1920x1080 on 27" kinda pixelated?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Perfect Chaos, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hi all

I recently got a Samsung S27A750D monitor and while it seems a good performer, i'm noticing jaggies in games. I moved from a 22" Samsung which had a 1680x1050 resolution and i didn't really have a problem with it's sharpness, am i noticing this because of the size and the pixels are bigger?.

Some things especially on distance have a lot of jaggies to them, it is putting me off really.. i still have time to return it, but the thing is i like the size and resolution. But then the drawback of image quality is there. I like the 120hz of it though, i wouldn't like to get a monitor with a lot higher resolution because games would suffer and would practically require me to have a dual core graphics card to keep up.

Anyone have any advice? i have tried using AA and it doesn't help that much, just drops FPS.

Only thing i can think of is either keep it and get used to the jaggies, or sell it off and wait for a good 120hz 24" monitor if the image sharpness is a lot better.

2. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I too just got a 27". I wanted 1080 because I use my tv as well. Unfortunately, the bigger the screen, the more jaggies. I will not go back to a smaller screen. My advice to you would be to decide which is more important, the smoothness of the image, or the size of the screen. Personally, my 42" tv is so immersive that I don't notice jaggies at all.

3. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Personally I think for a computer monitor 1920x1200 resolution on a 24 inch Monitor is the perfect ratio between resolution and size. Anything larger would need a higher resolution than that.

4. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks for the replies, still not sure what to do. Pretty sure i see some fuzziness sometimes, unless it's the pixelation.. hard to tell as i only see it slightly during fast movement.

if i send it back, i won't know what to choose as there's no 24" 120hz samsung monitors.

I wish these 27" ones had a bit higher resolution, enough to make it sharp but not at 25xx level, maybe 2200 or something.

5. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I had a 27" Samsung screen for a little while and had the exact same issue. The PPI is too low to really be enjoyable for up close usage in gaming and on the desktop. I'm definitely ready for higher pixel densities to become the norm. If you look at some new laptop screens they are heading in the right direction.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No problems using a 27 inch here (Asus VE278Q), i guess if you've just moved up to it, it will take a bit of time to adjust, i remember the picture looking massive on mine when i first got it (moved up from a 22).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    dual 23" at 1920x1080 each looks fine. Although 1080p works great on my TV from my PC but I sit at a distance. Much larger in size. :)

8. RighteousRami

RighteousRami Guest

GPU:
    2 MSI 980 SLI
    have you turned font smoothing on? I find that helps during desktop use mainly.

9. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    What seems to be bothering you is the pixel pitch (size of the pixels) on screen and there is not much AA can do to help with that. It doesn't seem like much of a difference between them but it makes a huge difference. I recommend a 1200p 24" if it bothers you and cant adjust

24" 1080p: .278 mm
    24" 1200p: .27 mm
    25" 1080p: .288 mm
    27" 1080p: .311 mm
    27" 1440p: .233 mm
    30" 1600p: .25 mm

10. Perfect Chaos

Perfect Chaos Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I set up my 226BW again at 1680x1050 and tried some L4D2 and i can see jaggies much the same as on this 27" 1920x1080, what does this mean exactly? that the games are to blame?.

I don't think the problem is the pixels per inch but the fact some things in games have a lot of aliasing on certain objects, shiny ones in particular.. if i look at other objects i can see the pixels on the edges but i have to look up close to the screen unlike the usual shiny objects that seem to pixelate a lot.

if i moved to a 24" at 1920x1080 i would see jaggies much the same as on this 27".. and if i had a resolution in the 2560 range it'd always require a dual core graphics card to keep up decent but not fast framerates.. so either way is difficult to decide.

Also certain i'm seeing some kind of fuzziness during movement sometimes, maybe it's just me but i definitely see something at times that doesn't seem right.

Need some more replies, i really don't know what to do but i think today is the last day if i want to return the monitor.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

11. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Well, even at 1600p you're going to see jaggies, it's just that they are a little worse at lower rez and/or bigger sized monitors. The iq difference between a 27" at 1440p and a 27" at 1080p is quite massive to say the least as is their price

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    +1

This and Kakarot's post about pixel size. :nerd: