Future AMD sockets

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vejn, Jun 19, 2012.

1. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Which CPU will be heir of Bulldozer and will it be AM3 or some new socket?

Does 900 pins mean potential cause of less performance versus Intel 1155 socket?

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    The next gen of Bulldozer (Steamroller?) are gunna use AM3+ with the 900 series chipsets IIRC, whereas the Trinity APUs are switching to FM2. After Steamroller, I'm not sure what socket they're going to for the higher end stuff, but I think they're adding NB functions onto the CPU as Intel have, so will shift to another socket.

3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Socket pin count has nothing to do with performance. AMD CPUs are simply slow.

4. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    thats a wrong way to say " AMD's cpus are great value " amd dont have 1000$ cpu or 300$ (avg cost of 2011 socket) boards. can we compare apples with oranges :D ?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Piledriver, and most likely AM3+ until 2014.

True, plus AMD don't charge a premium for unlocked multi's.

6. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    ehh haters will always hate but my cpu was dirt cheap and theres not a game i cant play max out so ill be buying amd on my next upgrade like i have before and my cpu is running with 0 overclock i have had no need to overclock yet...before yet anouther thread gets closed if you dont like amd then dont comment where not bashing intel threads

7. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    That's because Intel Extreme platform has 0 competition, AMD doesn't make high-end CPUs anymore. So let's compare something lower end. Like FX-8150 and i5 2500K. FX-8150 cost around 240-250$ when it launched, but was brutally beaten by much faster, cheaper and energy efficient i5 2500K. FX-8150 is cheaper now, though. But that's because it sucks. AMD has no choice but to cut prices.

8. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb

[​IMG]

i like when intel fan boys are in amd threads but if we go into a intel thread and bash we are bad ppl? GTFO

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what are you playing "maxed out". that term means your highest reso and max in game graphics

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For non-gaming or video editing machines, AMD is a great choice :)

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This

Still not terrible for games either, just not as good as Intel.

Their APUs are f**king awesome, however, a very, very good idea IMO.

12. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I'm interested in Bulldozer architecture and difference with core i5.
    Some Core i5 has the same frequency 3.1 Ghz like FX 8120 so where is main "problem" to AMD release full potential. I say problem but I don't mean it in bad way just to state that
    has the same Mhz but is slower ->how's that?

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Longer CPU pipeline. The situation's reversed from about 8 years ago when AMD's Athlon's were pwning the Pentium 4's due to the Athlon's short, steamlined pipeline and the P4's very long, somewhat inefficient one. In all, frequency isn't everything, as Intel learned the hard way until Core2 came out and turn the tables.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    My 965BE @ 4.0GHZ runs all my stuff maxed as well. 1920x1080 all in-game options maxed and 4xaa/16xaf

Every now and then I turn down to 2xaa but that's a gpu limit of my 570.

I've been thinking of getting a 8150 but I heard the gaming performance between it and the 965BE is pretty much 0. =/

Intel makes great cpu's, it's just overkill. Look at graphs, very few games take advantage of the processing power, most games are strictly gpu based.

15. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    yeah i still love my cpu i just lol every time someone makes it sound like you cant even play a game maxed out with a amd cpu

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah it annoys me to death.

17. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Same here, nothing against Intel really I just can't afford to upgrade to their platform(s) and my rig runs everything I want very nicely, BF3 included (1920x1200, high).

Back on topic(ish) I'd like to see Piledriver actually deliver a noticeably better performance than the Phenom II quads.....

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    this was exacty why I was using amd cpu`s up to and including sk 939. I jump ship very quickly to intel. and if intel starts sucking again, jump ship time again. same goes for video cards, nvidia cards start to suck, time to jump ship. being a fanboy of performance doesnt leave my clinging to an inferior product that many people get caught up in. corsair psu`s start sucking, goodbye, gskill ram goes downhill cya too. it all just name brands, I have no allegiance to any company. same thing with asus m/b too

19. Soulfly

Soulfly Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    i don`t get the point why intel user bashes on amd users.... sorry when i say now it seems like some intel users haveing a flash-back...back to the early 1930`s....think about it....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    @TK-
    For some there's a whole lot more to it than which CPU is faster.

Backward compatibility for example.
    I like the fact I can use a 3yr old X4 on the latest AMD platform, something Intel doesn't offer since they change sockets like most people change their underwear.....

Another thing is cost - and I'm not just referring to CPU's.
    Just for kicks I compared the latest ASUS X79 Sabertooth with it's AMD equivalent, the ASUS 990FX Sabertooth. Do u know the X79 was $200 more than the 990FX? $200! Not worth it in my books...

This place has become quite anti AMD in the last year or so.
    Wondering if this was a widespread sentiment I checked out the XS and OCN forums...to my surprise both have many users with BD and Phenom II's yet I didn't see any AMD bashing....
    So why is it happening here?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012