:)

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Congrats to YOU for your first post! :D

8. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    What for? Getting a job? Sorry it isn't me..
    BTW, could you tell me the address of the shop from where you purchased an "AMD Athlon 64":3eyes: power supply?:bang:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    You want to know how comfortable he'll be? Google Indian cuisine mountain view California , that sums it up

10. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    He won't be the only person in that Google office that is from India. Assimilate into the population and make new friends.

11. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I am reminded of a story told by the vice president of a company where I used to work, at his retirement party: he was coming from Germany to study in the US. In the middle of the summer. He had been told that the climate of the US was cold. He arrived in New York wearing his warmest clothes and his father's military coat from the Russian Front.

Don't do this.

Culturally, the only thing I would advise for your friend is not to bargain for goods and services, as I believe has already been suggested. Eating with the hand might attract attention, but I don't think most people in the US would find it offensive.

12. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    He has nothing to worry about.. Mountain View is filled with Indians and Indian places to eat n stuff.

Btw I am an Indian in the US.. so I guess I can say what I said :)

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I didn't even find it offensive....and I live/work in the US....lol.

Give him a few weeks here....he may well need it.....lol It's "election season"...that alone is enough to drive most people insane.

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    to answer your question from kinda a similar situation (i'm 22 too), improving your future career (curriculum and learning) or even earning a good amount of money (probably the first one with 22 years old).

Im mostly on the same boat (not leaving spain tho, but also a vgood company in other spanish city, something like what google is considered in teh US, but here xD!) thats a good reason to move with 22 YO.
    When, like me,you live in a country where IT guys are paid less than anyone at same university/master level (at least before crisis... now we have kinda low paid work, others dont)... (in india, every1 gets paid low tho, but everything there is cheaper i think) you have to seek for alternatives, and moving to another country to earn a good amount of money looks good (UK maybe there i'll go :nerd:).

Just check at this reason:
    Spain -> UK/Other european countries jump in €€ its like 3x salary (for programmers and such), while everything has same cost (or even cheaper... i buy lot of things in amazon uk, my whole house is full of UK adaptors ._.).
    India -> US i guess much bigger (even if everything is much more expensive in US, he can save money...).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  15. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, i would assume it's like moving to any other country/state, wear what you feel most comfortable, be nice to people, and for US only = give a good TIP to waitress (ive heard that in some places, id you don't give, some of them would ask for it) :).

Latter ofc, ask her to give you back ;).

16. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Also, apart from CA, i want to know what the US is like, i mean what is the situation of Indians in US in general. I've read in online forums that they are targeted by hate groups and are despised by the Americans. Is this true..? Just curious.

You read his on the internet? it must be true:)

Honestly, your friend will be fine. The US is a melting pot of people from every where. I can't think of another country that you can find soo many cultures that can live next door to each other and not try to kill each other.
    Sure somone won't like your friend because he's a foreigner, some people don't like me because I'm too good looking:cry:

17. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    An Indian in Santa Clara County? There's a bunch of them and no one will care.
    That said the shorts and tee shirt comments are pretty funny, the south bay isn't that warm.

Laid back, very open and welcoming. Expensive? Hell yeah, but with a google salary he should be fine.

Yes, we have crime here, but honestly, don't worry about it. Just come, be open minded, and have fun.

18. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Probably the best advice I can give you, depending on the situation you will be in of course, is to keep your original culture .... it's very easy to adopt a new culture while living in a foreign country (not that there is anything wrong with that) !

I bet he didn't get a job at Google because of his understanding of a specific part of the US. No offense intended, but the US isn't the centre of the world even though sometimes it appears like it. Some people get a job then learn about that country, others learn about a country then decide to work there ....

Hmm may I suggest Canada known for it's multicultural societies ... Just so you can use it in the future :D

19. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I had a coworker who has dual citizenship, US and Canada. He said he had been in fights in the US, but got the best beating of his life when he went into the wrong neighborhood in Toronto. However he moved to Canada where he could get healthcare.

20. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Thanks for the replies everyone, great tips..