GTX 680 VSync Stuttering Issue (Video Comparison)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Brendruis, May 8, 2012.

1. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I think that's the difference now. I wonder why adaptive causes drops to 58...perhaps the power management is more aggressive now on 600 series.

Basically I think we are looking at a few residual issues with VSYNC bug as well as some over-aggressive down-clocking of the driver causing these problems

I can't yet force myself to enable max performance globally because it uses unnecessary power and higher temps when I'm just using Firefox...so inevitably I forget to enable max performance on a per game basis.

It wasn't an issue before, but I guess the algorithm is different now.

2. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super

Ok,

NV Power Management Mode = Adaptive + reboot

Three test runs:

Opening PAN to car scene before race.

Finland.

1. FPS = One 57 FPS reading, 59.1-60.1 (No visual stutter detected)
    2. FPS = One 58 FPS reading, 59.1-60.1 ( No Visual stutter detected)
    3. Visual stutter observance test: No visual stutter detected.

* Test [1] was followed with a race, (No visual stutter detected)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    NV Power Management Mode = Preferred Maximum Performance + Reboot.

Three test runs:

Opening PAN to car scene before race.

Finland.

FPS = One (at beginning) 56.1-62.1 FPS reading, 59.1-60.1 following (No visual stutter detected)
    FPS = One (at beginning) 59.1-60.1 FPS reading, 59.1-60.1 following (No visual stutter detected)
    FPS = One (at beginning) 50.1-59.1 FPS reading, 59.1-60.1 following (No visual stutter detected)

**NVIDIA provided GEN3 PCIE enabler enabled through out testing.

4. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Interesting results OpenSystem.. the adaptive results look just the same as mine.. However I haven't tested on max performance preference.

I wonder why it is on previous generation it is easily capable of 60FPS without these strange variations.

The stutters to 50FPS remind me of the issue in RAGE where I believe it stutters as content is loaded. There is a video in one of the threads here on the issue.

I know the visual stutter perception is very subjective so your own opinion is justified - personally I can see it stutter if it drops to 56fps I can definitely see that. 50fps forget about it is very easily visible to me at least.

5. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm Just as puzzled with the results.

Normally I'd notice the slightest dip below 60FPS

But not in that fraction of a second at the beginning when those < 60 FPS readings occur and the 50 FPS reading after reset.

There was no stuttering even though I'd expect it from the reading. (I realize the subjective position here in light of objective results, I really didn't think stutter was beyond my perception however :( )

I'm also curious as to what the FPS reading's refresh rate is within MSI Afterburner's OSD.

6. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    When I had a 680, I set prefer max performance globally, but then just set the browser and media center to normal performance via there own profile. Just an idea.

7. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Ah ok do it backwards kinda.. Makes sense to me.. that's a good one.

I may set it this way in the meantime to alleviate some of the problem.

nVidia did say in their presentation that most gamers don't adjust their settings whatsoever... that they just use the default... So they need to be a little more conservative with the algorithm in the adaptive mode.. the downclocking is simply too aggressive now or timed improperly... as well as adjusting whatever outstanding issues exist with VSYNC and latency.

Just my 2cents

8. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Wow have you guys tried Syndicate?

Really bad unacceptable stuttering in single GPU GTX 680 maximum performance preferred.. ranges from 58-61 but feels very jerky.. specifically right when you turn the power back on in first level... playing with controller..

When enable SLI...issue is alleviated some but still there.

9. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Jest tested.

During opening interrogation scene, noticeable hitching and stutter corresponding with FPS drops to 58.x and even when at 59.1-60.1

When in control of playable character after the interrogation scene, noticeable stutter occurring frequently during character movement and character view movement (*using a xbox 360 controller). Stutter occurs even when FPS are at 59.1-60.1.

What fixed 98% of stutter from me was to limit FPS @ 60 via MSI Afterburner's FPS limiter.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  10. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Thx for testing Open. I'll try that and maybe I can play the game.. but by now I would really just like to see this finally working right nVidia.. that would be really cool..

We can suggest ways to reproduce it and test games all day long... which is what I feel like sometimes when my only gaming time is spent seeing which games nVidia might detect the problem in.. but at the end of the day there is some software problem at the root that needs to be solved by development team.

11. simmerfan

simmerfan Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    As I am planing to buy a GTX 690 thats what I wanted to hear. Thank you Brendruis. I want to be sure it's not a hardware design problem. Than I can order the card right now and wait for the software fix.

But this is a thread for GTX 680 so I also like to know if one GTX 690 has the same problem as two GTX 680 in SLI. I have heard it's functionality is pretty much identical.

Cheers from Sweden

12. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    The 690 has the same issue. This problem is less apparent in SLI because of alternate frame rendering. I am uncertain whether this is a software or hardware design problem honestly but I am really hoping it is software...otherwise I am looking at selling these and getting something else.

We will see how the next driver helps things.. Personally if they aren't a dramatic improvement I am jumping ship. It has been nearly 4 MONTHS now (GTX 680 launched March 22nd)! I can't believe I'm saying that as an nV straight up fanboy and user since RivaTNT2! Please fix this. It is unbelievable to me that this passed through quality control in the state it was at release.

Both of my cards are perfect in every respect, P15,600 3DMark11, no driver crashes, no artifacts, no problems at all with the exception of the VSYNC bug.. it is so maddening.. I just want them to work NORMALLY. I'd rather downgrade to 580SLI now and get P10,500 score but at least it will be smooth. :bang::bang::bang:

13. simmerfan

simmerfan Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    Ok. Better wait a little more then. Thanks again Brendruis.

14. simmerfan

simmerfan Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  15. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    Ok i think will have to had another game

Lately i have told all the game i have install run great.But i was feeling to play NFS shift and what a mess.My fps is always at 60 fps but sometime i have so mutch stuttering .Lets say i lead the race and i'm at 60 frames for nothing thats start to stuttering like if i was runing at 10 frame but im still at 60 frame.Thats run like this for around 5 to 10 seconds and it start to come back to normal.

I have try few set of driver,uninstall the game,run with v-sync or adaptive v-sync and it change nothing that run like crap.So now Brendruis i really know
    how you feel that p***d me so mucth.So i uninstall the game completly for now and i will wait for new release:bang::bang::bang::bang:

16. xenphor

xenphor Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6850 1GB
    Did this issue ever get resolved? I have a 680 as well.

17. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    No, I don't think so. After returning my 7970 Ghz Edition because of the annoying flickering, I'm using my old 5850 again and would really like something faster. Yet AMD 7xxx cards still flicker and NV 6xx cards apparently still stutter...

18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    The 600 series are fine once you gets to know them, for ex. you'll find many games need a frame rate limit set, the cards can have their boost disabled which irons things out a little, and the drivers (at least 310.61) are moving in the right direction.
    But sure, first things first, disable boost and run it on one stable clock while gaming.
    here's the first level of hitman @60fps with all the important candy maxed, liquid mercury my friend.
    [​IMG]

Benching with adaptive v sync>
    [​IMG]

Yeah i've always used v sync, if i have frame rate limit set i'll use full v sync, and when not i'll use adaptive, always disabling it in-game.

19. xenphor

xenphor Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6850 1GB
    I don't have hitman so I can't test it myself. I do have Rage but didn't have the frame drops that I've seen in videos. Metro 2033 is the most visually inconsistent game I've had so far with lots of stuttering (along with Diablo 3 as well, tons of stuttering); although I think that may be because of the game itself. Are there any other prominent games that feature this problem that I could test?

I don't see how frame limiting helps because enabling V-sync should limit the frame rate according to the monitor's refresh rate. Do you use Nvidia's frame limiter?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    My preferred setting is no frame rate limiter while using adaptive v sync.
    However what happens more and more nowadays is that without a limiter the games are stuttery - many games have in-built limiters and interestingly without them enabled the games are stuttery, if however the games are stuttery and have no in-built limiter then i'll use inspector, like i do with sniper elite v2.
    Generally the games i go for are the more demanding ones out there.
    *of course i'm on 60Hz monitor.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012