F*ck Steam, F*ck Origin and all those other stupid games manegment programes.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sir Galahad, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I have my 2 cents to add.

I went to install Crysis 2 yesterday to play for a bit and it won't activate. Apparently Crysis 2 does a CPUID check and because I switched my 2600K for a 3770K it won't activate. I was forced to download a crack to play the game which I bought and own the DVD for.

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    he didn't have to sound like a priest to be taken seriously imo, personally i can take seriously those who yell stuff like f**k steam, no problem, as long as the user explains his reasons, doesn't matter if he's calm or angry, as long as it makes sense.

he sounded frustrated and his reasons seem to be shared by many, as such i see no problem with him shouting his frustration.

saying people who yell something like F**K origin can't be taken serious is a form of generalization best avoided, it is very restrictive and plain wrong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Auto updates and steam sales are all good services but that doesn't mean the OP doesn't have a point either.

I agree with the following comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    And to each his own.
    And I'm not saying a persons posts should be perfectly calm and the most logical posts ever when expressing issues.
    But, to me, his entire post read like one big screaming and pissing fit.

I've expressed my frustration with various items in the past and used profanity while doing it. The majority of people have.
    But, to throw such a fit because a game requires you to register with a service... and go off on some yelling fit because it doesn't go off smoothly just sounds childish to me.
    Specially since BF3's requirement for Origin has been known about, and more then talked about, since last year.

Yes Origin is a pain, I really don't like it and the service needs work. I've had issues with it, so have some of my friends. I had issues getting my old EA account to work with Origin. But, one e-mail and like ten minutes later and it was going fine. All you have to do is hit up Origin's support and they tend to resolve such issues very quickly.
    Issues pop up with PC games. Even when installing them and even getting them to start. It's not something that's only started with the creation of services like STEAM or Origin.
    Such issues have been around since the DOS days of gaming. It's a part of playing games on a PC.

It's not that he yelled "F**k origin", it's the manor in which his entire post read to me. And then throwing Steam in the title even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the issue...
    Might as well include UPlay... and D2D, or any program online that allows you to download a game that people might have a problem with.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    yea, a little excessive and exaggerated for sure lol :)

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    No, you're not forced to.
    You could've just simply ask on EA Help Center to reset your activation count if there's a problem with it.

While that may take longer than a day, I was able to reset my activation count on my Mass Effect DVD, in which I bought on release day.
    I had it reset around 4 months ago, so it's pretty recent, and possible.

Or, you could just activate its serial on Origin.
    It's possible, since my DVD copies of Burnout Paradise, Mass Effect 2, and Mirror's Edge were all activated just fine on Origin.

That is, of course, provided you would use Origin.

7. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Well, believe it or not...some people prefer sp campaigns over mp.

I am one of those people :)

8. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I only play SP RPG of the 'swords-and-sorcery' genre; e.g. TES.

I have no need for Internet connectivity to play, or at least I had not until publishers decided to implement it for their own selfish reasons. So, I do not play any games that have said requirement.

I am quite capable of searching for, and installing, updates and/or patches.

I do not need, and especially do I not want, publishers tracking my purchase and use of games.

I do want publishers 'sharing' my information. If I buy a license for a game, that is all the money I believe the publisher deserves. I see no reason to provide them with more income from selling my account and personal details.

I summary; I do not 'hate' these people. I simply refuse to support them.

9. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    For a person like me in Jamaica,were physical disc are rare and expensive($89+ja=1usd).
    Steam makes it a lot easier to buy game so i don't have to pirate them.
    But agree with OP to some extent.
    i think it should be a requirement to play the MP but for SP,you should just play the game.
    P.S...your previous EA account is now your Origin account(same info)

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    As am I. :)
    The last time I played any MP component of any game was when I was in the F.E.A.R. beta.
    And even with that I got bored after a while.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Can't believe no one mentions Uplay. especially when your forced to sign into through steam. If i want to play Driver: SF (likely future ubisoft titles too) i have to login to steam and login to Uplay. 2 logins through 1 service. i feel like going insane when i think about it.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, if we're gonna mention UPlay might as well mention Windows LIVE... and Rockstar Social Club...
    But, UPlay can be set to offline. So, I don't consider it a problem anymore, as I always have it set to offline.
    And Windows LIVE hasn't been an issue for a long time. I don't like the service, but I will give MS credit for at least fixing it. I haven't had any issues with Windows LIVE since Gears of War's release.

So far, IMO, Origin is still bottom of the barrel. Mostly because it removes my ability to keep all my games on one service.
    Even though some games require services like UPlay or Windows LIVE... or R* Social Club, I can still buy them through STEAM. Allowing me to keep them in one play and not spreading them across multiple services.

13. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Then by that logic you can also say Steam is the bottom of the barrel, as that doesn't allow you to keep all games on 1 service as they restrict certain games to needing Steam and certain digital games can only be purchased on Steam.

See this is always the thing that annoys me. Steam restricts games to only Steam/Steamworks = YAY Steam. EA resrticts games to Origin = OMG EA you suck. Valve only sell digital Valve games on Steam = YAY Steam, EA sells its games via nearly every digital service apart from Steam (we have no idea if this is EA or Valve at work) = OMG EA you suck.
    ---
    I have all my games on 1 service though, it's called Windows :D.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They could make it like Battle.net from Blizzard :)

No need for a program at all :)

15. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    No offense to your rant (I felt your pain at times) and don't take this as an attack but, if you actually came here first and read thru the BF3 threads or even posted a question you would have known orgin and an internet connection where required before you blew 50 bucks.

I don't feel sorry for you because your too lazy to do a little research before you buy a game. Deal with it or retire from gaming. More than 60% of games released now require steam, orgin or atleased an internet connection to play even offline.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Not sure if I didn't explain myself properly, or if you're choosing to miss what I tried to say.
    For me personally... ME. In my opinion and personal preference. I like Steam. And I personally choose and wish to keep as many of my games on Steam as possible.
    So, I can play my games and only use one program.
    My personal annoyance comes from EA's refusal to put EA titles on Steam anymore because they are trying to promote Origin.
    Making it so I have to use a separate program to play a game I could have interest in instead of allowing me the choice to purchase/play it on Steam.

I know some people don't like Steam and dislike STEAMworks titles. And that's fine. I like Steam and choose to make use of it. And as such, I enjoyed being able to keep my games in one place. Until EA got a stick up their ass and pulled games off Steam and started refusing EA releases on Steam.

It's a simple matter of personal taste. I like Steam. And I dislike having to spread my games across more then one service.
    And, if you think that's the only reason I dislike Origin... you are greatly mistaken.

17. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yeah, and for every game you will need to login every time when you want to paly.
    Steam is OK, Origin is in beta-state. Deal with it :nerd:

18. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Steam is hellalot better than all other online games management platforms required to play games..

Only other digital portal I like other than steam is: GOG.com .

Rest everything is bull****.

Edit: Actually Rockstar club gave me no big problems either, generally you just required to atleast ping those publishers server once to activate games. <- you can still remove the net plug and play the games (I guess)

19. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    If you think its hard to get steam\orgin to work, come back in time to the days of trying to play multiplayer Decent on Kali or Kahn on MS-DOS 5.0

No mouse point and clicking trying to get that fake Lan to work on 33.3kbps connection.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why exactly should EA distribute their games on Steam and pay Valve? If EA should have all of their games on Steam, Valve should have their games on Origin as well. You can't damn 1 company for taking the same actions as another that they compete with. Valve distributes their games on Steam. EA distributes their games on Origin. Until Valve starts distributing their games on Origin, your argument against EA for dropping Steam is pretty well moot.