AMD Catalyst 12.7 BETA (8.981.2 June 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Before an argument over what driver cleaning method is better, there is already a thread for it somewhere.

Some other driver thread had like 3+ pages of nothing but people arguing over this, and I think a ban or a few were issued.

2. blandead

blandead Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6970 2GB
    Not all parts are new

Don't worry I have absolutely no intention of arguing over something so pointless, I was just giving my advice, to each his own

Anyways, installing these now and gonna give them a test run, but comparing them to the 12.6 Beta drivers, the only NEW parts of the driver are

• Display Driver
      Version 8.980.0 to 8.981.2​
    • AMD Media Foundation Transcoders
      Version 1.0.70522.2212 to 1.0.70612.1328​
    • AMD VISION Engine Control Center
      Version 2012.0522.2128.36590 to 2012.0612.1301.21376​

Kind of disappointing, I was hoping for an upgrade to the APP SDK Runtime, but hopefully there is some performance increase gaming

3. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    Yeah, I wasn't shooting for an argument, just verifying how many times you should reboot when using Atiman's uninstaller as it didn't look like he was missing one or two :)

4. blandead

blandead Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6970 2GB
    Wow, noticeable improvement!

I'm actually pretty impressed. I just did a Kombuster 1080p benchmark and these new drivers definitely show a nice improvement from 12.6 Beta (or any previous one)

At stock clocks performance went up from 57 FPS to 60 FPS, but that is not even the part I'm impressed with.. the max GPU temperature at full load went from 94 °C down to 85 °C. Somehow it squeezed a few extra FPS and is 9 °C cooler at the same time :infinity:

Then I re-ran the test with my usual gaming overclock, which is +100 Mhz on the core, and FPS went up to 65 and the temp went down even furthur to 79 °C. I'm pretty happy with this

I'm just amazed at the higher FPS and very low temperature, first time I've seen it go down at all when overclocked by that much.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah got my card at 1070/1575, they seemed to be working well up to that point, with the 12.6 BETAs, i was constanly (randomly) getting different coloured screen crashes, with stripy vertical lines down them, so had to hard restart.

Don't have any issues at all with the April 18th 12.5's, work fine, run well, so going to stick with them :p

6. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Same exact screen crash as mine. Are you using the Sapphire Trixx to overclock? If so, what version?

I'm using the 4.3 release and since some people seem to be running overclocks without crashes, I wonder if the problem lies directly with the Trixx software.

Has anyone been able to run the new betas with a 7900 series and overclock with the Afterburner software (overcock with voltage increase) and have it remain stable?

I suppose I should register on the Sapphire forum and make a post about it, but their forum doesn't seem to have much activity.

Bats

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey did you guys know Trixx keeps the GPU voltage permanently at whatever u set it to?
    It doesn't drop with clock speed, so it runs maxxed out even in 2D/low power mode....

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No, just the Overdrive, its funny, as ive not had a single problem with AMD's drivers, in many years, then they announce the scrapping of the WHQL to make them better, as they'll have more time to spend on them and what not, and they've done nowt but crash :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm overclocking with AB, however I was getting splitscreen/stripelines so atm using Trixx just to bump up voltage while I play ME3.

10. rongtw

rongtw Guest

GPU:
    asus 1060 strix
    I installed this yesterday , and since then i have had 2 BSOD one while playing BF3 , then just now while normal surfing ?? any Ideas

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's the stop code?

12. yy885

yy885 Guest

GPU:
    HD6850
    This driver improved my BF3 performance. But the only issue is my gc temperature is around 3-5c higher than before. Played 3 hrs and without any problem.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  13. blandead

blandead Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6970 2GB
    You may be right about that actually.. I was able to consistenly hold an OC of 1025 Mhz for my compute programs, but had to lower it 5-10 Mhz... doesnt sound like much, but it is

Maybe I'll go back to 12.5 if I don't see more gaming improvements

14. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Guest

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    these drivers actually increased my overclocking , i'm using afterburner , no crashes either , unless i push the cards too hard lol
    haven't noticed any temp increases , but both of my 7970's are water cooled , of coarse :)

15. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Exactly same scenerio for me. 12.6 onwards and my stable oc of last 4 mths and several driver revisions.

I wonder wether these new drivers are handling overclocking differently in preparation for the new GHZ edition cards and their powertunewith boost function ??

16. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Guest

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    yeah that could be

17. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I reckon that's a very good guess. I'm having the same issues. I got my hands on the Ghz edition bios and tried it on my card. BSOD. I have a feeling that the CHiL voltage chip on the Ghz cards are flashed with a different ROM than the normal 7970's. Either way, it's kinda dissappointing.

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ive had a couple of gpu resets while surfing, but fortunately no bsods.

19. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    AMD/ATi do have a beta on there page now

AMD/ATi have a driver on there page now its 12.6 about to test it now myself, To be honest i was very confused with this 12.7beta so soon after 12.6betas plus it said June12 the last time a beta was up saying june12 i got it, and it was actually 12th june 2012 so i was confused today when i seen this lol

But after i test the amd public release i'll try this one ;)

The last 12.6beta i tried caused Fallout3 with high res textures mods to appear really dark in dark areas day time the lighting is soo good and realistic but dark areas are to dark it affected the way the shaders worked but 12.4 was fine. Hopefully these will work a treat :)

AMD/ATi Public 12.6 beta (Link selected for HD69xx win7 64bit)
    <url>http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx</url>

20. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Anyone else having alot of CTD in BF3 with this set? :(

no problems with most of the other beta driver sets.