Question about Triple Buffering

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by D4rKy21, Jun 10, 2012.

1. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Does this reduces image quality ? because i know that it does steady your fps more, but @ the cost of image quality ? i know the old story of tripple buffering that it increase your fps @ the max of 60 or 120 hz when vsync is on, but in what negative way when tripple buffering is on ? on nvidia defauls control panel its auto off but i could set it on.

So my question is does it increase IQ or does it decrease it ?

2. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Neither ;)

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    nope only uses vram and adds input lag

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Guest

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    This

No IQ difference at all only improvements in smooth frame rates as long as you can live with +16ms extra input lag (normally you can).

5. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Aight guys thx for the info.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Want to add that 64-Bit Applications arn't supported by the current only tool that allows Triple Buffering in D3D.

7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Triple buffering is a must if you use Vsync. Also limiting FPS to your refresh rate is crucial too, it greatly reduces input lag when vsync is on.

8. Pelzimus

Pelzimus Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    What is this 60Hz with TFT panels anyway, some kind of analog relic that just has to be dragged along? My tiny common sense doesn't understand why I see tearing when I have TFT connected with DVI and all, what analog do I have left requiring refresh rates and vsync?

9. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    TFT is like CRT in that it doesn't "refresh" every pixel at the same exact time, so you can still end up with tearing.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    TB doesn't always add input lag. A lot of times in my experience it reduces it compared to traditional DB Vsync.

Especially in Crysis 2 for example.

11. hnizdo

hnizdo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 3.5G ;)
    There was a word about d3doverrider. I thought that in current nvidia drivers tripple buffering works for d3d too, not only for opengl, like in the past. So whats true?

12. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Last I checked it still only applies to OpenGL. Look for yourself, try forcing vsync + triple buffer in Heaven benchmark. I know for sure it did not work in D3D9.

Ensure a proper test by leaving vsync disabled in the app, and force it through driver.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still dont understand why Nvidia does not support TB out right for all rendering modes. Hell I dont understand why most games dont even have, back in the day alot of games had that option in them Hell the 3dfx drivers had a working TB option or atlest that is what I remember

Honestly I tried both NV TB which i have had on by default for years and I tried D3Doverride and I dont see a difference with either in any of the games I play that have FPS drop frequently lower then 35 fps when vsync is on. so either my idea about what it does is wrong ( stabilize the framerate at below vsync rate??) or I looking in wrong places

Infact only time I seen TB even do what it supposed to do in last 5 years is when I ran Heaven with TB Forced on threw D3d I gained about 10 FPS with it forced on and lost about 10 with it off, but most my games I see no difference when it forced on

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yep, i didn't feel a difference either in recent Games it's why i stopped using it. And seeing it doesn't support 64-Bit applications it will be a useless tool in the future anyways.

15. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Triple buffering is only for OpenGL so there is almost none usage for now.

16. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    This topic has been discussed so often, it's like beating a dead horse all over again.

Triple buffering helps prevent the frame rate halving issue associated with double buffering. Nothing more, nothing less.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It differently don't work in alot new games then, specially swtor

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm sure it works using D3DOverrider?

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    d3doverride does it beeps to over ride like supposed to , but like i said I see no difference with using d3d override or nvidia tb.

Only programs I seen d3d override in recent memory help was heaven demo every other game i seen it dont help one bit

20. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    It does nothing to the frame being rendered. Normally you have two buffers, more to the point, frame buffers. Each is just the space of memory that the GPU flushes out to the video output for rendering.

The first buffer is the one that has the frame ready for being displayed, the second buffer has the next frame that is being rendered while the first one is being displayed. It works that way so you dont see a bunch of half rendered frames on your screen.

Thing is that is hard to synch the GPU with the monitor when you only have one complete frame to display (remember that the 2nd buffer is a frame "under construction" ), so the triple buffer adds another layer that works by having always at least one frame complete besides the one being displayed. You have the buffer holding the frame that is going to the display, and at least one of the other two buffers already holds the next complete frame ready for the display.

So the whole technique doesnt touches at all the result of the frame rendering, just adds another buffer for holding frames.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012