intel i3 vs AMD FX-4100

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mr_scarface, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    facepalm.the i3 is faster than the fx4170 in games. PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! lol

legion hardware is amd biased, always has been. thats why i dont ever go to that site.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    also wouldnt be suprised if it doesnt support ivy

4. mr_scarface

mr_scarface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 GTX
    i never OC and if i get a sb i5 im sticking with it till its no good like i have with this e6600

5. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Get a B75 board. Supports Ivy without BIOS update. Has usb3.0 and sata6gb/s natively. Affordable.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  7. mr_scarface

mr_scarface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 GTX
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  9. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    If you look at things like that, then you can say that Tom's hardware together with Guru3D tend to get Intel higher then it is? Thankfully, none of that is true. It's just that they use different methodology, more real world then TH or G3D.

If i have to, and I find it hard to type lol, i will explain. Reality is, if you use i5 2500k or AMD similar priced CPU, or low end i3 FX-4xxx series, you will most likely not using it with SLI/CFX or GTX690, and when you use it like that, for most popular resolution, spending more money on something that is not better, or it is, but by small margin, is not what would sane person do.

For OP, as you already planed to have i5, don't waste your money on i3, go directly for i5, or wait a bit if you can't buy it at the moment.

10. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Huh? i5 2500k is very popular with Gamers using SLI/CFX...It just Works:banana:

12. mr_scarface

mr_scarface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 GTX
    they dont sell asrock at this compusa for some reason. i can look around though. they are nice boards.

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    OFC it works (how good is in question), people use it. BUt i don't think it is very popular when using SLI/CFX etc. Most of users with very high requirements go with i7, sure, some of them use i5.

I don't know, most of users here claim that any i3 is faster then FX-4x, and that's not true, OP wants i5 (he said in few posts before), then we should suggest him to go with i5 and don't waste money on i3. Also, name of topic then should have been i3 or i5, or something like that.

But again, after people go over proved facts, and yet, still claim the same, i don't know what to type here ;)

For single GPU, FX is more then enough CPU, and even i3 maybe. i5 can be enough for one very fast GPU, or two slower, but then we don't talk about budget build, if it goes close to 1000 euros etc.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    An i5-2500k is more than fast enough for any SLI/Crossfire setup. The i3-21xx series is faster and cheaper than the FX-4xxx series.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  15. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    For first thing, you are maybe right, not for any, but for most maybe. I honestly don't know, since i didn't tested. But, based on numbers, i can assume it's not, but anyways, it depends what is your target frame rate/resolution.

It is all nice to say that i3-21xx is faster then FX-4xxx, it is also nice to say that is cheaper. But that is not the fact here. I think it would be useful to provide a link when you claim such a thing. Thanks in advance, i see people here repeatedly claiming that, but with 0 facts. I give mine...

Also, i worked with i3 CPU's and i was not impressed at all(OK, probably it's not the model you named, can't remember). It just felt slow, and it was slow PC, even compared to this crappy Athlon...

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Read the previous posts in this thread.

As for the Intel PC you used, it could of been one of a thousand factors that made it feel slow; that's not representative of every single Intel computer.

It's like me saying that I tried out a random AMD FX system and it felt slow so therefore all AMD FX systems are slow.

i3-2120 = $125
    AMD FX-4170 = $140

17. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Ok, i can agree with that, more factors play a role there. But, you said price, now, prove me that i3-2120 is faster then FX-4170. Give me a link. Price difference here is:

Intel i3-2120 = 123e
    AMD FX-4170 = 136e

And slower Intel i3-2130 = 148e, and you constantly forget to mention cost of whole platform with same futures, that build price even more on Intel side...

Here is a video of BF3 gameplay (CPU hungry game i think) on FX CPU, give it for i3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXB9NjxNkc

If you prove me wrong, maybe i will change platform, but for now, i will def. go with FX when price go even lower (next few months).

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The build price is cheaper on the Intel side, half-decent motherboards for both sides cost about the same, they use the same RAM; the only difference is the price of the CPU's.

[​IMG]][​IMG]]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, prices are not the same (at least here), also, FX-4100 is slower, but it is also quite cheaper then i3-2120 also. Motherboard for Intel with same features is priced higher. I don't see FX-4170 here, and it is more expensive CPU than i3-2120, but cheaper then i3-2130.

Also, i don't know what type of GPU is used here, i assume it is nvidia, and it is a well known fact that nvidia works better with Intel, will try to find that review now.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OP don't buy a mATX board like Airbud said...they aren't very practical if you wanna add extra ram or pci/e cards etc at a later date.

@tweakpower...did u need to quote his entire post with all pics incl..? I just scrolled like 3 meters down my screen to read 2 comments......

Chillin could u plze post your pics in pairs so we don't have to scroll so far to see them all.....

If you click on the white A box top right when posting it switches to editor mode, then you can add the image links like this:

[​IMG]][​IMG]]

and they will post like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]