Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the new Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition. The product is called GHz edition though even a little more. AMD now uses a Boost feature exactly similar to what NVIDIA is doing on the 670/680 cards....

More...

2. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Not a bad card!

Great review

3. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Hasn't previous 7970 reached similar potential, just by overclocking?

4. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Beautiful card!

5. mypc

mypc Guest

NICE but price is to high and tdp too

6. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Ummm was 1.2v the default voltage on page 3? and 1.3v to reach 1200mhz?
    if so thats pretty sad right there.

7. Pierre Bierre

Pierre Bierre Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD69xx 2GB
    Guru3d traditionally messes up the benchmarkresults. Probably unintentionally but let me tell you this videocard isn't configured correctly (again) brother. Here are the correct and relevant test results that clear out which product to buy and why. For example I included the resolutions for which these cards are made. That way the digits become relevant to the product. One would almost suspect that guru left these digits out because they show how weak MNV's design really is... For the complete fps scores just ask me. :)

•1920x1080, 4AA/16AF: HD7970GE is similar to GTX680
    •1920x1080, 8AA/16AF: HD7970GE is 15% faster than GTX680
    •2560x1600, 4AA/16AF: HD7970GE is 10% faster than GTX680
    •2560x1600, 8AA/16AF: HD7970GE is 20% faster than GTX680
    •5760x1080, 4AA/16AF: HD7970GE is 13% faster than GTX680
    •5760x1080, 8AA/16AF: HD7970GE is 24% faster than GTX680

8. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970

So how much is AMD paying you?

In other news, this card is nothing but a run of the mill factory OC'd 7970. Only this time it is sanctioned by AMD themselves. For the most part where the 680 won before it wins again and where the 7970 won before it wins some more. I'll give them credit for not hiking the price back up to $549(USD) for it though and for that they have definitely gained in the value department with this.

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    WFT and who the **** are u

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You either have a good sense of humor or are new to the internet. Sensible people dont just register to a forum to convince others by throwing unsubstantiated numbers from nowhere and saying 'hey this is how it is'.

11. Pierre Bierre

Pierre Bierre Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD69xx 2GB
    Yeah well, have it your way. I don't mind as long as we treat each other with respect.

Let me tell you why I'm not even an AMD fan but more an observer of it all:

I always used to have nv cards from the very beginning (Diamond ViperV550 16mb with nvidia TNT chip) until the beastly roaring GF8800ultra uber videocard. After that I didnt want to switch but NV bumped me as a customer because they wouldn't sell me a single card that could connect 3 displays. I still don't know why but they neglected part of their paying customers. Maybe now is the time to change it back...

....although you didn't convince me one bit yet... I see about 15% extra fps for less money and that's on more than one site. The 2560*1600 and 5760*1080 resolutions are a big loss for the 680...while these are the preferred resolutions for high end cards??I read that on several sites btw.

I don't care about a little more power consumption. btw MSI probably solves that issue with a custom pcb and if not...who cares? I don't...I use airco for cooling my room so a lot of power is wasted anyhow :D

thank you for your confindence in me btw hahah... well we are not very important in this are we...the truth about the cards is...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  12. Pierre Bierre

Pierre Bierre Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD69xx 2GB
    Well I'll be open with you: I liked the thing we used to call "privacy". That time is behind us but I like to pretend the internet canstill be a tiny bit little discrete. I throw all my accounts away now and then...even my mailaccounts.

So what about you? tell me about your anger
    ....or why you're just thinking in this negative manner?

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Who exactly are you anyway?
    Joining the forum to call the owner either incompetent or a liar, then just making up numbers with no facts to back them up and expecting people to believe you.

If you want a forum full of gullible idiots, then SemiAccurate might be right up your street.

Never understood why people on the internet spend so much effort trying to mislead others when there is no financial benefit for them, especially when you could be influencing how other people spend their money.

On topic, review is how we expected as we have saw cards clocked at this speed before, pricing is a little higher than I would of liked as this won’t really make Nvidia drop their prices.

14. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
  15. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Well after a bit more reading around i have to say i thought these chips were supposed to be better bins with lower voltage, as it turns out there is nothing special about these at all. Both these cards i have overlock 1125mhz at default voltage and the memory which i havent tested or pushed that hard can overclock to 1700mhz(6800mhz) at default voltage.

AMD should have clocked the 7970 to begin with, and because they didnt they were slow off the mark and got overtaken by the 680 and almost by the 670, given NVIDIA had a bit more time to prepair made a bit more different but now it just seems AMD are clutching at straws....

16. Pierre Bierre

Pierre Bierre Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD69xx 2GB
    Dude wtf hahah...ok I'll try and explain myself better.

For starters...there is no accusing going on. I know for sure the review is made with great precision and goodwill and I am the author greatfull for his analysis That is just as a I am happy with all his other articles which always help me a lot. I have most of the time no remarks on them at all. The videocardreviews tend to be incomplete lately though.
    This article fell short in giving us all the information about the quality of this product. The reason for that is mainly that the resolutions that require 2 or 3 gb of VRAM are not considered in the test.

That is a something I tell you because I noticed it when reading more reviews.
    You are a little slow in understanding that.I'm sorry to say so.

There is afaik no lying from my side and no interest in what you like best and stuff (I hope it's not videocards ;)

The info that i based my opinion on is on sites like these f.e.:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-amd-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition/4/
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/
    http://tweakers.net/reviews/2639/amd-hd-7970-ghz-edition-de-gtx-680-in-het-vizier.html

and I can give you many others. Maybe you should start giving some backroundinfo yourself because until now you're not exactly telling me things that make your way of seeing things understandable. On the other hand: don't bother when you still feel angry. peace brother :D

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh God I hope you're trolling....:3eyes:

18. Pierre Bierre

Pierre Bierre Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD69xx 2GB
    Well, I think I was trying to create some excitement all around.
    That works quite good when you need others to respond to you.
    This site rules but I must be able to give some additional info when needed. Maybe the videocard reviews need some polishing..that's no crime is it?

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Firstly, your numbers don't match up with those websites, and secondly the 1920x10/12 numbers on those don't match up the ones on here, not even close with some games, so you have to be accusing someone of not being honest.

[​IMG]

I don't believe in benching past 25x16 with a single card review, there is just no point as the cards aren't powerful enough and your just getting console framerates, it might be good from a tech point of view, but not from a consumer one.
    According to TPU Battlefield 3 is 32fps on a 7970GE compared to 29 on the 680, wow.......such high end framerates.

19x10/12 is still the most used resolution amongst gamers, more people are going 120hz than higher resolution.

There are plenty of reviews of this card that accommodate multi-monitor gaming, why does this one have to as well?

I don't have to explain my background as i'm not saying a 7970GE is cheaper than a GTX680 and also 20% faster at 2560x1600.

At the end of the day the 7970GE and GTX680 are very close to each other performance wise when your look at the framerates, they are also the same price now, so people should pick what one they prefer and likely will be happy with whatever they get.
    I don't have

20. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    What you're seeing is the mid end GK104 chip bottlenecking on a 256 bit memory bus, because the card was originally intended as mainstream up to 1080p. But in a lot of titles it can happily tag along with the 7970 at extreme resolutions, which is a bit silly IMO. nVidia haven't released the actual Kepler 'technology bearer' GK110 yet, and they don't need to at the moment.