Why Windows 8 will wreck what Microsoft has built for the mainstream audience.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pixelsmack, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Upgrade costs need to be taken into account. The ISP I'm working for is working on a plan to upgrade it all to Windows 7, but it takes time. Currently Analysts and what not are working on it, since they need to upgrade 1000's of computers.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    QFT....

I don't get what stability problems people complain about with ME or Vista. I had vastly more stability issues with XP than I did with ME and Vista combined. At release, XP was one of the most unstable Windows versions ever released. Wasn't until SP1 that XP was finally stable.

3. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Quantum Field Theory? ,LOL..... Glad you agree, after I wrote that I figured there would be a lynch mob of "I don't do that" peeps after me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't worry....the lynch mob eventually comes after anyone that posts showing any type fo support for Win8....as pathetic as it's getting... Some just can't accept that there are people ready for a major change...

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    qft...

6. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I am in no way opposed to change, especially if it benefits me.

However, when it detracts from my overall 'user experience', then I tend to ignore it and choose to wait until something I find to be useful comes along.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I fail to see where it detracts from the overall user experience....

8. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    And that is why you will buy it and use it.

I, on the other hand, find it counter-intuitive and less functional than previous versions.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, I'll be dualbooting Win7/Linux if someone ever figures out a way to get Diablo3 running in 64bit linux.

10. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I tried windows 8 and not having the start menu didn't bother me too much since i don't really use it these days but metro did get in the way a bit and made me want to pull out an ancient pre 95 keyboard that doesn't have a start button to break the habit of pressing it.. I found it just like 7 to use mostly other then the missing start menu. I didn't really try metro since it was annoying. I tested MPC, Foobar2000, firefox and all my codec packs and they worked so other when not having the start menu it wasn't really different at all for me. Go to folder on network, click what i want to play and enjoy.. Or surf net in firefox exactly the same as 7..

I didn't test when i had it installed but would it be possible to make folders on the task bar like i have done in windows 7?
    [​IMG]

I hope they fix the location of the shutdown button and add windowed versions of the some of the settings panels it goes into metro for randomly for as those things really seem out of place on a PC where things are meant to be in windows and not full screen.. x.x

One thing i don't get is how its meant to be simpler.. I found in metro video player it didn't pick up MKV's so i couldn't play 99% of my video in it and the music player didn't pick up FLAC so no music.. I also found it forced me to do stuff like hit windows key + e to open my computer to get to the network etc but most people don't really know these shortcuts and still use the start menu so it would be much much harder for new people using windows i think.

I really like the new task manager, about time they changed it.

By far the worst part would be when i opened the music player in metro it auto brought up random pictures from the web of justin bieber and my sister walked out of the shower at the same time and looked at me weird..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

11. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I'd use linux if I could get all my games to play on it with no issues. The only reason I use windows.

I really wish devolpers would cross platform with other OS, but every game is windows only, or only has Linux servers.

I enjoy Linux, very easy to use and matches with my android perfectly, but when I want to play skyrim or BF3 its back to windows.

As for windows 8, I wouldn't mind something new. I use the start button alot, but I'm willing to try change.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  12. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    From a business standpoint...

Computers are tools. Just imagine spending the money on new operating systems and then needing to train every single employee on how to use them. People where I work had a difficult time switching from xp to Vista or 7. I don't care how cheap Microsoft makes it, a drastic change in ui is too inefficient to be cost effective when windows 7 isn't broken.

On a personal note...

I would love it if Microsoft would release operating systems more often and at lower prices. Instead of service packs, maybe they would be more willing to make drastic changes that could be improved upon or even removed at more regular intervals, without users being afraid to spend their money on something they may or may not like. At the heart of it, I use windows because I use programs made for windows. I would love to love an operating system, but windows 7 or 8 or anything else is only good as long as I get to use the software I want to use.

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Guys & Gals there is a simple solution to all of this !!! Use microsoft windows to play games and Linux for everything else :) Just duel boot your system it's a no brainer geez

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://youtu.be/1EAQiEzUA0k?t=9s

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not at all, as betatester for M$ at this moment 7 was in test before Vista come alive, vista was made because XP was looking "obsolete" compared to all other OS that was made at this time (new linux desktop, new iOs etc...)...

in one world 7 should have been next to XP but wasn't ready... and so vista come with all kind of bug, not only drivers one.

about 8 it's another problem, the inside of the OS is fairly good (despite all the bug due to the fact it's a youg OS), but the GUI **** everything, the problem is that i don't want to use my desktop as my smartphone (considerating that windows phone 7 is a major failure, here nearly all operator have given up with it, concentrate on iOS, Android and even Bada, and windows phone 8 seem to follow the way to failure too).

So yes i sadly guess that w8 will be a faill :puke2:

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Once you have learn how to use it :) (yes it's a pain) you stick to linux or BSD in some case, for sure (i am in dualboot too).

But 86% of the user just use Windows and yes you can work with M$ Windows too :pc1:

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    problem with dualbooting using Linux is getting over the fact that you already have Windows on there and there's nothing you can do in Linux that can't be done in windows unlike vice versa.
    So its kinda like, whats the point? Sure you'd have a superior UI and overall, a faster OS. Unfortunately, all those free apps, only a handfull are actually truely feature rich with decent UI's of their own. Plus if you want to game, rebooting and selecting Windows isn't exactly the most fluid or efficient thing you can do.
    VM's are just ok at best...i find they make Linux slower overall and just don't feel the same, even on my Core i7
    But if your mostly browsing and gaming, you might as well just use the stupid Windows and keep W7 if 8's UI isn't quite to liking. I admit it is definitely slower navigating around 8's UI using a mouse. i kinda wish MS would take some cue's from Linux Mint. heck i think Gnome 3 is better UI, prettier at least.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Pics or it didnt happen :D

19. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
  20. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    Looks like W8 is going to be an ambiguous and convoluted iPad. lolol

W7 goes to the grave with me. I wonder what Willie G. thinks?!