Why Windows 8 will wreck what Microsoft has built for the mainstream audience.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pixelsmack, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I actually think the Metro interface will be good for controlling via Unified Remote (i use this on my android phone) when displayed on the TV. I'm in the process of getting some parts for a media box for the living room so I'm going to try out Win8 before I buy another win7 license to see how it goes.

2. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    I hated WP7 interface and goes without saying that i hate HATE Metro interface. Seriously, whats up with Microsoft ?

3. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I have been using Windows versions since 3.0 and have always been pretty excited to adopt the new OS. Never found Vista as bad as others stated, once SP1 came out. This is the first time I, actively, plan on skipping a version. Windows 7 does everything I need. I don't use a tablet, nor do I want my PC looking like one. There should have been a PC version of 8 and then a version for tablet and phones...but that would be more costly. Microsoft needs a competitor in the OS business. Linux is NOT the answer...they haven't put a dent in MS. Time will tell...

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Sadly, Win8 failing is the only way for us to have a chance of the Metro approach not being taken further in the future Windows releases

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this is the whole problem.... No one wants a 299$ piece of OS that is gona turn there PC into a freaking cell phone.

6. XSpartan

XSpartan Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M OC
    I'm glad to have a 27" iMac

7. XSpartan

XSpartan Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M OC
    By the way...Do you know guys when OSX Mountain Lion is gonna be released? :biggun:

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There's still a desktop..

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    meh..... I have no problems with it.. I been using it for a couple weeks now and although I haven't used the metro app much, I do use it for reading my Hotmail at log in and checking weather and just noticed that it synced my Facebook contacts with windows metro, so basically every phone number that's in my android phone is now on the metro app.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I think this was more of an issue in the past than it is now, at least for many users. With SSD's becoming more mainstream, the whole 'rebooting' to enter a new O/S is a lot more fluid than it used to be. It's literally a case of a few seconds to boot into a new O/S and start doing whatever it is you want.

11. Desi26

Desi26 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC
    Still has a desktop, buts used as a type of 'App' now. There is no accessible start menu, which drives me insane, and you have to rely on posting your programs as tiles on your 'Start' home page.

Im really trying to like it......but I can only see use for it if you have a touchscreen monitor or like a giant android based device....

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Like I said NO ONE wants a PC to feel, act, look like a damn CELL PHONE. Not that it matters to me or many other people Win7 is gonna be the new XP for years to come.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i have SSD too, yes its definitely faster, but speed isn't what i was referring to. I was saying its not exactly fluid and efficient.

Now if you had an icon, on both Linux and Windows, where 1 click will reboot your PC and automatically take you into the other OS without the GRUB menu...then i would say that is far more fluid and efficient.
    But alas, GRUB requires some keyboard intervention, navigating past the memory tests and recovery modes to select your OS (you can customize it to just show the 2 OS's)

However, even on SSD, waiting that roughly 20 seconds minus bios, may not quite be to taste for those who game and do other things equally. Occasional gaming like i do, then its not too bad.

BTW, i do dual boot myself...well not atm cause i'm having severe Linux issues ever since i upgraded my hardware...but just saying if it was more efficient to dual boot, i think more gamers would be more willing. Though Linux does have some steep learning curves if you ever encounter an issue. Like i am currently.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I must admit I'm looking at it from that perspective, I imagine hardcore gamers would have problems. But then again, wouldn't they be less likely to need to boot between O/S's? They'll mostly be in Windows anyway.

I've dual booted for years now, since 2001 or so at least. I suppose it's second nature to me.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    No one?
    Seems like Year and dsbig don't have any problems with it.
    Well, at least most level-headed and open-minded people don't have problems with Win8.

16. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    There is no doubt about it for me, I'll be getting Win8 as soon as it is available. Sure, the Metro UI isn't the greatest on a traditional desktop PC, but then again you really have little reason to rely on it. The desktop still functions as it always has. To me, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. That is, IF you take the time to really notice them. Sadly, most people are to focused on the Metro UI and are not even looking at what else is under the hood, and there is a lot more there that what most people are aware of. Oh well, to each their own.

17. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I've never skipped over a new OS before now, but I will be skipping Win8. Win7 works great, and looks a lot better than metro.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'll be grabbing a copy at some point.... I actually like the UI for the most part. My only real issue with it, is lack of customizability without 3rd party apps (which has been true of every Windows release)...

19. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    imaginate windows 8 on samsug galaxy s4 :nerd::wanker::bang:

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I'm finding Gnome 3.4's interface to be far superior to W8's. I really wish MS would have at least chosen to mimic this. i know some still wouldn't like it, but at least its a far more productive interface once you get to know it.

I really like how you can move mouse to far upper left, and the launcher screen pops up without having to actually click it. mousing to corner again releases it. I also like how they did the app switching from this screen, you can zoom in on each open window to quickly view it better, nice if you have many text documents open... Overall, much faster imo.