Xonar STX or Phoebus

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by liakinen, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I tested it with about 5 games and had no issues.
    I heard about 1 game having issues because of punkbuster and it has been fixed with a driver update released a few days ago.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    driver released fixed it like 4 or 5 days ago.

and yes 4 people is A LOT

3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    No problems with mine. Once I figured out the settings etc.,I was good to go with every game I have. Including BF 3 with the original drivers.

4. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Mind not being a major smartass when you comment? When I said a lot of people, I'm not just referring to Newegg alone, that was just an example. Also good for 4-5 days ago, I don't have the time to check every sound card in existence for fixes.

I was just giving a warning out that some games had issues with the card.

Cool, that is great, it's fixed. Instead of being a troll about everything, you could just simply say it's not an issue anymore.

Way to be a smartass.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    He is not being a smartass he is just giving his opinion.

As for the BF3 issue, it seems on limited people had it to begin with and it was a compatibility issue with Punkbuster, not the game nor card.

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    For driver fixes etc.,all you had to do was check right here. I posted them a long time ago as did a few others.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Always take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt. If there isn't a "verified owner" tag next to the review, there's always a good chance that the reviewer doesn't own the product or simply wants to bash the product....or it's from an employee of a competing company (which has happened before). Newegg always has been and always will be a poor choice of review sources. It's hard for them to filter legit reviews from BS reviews....it's also hard to know if the negative reviews are based on user induced issues or issues with the product itself.

Also, this section is pretty good at getting threads about audio card drivers when they're released...lol

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea i agree i see alot of people who don't even own the product post neg reviews just to bash it. Some times newegg catches them, some times they dont.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    With any new products it is always best to talk to actual owners, instead of people bashing the products are just spreading 3rd hand misunderstood info.

"I have a friend who has a cousin had has trouble with that card!"

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    im not being a smart ass, i responded directly to your comment " check newegg lots of people are having issues". not my fault you interpreted it wrong.

11. liakinen

liakinen Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    About Newegg we have to take into consideration the ignorance of many users. For example: This "memory kit is sh@t" it says 2400mhz and runs at 1333mhz on my system.
    hmm Ok does your system support it, do you know what xmp profile in bios is ?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    this is the comment we all responded too. When looking at those reviews it was 4 people with problems. only 2 of 4 have verified owner status

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Exactly.... Can't count the number of times I've read a negative product review that was the result of ignorance or lack of knowledge/understanding on the user's part.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would get ST because STX is has less stable clock. And to be PCIe they used additional PCI2PCIe bridge as it's not native. With Phobeus I do not know. But 7.1 Soundcard has electronic to power all those outputs which may cause interferences and leaves less space for Stereo which you actually intend to use.
    For stereo ST if you have free PCI, if not then STX. For 5.1/7.1 movies Phobeus.

And for games? It depends on your preference, someone likes subwoofer explosions and 7.1. But for me stereo sound is more accurate and clean.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Phoebus is natice PCI-E if that helps.
    BTW, the ST has a seperate IC to reduce any jitter found in the clocking signal but that doesn't mean the STX has a "less stable clock".

Personally, For me, nothing beats a good surround sound system for gaming, especially when it is turned up loud and you have excellent directional audio. A loud speaker system is not always practical though so headphones come in handy no matter what.

16. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    You don't have to go to Newegg etc. to find negative comments on hardware that people don't own. You get that right here. As ROBSCIX mentioned above.... Only the "owners" of various hardware should be taken seriously. Everyone else should simply pay attention to what real owners are saying,and maybe learn something. While everyone is entitled to an opinion,that opinion should be based on actual knowledge of any given hardware device. To do otherwise, serves only to confuse potential buyers.

17. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Speaking as an STX owner:

I have never had problems with the Xonar STX under Windows, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and haven't had any problems with it for gamming. For music it's simply awesome.

Under linux it's a diferent story. Although it sound as great, the driver support isn't nearly as nice as under windows and sometimes I had to deal with rough edges.

That said I'm planning to buy an dedicated DAC, something like Schiit Bifrost in a near future.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is nothing wrong with offering opinions but some people spout off their opinion or re-read BS as it is fact when they really have no idea if the information is good or bad because they didn't do the testing themselves.

Personally, when I relate information it is based on my personal testing and if I am posting about something I have read, I make a not of that fact that I read or heard a certain peice of information. Such helps to keep the right information out on the net and leave the broken telephone game in the school yard.:)

19. rm - ottawa

rm - ottawa Guest

GPU:
    2 SLI GTX580 3GB
    Hi all new member here. So I recently bought the Phoebus and some Razer Tiamat 7.1's. This is my first time ever buying a sound card, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Basically, I'm not sure if I should keep the card or swap it for something like an Essence STX.

Basically I can't even use the controller box that it comes with because I have this 7.1 headset, and I'm also weary of driver issues.., and then there's the whole non replaceable opamps thing (which admittedly is still very new to me). I've carefully read through all the posts in this thread, and do not see a clear winner.

Is there ANY reason that I would be better off swapping to the Essence STX (Or any other sound card, I am willing to spend more than $200 if it's a good investment). I would likely need to make a decision this week if I am to return the Phoebus, and appreciate and am grateful for your expertise.

I know I could quickly swap for one of these 2 cards at my local shop:
    - Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion -
    - Asus Xonar Essence STX - 124dB SNR PCI-E

PS I am also going to be in the market for music headphones to compliment the gaming tiamat 7.1's, would you guys agree senheiser is the way to go? I've also heard good things about the AKG 701 Quincy Jones, but I really like my bass and am not sure they deliver on that front, am willing to go $400 on a good music headset.

Thanks,

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd honestly recommend sending the Tiamat's back while you can (if you can) and trying a decent pair of stereo headphones for gaming. It's worth trying if you plan on getting some headphones for music anyway. The Phoebus is a pretty good soundcard with a decent built in headphone amp'. I'd certainly take it over the Recon3D - and while I favour the Essence I'm not sure it's worth swapping to that card in your situation while you might still use analogue surround as the Essence is a Stereo card.

You'll find that many gamers now that invest in audio hardware go the route of decent stereo headphones and a clip on/desktop MIC over headsets (which are often over priced and in my experience low quality in most respects. Not to say they 'all' are, but I've yet to find any that don't come under that category). The Xonar cards come with Dolby Headphone which lets you emulate surround on stereo headphones, and often with pretty good results.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012