Building a PC (looking for advices)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sirex, Jul 5, 2012.

1. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Onboard video can be used simultaneously with discrete video.

According to what data? That's a pretty bold claim. I don't know how reliable this article is but it puts Asrock on first place in return rate at 1.9% and Asus on last place at 2.66%.

Again according to what data?

Can you elaborate? If a set works at a particular speed and timings, it makes no difference what brand it is

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Thanks lehtv! :thumbup:

3. ATR

ATR Member Guru

GPU:
    amd 7850 CF
    According to return rate % where I work, and the knowledge of building computers there - pretty much all the boards that I have processed for warranty as doa have been Asrock boards.

Again through return rates and personal experience building PC's where I work.

Stability - ram no matter the speed and timings are quite unstable. especially xmp ram as it is essentially overclocking ram (Yes they are tested at the overclock as working fine) but again anything overclocked creates more instability to what it originally had.

If you want the best reliabilty ram go kingston - everyone knows they have the most reliable ram with one of the lowest rate of returns, but you pay a bit more for them. Gskill are cheaper option which offer similar reliabilty - but have a greater chance of being unstable, but as I said If you get a good set they are really really good and stable.

I only know and work with kingston, gskill and corsair ram here as the majority of PC retailers in Australia only stock these 3 brands, I know of mushkin and team/elite or something but have no working knowledge of those kits.

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    How well does Asrock sell compared to other brands?

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I had 2 MSI motherboards, both did black screen on me. Spent week reviving, saved only one.
    Should I start telling not to buy MSI mobos?

I bought my bro cheapest 775 asrock 4 years ago, yet it does well nowadays.

I am sorry for you bad luck with ASrock.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  6. ATR

ATR Member Guru

GPU:
    amd 7850 CF
    out of the 3 main brands we sell (asrock,gigabyte,asus) they sell less than the others. a bit behind asus. gigabyte I believe sells the most as they are at a good balance between price/performace. Asus are better, but as they are more expensive they tend to sell a bit less.

7. Sirex

Sirex Guest

GPU:
    GTS 250
    Still couldn't decide wich mobo to choose. Now i am thinking about asus p8z77-v le or asrock extreme 4. But i see more bad words about asrock mobos than asus. Also saw info about Win 8 ready mobos: http://event.asus.com/mb/windows_8/

Is it worth to buy P8Z77-V mobo and spend more money for having Win 8 ready motherboard?

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Windows 8 Ready is just a marketing gimmick. Nothing to it at all. But that ASUS is a nice board

9. Sirex

Sirex Guest

GPU:
    GTS 250
    I decided to go for p8z77-v le instead of extreme 4. I will feel safer. Am i right by saying that it's not worth getting p8z77-v (not le) if I want to overclock 3570k up to 4.3-4.5 GHz and not more (because of temperatures).
    Are there other reasons to get p8z77-v instead of LE version not including SLI?

Will Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO be good enought if i change voltage? Is it a lot better than stock cooler?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

p8z77-v le
    or
    p8z77-v le plus
    ?

EDIT: Now I mentioned that, I notice the 'plus' has an extra PCI-E slot, as well as a different Audio chip.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    P8Z77-V LE Plus has SLI for less than P8Z77-V but lacks the Intel NIC and wireless

12. Sirex

Sirex Guest

GPU:
    GTS 250
    That Intel NIC makes big difference (latency or something)? Well, if not, then maybe i am ok with P8Z77-V LE. Not planning to use SLI.

lehtv, You suggested Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Will it be good enought if i change voltage?

Also can't get answers anywhere about WIDI. 3570K has WIDI, yes? Do i need wireless if i want to use WIDI on TV? What is WIDI maximum distance?

13. harsh60

harsh60 Guest

GPU:
    i945G
    Your PC Bulid is Very Good there are no bad parts very good build

14. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    It's better but it doesn't matter much. I'd pay maybe $5 for it

Yeah, it can do minor overvolting. But i5-3570K doesn't have much room for overclocking with overvolting, it gets hot fast even with higher end coolers. You can reach 4.2-4.4GHz with a 212 Evo while high end coolers hit a temperature wall at 4.6-4.7GHz or so.

15. Sirex

Sirex Guest

GPU:
    GTS 250
    Thank you all for your opinions. Helped a lot! Already ordered parts.