my new build is disappointing ??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by handakes, Aug 2, 2012.

1. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    hi there,

so i just got my new build up and running, here are the specs

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.3 (OC) quad core
    RAM: Gskill 8G @ 1800Mhz
    Mobo: Asus P8z68-Pro-V Gen 3
    GPU: Gainward GTX 670
    PSU: NZXT 750 watt
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik
    H.D.D: WD Blue 500 GB (7200 RPM, don't remember the cache)

All games running @ maxed with 4x msaa

so, i was expecting a solid 60 FPS at most games, and i got what i wanted (or very close) ... NFS the run is running at approximately 80 FPS or sometimes more..BF3 running at 56-60 FPS for the most part..drops to the 40s at times of explosions or heavy effects..

but i got a somehow disappointing performance in both crysis 2 and arkham city..

in Crysis 2, i am always in the 50s (with DX 11 patch and HD textures pack..running patch 1.9)..but if i do as much as shoot some guys and we are in the open, i get dropped to 40FPS, and explosions blow me back to the 30s

now for Arkham city..this game is just running plain bad..i get solid 60s but suddenly (at a start of a fight, new areas, sometimes totally random) i can drop to as low as 23fps! (in the benchmark)..and the many FPS shift are just disturbing when i am playing..

My guess is, it's the streaming (UT3 Textures streaming) who's killing my FPS..since my HDD is not as fast as the rest of my system ( i didn't have enough juice left for an SSD at this time)..

don't get me wrong, each and every one of those FPSs are withing the playable (and even acceptable) range..it's just that it's disappointing to see my new build perform like that on current generation games..i was hoping (just hoping) for some future proofing with this build..saaay..2-3 years at least?

i just can't see this happening with this performance.

thoughts?

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    To have a solid 60+ in all games you need sli 670

3. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    That fps sounds about right, batman game can be really screwy in dx11 because it's coded shocking, just play it in dx9 it doesn't look much worse imo. Crysis sounds about right too.

Not really, if you resort to the forbidden art of lowing graphic settings/AA slightly down from max. Even i can get 60fps in bf3 at my res but it isn't very pretty.

4. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Lower the graphic settings, or you can lower the resolution and turn wide off.

5. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    well, i just wanted to know if that sounds right or not..i was concerned that there is something wrong here or there..but since you guys all approve, now i am kind of in peace with it :D

i am not interested in getting a better performance (i can do this by tweaking some un-needed post FX, lowering some unnoticed graphic options or even OCing a bit) i just wanted to make sure that everything is working correctly..and that those results are normal..

one final thing though, so you guys don't think that having an SSD would make much difference in this situation of mine?..the thought of "you did wrong by getting a cooler instead of an SSD" is just killing me here!

thanks for the speedy replies btw..

EDIT: forgot to say, i had a 7870 running on the same build and i had to return it for some issues it had, and i got the gtx 670 instead.

the performance is pretty much the same with this card, i can't see any difference in the FPS i got when using games for Benchmarks on both cards, that's what gave me the idea of another component bottle-necking the system in both conditions (making the performance identical) even though i boosted the GPU from a 7870 to a 670..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  6. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Those results aren't wrong at all. If you want better FPS you need more powerful equipment thrown into that PC chassis.

Going for GTX 670 SLi would indeed satisfy our gaming need for at least 1-1½ year with everything set to max.

7. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    ahm, thanks..could you please check out my Edited post above..just updated it :D
    P.S: still had to write another post to tell you i edited the last one..might as well write a new one instead..oh well.

and the SSD issue is still out there, too paranoid to let go!

8. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    SSDs are awesome but i have most games installed on my 1tb hdd and they run great. SSDs only really help games with streaming textures and large worlds (MMOs, ARMA 2 etc). They will make your system feel 100x more snappy and load os/programs much quicker tho so i would highly recommend one.

9. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    NFS The Run is capped at 30 fps, how did you get to 80?

10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Totally agree with killer.

When you can afford it, it is worth the money. With prices hitting new lows, I have OS and programs on one and Steam on another, no gaming off of spinners for me... ever.

11. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Batman dx11 is very badly implemented so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

BF3 really doesn't like msaa*4 any sort of smoke will make your fps drop, I run 2*msaa at 1920 and it looks fantastic and I get 90+ fps with drops to 70

If you want 100+ fps on bf3 just disable msaa and run fxaa (post aa) you won't get fps drops either with fxaa.

I don't have crysis 2 installed anymore but when I did I was running with a 570 and I don't remember having such big fps drops even with the hd/dx11 patch so maybe its a 600 series issue/drivers

12. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    Batman arkham city is a really badly coded game that requires alot of patching to run properly (hopefully the patches will come) and most reviews i've read/seen just say the same. My 680 @ +150 core clock does somewhat between 40-60 (with some drops to like 30 fps). Even sli results on that game are quite poor.
    And as far as crysis is concerned, once you put everyting on max with Hi-Res textures and dx11 it is a veeeeeeeery demanding game.
    your results are quite fine.
    the same stands for another game - witcher 2. most mid/top-end cards barely run it @ 30+ FPS, but i have to say it looks amazing.
    Ur build is actually fine, though i would add an SSD to make loading and bootup faster, especially as they are so cheap and will be getting even cheaper.

13. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    just run patch 1.1 ( i think) and it removes your cap for the gameplay part (cut-scenes are still capped though, but who cares :D)

i see, but all i can afford is a 60 Gb driver (and even that will take some serious time to come up with the cash needed), that wont be nearly enough for even 1 game beside the OS..

you guys mean that i have to be gaming off of my SSD to feel the difference?..only having an OS on the SSD won't do the trick?

i will be waiting on that price drop you guys are talking about :D, my build drained the hell out of my wallet for now..

and seems like all of you guys agree on the Batman department, nothing strange there though, the first Batman was buggy as hell...i had to use some Trainer/hack to get out of some buggy situations back in the day!

14. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    i will settle for 30 FPS only if i have it all MAX, WITH Uber sampling on!

it "IS" On, Right? :D

15. Ziggieke

Ziggieke Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 100 ME
    If you can afford the 60Gb, use it for the SSD caching purposes if nothing else. Linkie to a PDF explaining it a little.
    Or read some more here.

16. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    ^ my thoughts exactly, although i'd have to squeeze down my system to like..a 40Gb partition..that just can't be healthy, oh well ..

17. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I’d suggest just saving your money for now and not worry about putting an SSD in it right away. The longer you save the better the chance of getting a larger capacity driver for even less.

If you’re not up-to-date on the different brands\technologies, now would be a good time to do some reading.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    well yeah if you dial down the settings you may get a solid 60fps, but I do not really see 670 owners willing to do that as that`s a high end card.
    Edit and I was referring to him maxing out all games as he has Crysis 2 maxed out and cannot maintain 60fps at all times. I can max out Crysis 2 dx11 but it takes 2 580`s to run 60fps vsynched or higher no vsych at all times

19. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    already on it :D..thanks

yup, that's exactly how i fell, anything less than max at this point is kind of a bum cause i squeezed down to the last pinny i have in this..

thank you all guys, great community you have here :)

20. handakes

handakes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gainward GTX 670
    woho!...isn't that weird?!

i was playing with batman settings and i decided to take out the Vsync..just for the sake of testing..turned it off in the game's settings, and flipped the "Adaptive Vsyinc" on in the Nvidia Control panel..same settings..DX11..all maxed, guess what?..i got my solid 60!

drops are now to 45-47 and only happen when am inside buildings (god knows why, you'd figure the open world would be more work on the GPU, but oh well..no complains as long as it works)

only 1 area where i got the strangest 24 FPS in the world..and that's at the entrance of the courthouse in the 1st mission when Harvey is detaining catwoman (if anyone played the game)..and that's just a small hallway..how the hell am i getting 24 FPS here, and 60 fps out there?!

man, they really messed this game up pretty bad...bye bye good coding..more more ports are coming up with this poor performance..