The best of 6 (120/128gb SSDs)

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Bigman3, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Bigman3

Bigman3 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850 @ 775/1125
    Hi, I can get the next 120gb/128gb SSDs for about the same price, so i wanted your opinion on which to chose.
    My general use: gaming, files moving, Code compiling (Visual Studio), browsing, no regular video editing or such.

The list:
    * Sandisk Extreme
    * Crucial m4
    * OCZ Octane
    * OCZ Agility 3
    * Corsair Force Series GT
    * Corsair Force Series 3

So, what would you go for and why?

Thanks!

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Crucial M4

Proven reliability and one of the fastest SSD's out there over the entire spectrum.

3. Bigman3

Bigman3 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850 @ 775/1125
    Okay thanks. but, can you explain this?

m4 Crucial:
    Corsair Force Series GT:

The GT should be much faster.

4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Vertex 4 :D
    I have one. It's damn fast :)

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

4K speed is what matters. Most transfers are a bunch of small reads/writes in a sequence.

The "big numbers benchmarks" are sequential speeds (very large reads/writes), which are not how a drive is normally used.

Basically, the big numbers used to sell drives, have little to do with the drive's actual performance.

Quick google results.
    Look at the 4K numbers.
    http://thessdreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/GT-AS-SSD-Bench.png
    http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8562/asssdm4bench.png
    They're actually quite close.

4k QD 64 also doesn't matter, since the only way you'll drive up a QD is with a thrashing benchmark. Normal usage won't go much over low single digits, 64 is a pipe dream.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. Bigman3

Bigman3 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850 @ 775/1125
    Okay! thanks!

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Though if you can find a Samsung 830 on sale then that would get my vote as well.

8. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Samsung 830 Vote here as well, but since it isn't on the list Crucial M4. Something about a manufacturer (Samsung) who makes all the components in house bodes well for me. Plus it's fast! :)

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sandforce SSD never reach their advertised speeds in real life usage since those are from compressible data. No one copies only zeros or ones so in real usage many other controllers spank Sandforce (in IOPS too). Sequential speeds are useful if you do video editing and in that case three Samsung F3 1TB drives in RAID0 spank Sanforce SSD:s, especially in writing (in fact, these are better in sequential writing than my 830). For some video editing, recording etc. is normal use so it's important to choose storage that suits the user best. SSD isn't always the best option.

I vote Samsung 830.

10. Bigman3

Bigman3 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850 @ 775/1125
    I can get the Samsung 830 from eBay for 180$(+shipping), which is roughly the same price that i can get the Crucial M4 in the local store.

So, i guess i`ll go for the Samsumg ;)

11. RighteousRami

RighteousRami Guest

GPU:
    2 MSI 980 SLI
    I have both an intel 120GB 520 and a sandisk extreme 120GB. Both perform really well. to be brutally honest the more you read and get worried about failing drives etc the more time your wasting. Pretty much once you get your first one you can see that there isnt much to be worried about and all SSD's that are a reasonable brand will work well for you. Plus prices are reasonable atm for any model. Id most likley reccomend the vertex 4 atm as it has everest 2 controller. But im also happy with my sand force controlled ssd's as im not SUPER fussy.

The next SSD i will be getting will probably be the 19nm toshiba SSDs.

12. Stop It RAWR

Stop It RAWR Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7850 BE
    This, mainly because I just bought a 256GB one in the UK for £145, not bad for a drive that was nearly £350 less than 9 months ago!

That said, as prices have bombed, you can't really go wrong, we've finally seen SSDs reach mainstream prices methinks.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They are going to get much cheaper soon as the <20nm nodes start to come online.

14. Stop It RAWR

Stop It RAWR Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7850 BE
    Indeed, but of course that's exactly what has caused each price drop so far, and the Samsung 830 uses 20nm chips itself but the recent dive in prices have a more market related reason, but that's for another thread :)

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The new Toshiba SSD's are going to use 19nm MLC.

16. cyba

cyba New Member

GPU:
    Quadro 2000D
    Well, I've a Crucial M4, an Intel 520, a Vertex 4, a Samsung 840, and a Plextor M5 Pro (bought in that order, I'm a sucker for trying out affordable SSDs), all 128GB - OS and Progs only (I use 1TB Velociraptors for the rest.) These drives are in three boxes and one fast laptop all running either WN7 or WN8. I've dropped the M4 because it's the oldest of the bunch. Personally, of these SSDs I'd go, subjectively, with the Plextor and its Truespeed tech, i.e. no long term, and in some drives, short term performance degradation. It's in an AMD 8 core PC - not the fastest of the three - but certainly whips along. I agree there are too many variables to make a definitive judgement (how much faster, or not, might it go with the Core i7 and its motherboard?) Like Intel, OCZ, and Samsung, it has a 5 year warranty. I don't think M4 did when I bought it. They might have now. Given the rapid development of SSDs and their decreasing prices you're bound to have new quicker, even more robust, and larger drive by then.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I wouldn;t go for any of those. I'd choose either the Samsung 840 Pro or the OCZ Vertex 4.