Verify the origins/quality of your Lossless.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have received a few emails regarding the origin of lossless files as many here only use lossless for archiving and their main auido collections.
    So I figured I would just write this post to answer all the questions at once.

If you encode your own files from your own CD, you know the origins but the trouble is some people are worried about the source of these files when they are not encoded by us.

There is a program that has been out for awhile that checks the origin of APE, FLAC, SHN, WAV and LPAC files or audio CD tracks. The program is called Audiochecker, it tests your audio files and will tell you if they originated from CDDA (CD files) which is good or from a lossy source such as Mp3 which is bad!

I figured this app would be appreciated by you guys that are unsure of the origins of your FLAC files. Being as busy as I am, I have only run quick tests but I know you can optimize the testing for larger collections, such as the app will check the smallest file in the album. You can also have the app put a test log in each album folder which is very handy. Granted, this app takes a bit of time considering what it actually does and you only have to do the test once to know.

You can find it here:-> Audiochecker Beta
    Hopefully this will be of help to some of you that are worried about the source of some of your files. Comments? :)

2. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Nice, thanks for the contribution !

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It does seem to work.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yep, it works and very handy. This way there is no question of the quality of your files if you did not encode them yourself.

5. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    The date on that is 2006, and it's marked as beta. I am not sure I'd fully trust it.

6. Apatch

Apatch Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1080 OC
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, it is not a better tool because we are not talking about the same thing here. Checking albums you ripped for accuracy is a simple task...provided the checking is done when they are being ripped and that is not really the same idea here as EAC/accurate rip is looking for errors in the rip not where the file originated.
    Which is the problem, finding the origins of albums not ripped by you.

That being said, there are many ways you can do this task including looking at the spectrum of the track itself but it is neither fast nor user friendly. I wanted to find a simple procedure for those still new to this area to answer some question I have been receiving. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  8. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I just tried it on some WAV files I converted from MLP's and it doesn't seem to figure out the origin.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    MLP? My little pony? :D

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol at above.

Not used this yet, but i will hazard a guess that it checks based on CD's and not DVDA.

11. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    Pony? No, MLP is "My Little Pwny"

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you not read the original posting?:)
    The app checks if the files originated from CDDA or from Mpeg.
    Again, if you did the encoding yourself the app is a moot point, it is only for checking the origins of files you did not encode yourself.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  13. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Would one of your music tracks suddenly sound worse if you found out that it was ripped from an .MP3 file? If I couldn't tell by listening to the sound quality, I might not care?

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You would be able to hear it if you have good gear. The app is to check through large collections in which you may not listen to every song.
    BTW, it is not ripped, it is transcoded to flac. So using a low quality file and trans coding it to a lossless.

15. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    That makes sense.

16. e6600

e6600 Guest

GPU:
    Intel Integrated 64mb
    very cool, ive been looking a long time for something that could verify my flac files as true lossless. didnt think a program existed for this purpose

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Enjoy. It takes awhile if you are going to look through every song when you have large collection but you can set the app to shut down the system when finished. I just let mine run and went to bed.