When using FXAA or SuperSampling, is there a point to choosing MSAA modes?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Baleur, Jul 7, 2012.

1. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX

Hi PowerK!

From my understanding.

Multi-sampling offers quality on polygon edges.

Transparency super-sampled, offers quality on transparent Alpha Test but doesn't touch transparent alpha blends -- do you have examples of it offering quality on specular artifacts? Specular aliasing is an ugly artifact.

Full-scene helps reduce specular, shader, shimmering/temporal noise, shadow aliasing - to name some.

Personally investigated the patterns of the modes and x4 multi-sampling and X4 SGSSAA offer x4 samples on polygon edges and x4 samples on textures. When in hybrid modes with SGSSAA, they offer unideal patterns -- for example x8 multi-sampling; the x4 SGSSAA positioning of the samples is not ideal like they are when the are matching samples -- that site that you offered is right on target.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I see you guys think "full scene" means the entire scene must be blurred or something, but technically MSAA is still a form of full scene antialiasing.

These are the setting I use at the moment as well :)

3. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX

Full Scene SGSSAA

Full Scene OGSSAA

Full Scene RGSSAA.

Full Scene in the context of SSAA and offering texture anti-aliasing attributes.

4. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Roger that. I understand what you meant from the very beginning. I'm just putting it out there that MSAA is FSAA.

5. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX
    Thanks though -- personally should of been clearer with my post.

6. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Hi Paul!

As for specular aliasing, Need for Speed : Shift should be a good example. If my memory serves correctly, TrSSAA didn't help with specular aliasing. However, SGSSAA did help to reduce if not eliminating specular alaising. It's been a long time since I tried that game. (last time was with my 580 SLI).

7. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
    For SGSSAA, working MSAA is always the prerequisite, no matter if you use Nvidia or AMD.

Now, I hear that when SGSSAA is selected, it "overwrites" the MSAA but uses the same sample positions. This means my quote above is incorrect.

8. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Yes 4x SGSSAA benefits over 2x2 OGSSAA because it uses 4x MSAA's sparse/rotated grid sub sample pattern.

9. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX
    SGSSAA would indeed help on specular aliasing -- and even the older hybrid mixed modes like the x8SQ would as well. For years, nVidia's x8SQ was my favorite setting if I had the performance and before that the x10 Super-AA setting from ATI, which was hybrid mixed of multi/super-sampled -- those settings were very comparable to each other.

When Blaire discovered that nVidia offered SGSSAA with Fermi, with the bug -- that was a tremendous day, based on the quality compared to ordered. It may not help sell a ton of new GPU's or a sexy feature for all, but to have clean screens while in a moving environments is sort of the holy grail of image quality to some gamers.

Really enjoy having flexibility and choice based on application and subjective tastes and tolerances.

10. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX
    In case you don't know the way you can deem the position of the samples is a FSAA Viewer:

http://www.3dcenter.org/download/d3d-fsaa-viewer

11. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Check out 32x SGSSAA with that tool.

12. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE