Lucid Virtu MVP testing ...

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by krpetrov, Mar 9, 2012.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    That may not have been a bug. Probably they just recently added support for your motherboard as it did state that they added new licensed motherboards to the software.

deltatux

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nah, was a known bug. The 2.1.111 drivers did recognize my motherboard, it's just the 2.1.112 had a known bug by several boards that it decided not to recognize them.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ah, alright. 2.1.113 fixed the issue where it didn't play nice with my Radeon HD 6870. Now I can actually plug in my monitor to the IGP so that it uses the IGP for non-gaming tasks and use my GPU for actual gaming. Very nifty for power saving.

Plus, I can actually take advantage of my entire system, not liking the idea of disabling things unless there's no way of using it without sacrificing performance (like I rather disable my onboard audio so I can use my sound card without wasting power since the onboard will just be sitting there on doing nothing).

deltatux

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Do you see any performance difference in gaming between i-Mode and d-Mode? I couldn't get i-Mode to work before.

(Note: i-Mode is where the iGPU is connected to the monitor)

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I know i-Mode is where the iGPU is connected to the monitor :p.

I find that games seem a lot smoother with Virtual V-Sync. Hyperformance is a real hit and miss.

Try the latest Virtu MVP, it fixed a lot of things.

deltatux

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The note was for other people that didn't know....lol

I've seen no gain from Hyperformance in any of the few games I have, but use it and Virtual V-Sync anyway. I wanted to try i-Mode....but if the performance difference (loss) is too high, I'll just have to switch back.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I just tested I-Mode on my setup with 3dmark 11. I saw no loss of performance at all, problem is that on the games that Virtu MVP still doesn't support (Tribes Ascend for example), you will be restricted to the IGP :( .

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Guess I'll have to give it a shot and see if I'll be able to play any games later. Thanks for the info guys.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Thing is that in the application profiles, you can set software to run in i-Mode or d-Mode even if your monitor is configured into i-Mode. For example, if you set Battlefield 3 into d-Mode. Even though you're still connected via the IGP port, it uses your GPU to process the game and the IGP to process the Virtual V-Sync (if enabled). If you disabled Hyperformance and Virtual V-Syn, all the system is doing is Battlefield 3 being processed on the GPU and then copy the rendered frames for the iGPU to display on the monitor.

deltatux

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've tried both the i-Mode and d-Mode settings in the Virtu control panel....and in neither case does my dedicated card do anything if my monitor is connected to my iGPU.

Update: I got MVP to work in 3DMark with the monitor connected to the iGPU....but not in any games.

Last edited: May 27, 2012

11. Apatch

Apatch Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1080 OC
  12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well Virtu MVP seems to seriously dislike any game that it doesn't have on it's list already. I tried adding Tribes and it keeps preventing the game from starting even though it's the UE3 engine.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Being on the list doesn't guarrantee issues won't occur. I've had to disable MVP due to random lockups while playing WoW with it enabled.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well, the latest version (.113) crashed Mafia 2, had to disable the profile for it.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I've got Batman: Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Starcraft II and The Sims 3 working perfectly right now. I haven't really tested any other game at the moment.

I'm running my rig in I-Mode (monitor plugged into IGP) and the dedicated GPU does the rendering and the IGP does the Virtual VSync or standard VSync (in the case of Sims 3 since it doesn't natively support V-Sync, so I forced it on the Intel control panel).

deltatux

16. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    So in order for the Virtual Vsync to work, the monitor needs to be plugged into the IGP? I've tried it with Skyrim, and I can't tell much difference in the screen tearing. Either it just doesn't work well with Skyim, or I need to be running in I-Mode.

I did run in I-mode briefly though, and I got an error message about the AMD/Ati driver not working properly. If running in I-mode means I lose all the features of CCC, then I'm not so sure I'm willing to go for that.

I was really pumped about this new technology, because I thought the quest to stop tearing without mouse lag had finally reached a breakthrough (and maybe it has, just not with a game I want to play right now). I don't mind VSync, but the mouse lag it causes gets on my nerves, as evidenced by this thread from a while back: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=240885

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Edit: Oops, wrong version.

18. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Hmm before with the previous version I had graphics curruption in ARMA 2, but after the update it seems to work fine. I think they actually fixed some things.

It seems to make things a bit more smooth, which is what virtuMVP is for as far as I can tell. I have not notice any screen tearing, and the input latency seems to be the same or less than without it on.
    For me, it looks like its doing what its suppose to do.

I still have to do some testing, I have done nothing more than just play games with it on... I should compare with it off and see if there is much change.

edit, hmm it seems the latest virtu software will install on my laptop . Unfortunately its a 30-day trail, I will mess around with it and see how it is.
    Laptop has GT 525m and HD 3000 chip.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  19. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Im going to revist this software now Ive got a 3570k and see if it is any better than the 2500k was.

But regarding the i and d modes the release notes of the latest MVP software state this

20. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Unfortunately I haven't had much time to experiment this past week. However, I have been able to briefly play, and what I noticed is that when both Virtual VSync AND regular VSync are enabled, it seems to be producing the desired effect - no tearing and no mouse lag. I'll need to take some more time to confirm just to be sure though. I'm still in D-mode by the way.