‘Pre-owned a bigger problem than piracy’

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Liranan, May 14, 2010.

1. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    I agree with the OP. EA and the lot are just a greedy bunch of corporate biggots. Pre-owned games are just that, games which cannot be duplicated (for e.g PS3), and cannot be pirated easily, are traded back into circulation.

I don't quite see why there are so many rows over here spewing out all kinds of fluff and ranting on about the obvious, comparing cars, houses, and the lot. Simply put, what the geek said in the article is wrong and wont work in reality. EA will most likely revoke this pass BS in the end and all will be back to normal.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Amen brother! Once a game is in your sticky mitts you should be able to do with it as you please.

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    I agree. One thing is, I would not go as far as Reverse Engineering the game, and then selling it as your own, I think that is where we reach over the top. But for reselling ,re-using, trading, it should be up to the consumer, since we paid for the right to use it however we please.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481027

As a interesting development.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    How do they reconcile me taking the game, copying it, and then reselling the copies? I guess, if I only bought one copy, I only have one to sell would be the argument.

This is why computer programs are sold via licenses, because it is a trivial matter to copy them, perfectly, and distribute or sell.

It's pretty killer though...I wonder how it would affect pricing of games. Up?

6. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    The 2nd hand market will be killed off with the next gen PS4 and Xbox720

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh dear....has EA heard about this. lol

EA becomes Ebay. lol

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't savour the thought of paying $70-80 for console games + dlc adding to the cost. They can keep their consoles as far as I'm concerned :D

9. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    they could potentially shoot their own foot if they do that..

10. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Thought it was public knowledge that you will need to be connected online just to play a game on the next gen?
    This feature is to kill of the low levels of piracy and 2nd hand market on console.

Yes, the day PC dies is the day I stop gaming.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Agreed. PC games in many countries are priced at steam sale prices at launch for a reason and you know what? It works! Console games on the other hand cost a huge chunk of cash so many buy it second hand. If they do this people will not bother to play on console.

@Blesner, yup .. same here. PC or gtfo! :D Casual gaming on the iPad stays though .. lol! :D

12. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Here we go bud http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/03/news-rumored-playstation-4-details

remember the used game lock was mentioned a few months ago and it is mentioned again in the video @ 1:00

13. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Why do you think publishers like EA are already investing in streaming services? With that they can avoid the entire selling of licenses. They would also try to destroy the entire home console market, as you only need a receiver to stream games (and a bloody fast internet connection if you want to play at a decent resolution).

We'll see, but I fear that is the future. You don't own anything anymore and you'll have to pay a subscription to play games.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That kind of internet speed (universally) will take a very long time to arrive so don't worry about it :p

Video not loading for me :( I think it will blow up in their face .. locking multiplayer features is one thing! Here I was thinking putting all your games in one steam/origin basket was a bad idea .. now consoles may have the same ****!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  15. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    5 pages of car/stuff analogies.

Anyway, for the record, I was watching the GDC (last year I think) happily until that guy from Epic said "Now, this is an important year, we have won a battle against the pre owned market" And everyone cheered...

At that moment i gave a FLYING FCK about those guys. They friggin' disgust me, they treat us like we're some kind of bag of sht that happens to trow out money if you beat it hard enough.

Well, now THEY are a bag of sht to me, so fck them I say. Fck them all.

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I can KINDA see their point with being pissed at the secondhand market..... but they also have to see our point that reselling games you don't really want, or no longer play, helps you get back some of the money you paid for the game to buy ANOTHER game. If they want to cut off the secondhand market... they're going to have to make a compromise somewhere. The BIGGEST thing they could do to not only appease gamers, but also probably increase their sales margins? Lower the prices. I remember when games never cost more than $49.99. Yes, that was still a nice chunk of change.... but now all of a sudden $59.99 is the norm for damn near f*cking EVERY game, no matter how generic it might be.

I can tell you one thing... cutting off the second hand game sales market (i.e. Gamestop and the like), will probably only further push the piracy issue for just about any game that people DON'T intend to play online. You'll probably see a bigger push to find a way to mod the console to work with pre-owned games, and see a lot more games sold second hand on Craigslist and eBay.

So either way, whether or not they cut out the ability to play second-hand games... they're still going to be shooting themselves in the foot.

17. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    It is the purest example of what a market can turn into if you let it completely free. Every business aims to maximize profit, no matter who is affected. They try to limit basic freedoms any way they can. It's called capitalistic fascism. Everthing is for the good of the company, no matter the result for the consumer, as long as profits are at the maximum. It's one of the defects of our current capitalistic system unfortunately...
    Instead of trying to make games that we don't want to sell on, they try to regulate to get maximum results. In the long term this is incredibly damaging to society (that might be a bit strong, but the gaming world as a whole is damaged)

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Well because video gaming is completely optional luxury market, I wouldn't worry a slightest bit about damage done to society through it.

IMO don't feed the beast then complain about how it's biting your ass.

I see too many people bitching about how EA is the devil then find the same people on ME3/BF3/DA threads because they got the game... then they go bitch more about how much the game sucks and EA is getting worse and worse and worse.

It's as if they are addicted to buying big AAA titles and have no control over their purchases.

Also why make analogies to cars? Best non digital analogies would be books.

19. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    "Oliver's estimate of 75 percent losses comes from his assumption that games are traded in on average 4 times (the real figure is likely not this high)"

He's assuming something based on no hard facts.

20. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    lol, what next..

what if someone lets their friend borrow their PS3/Xbox360 or their whole PC to play games installed on them, instead of just trading games..hahah

What will the companies do next?

Because; if companies like EA starts to act like a d***, thats what I'll do.. have a separate PC just for games and trade my whole PC's with games installed on them instead of just trading games.