Are we living shorter lives than those who came before us?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by fxmercenary, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    This question has been rolling around in my brain for the past 3 weeks as I have been playing Diablo 3.

I try to think about being an adult in life before the internet, and all that there was, were 13 TV channels, Record Players, no Internet/Cell phones etc...

With so little distraction, there must have been a much larger amount of person-to-person interaction, more conversation, people actually got to know their neighbors, strangers were less strange. Did days seem longer? Were there more vacations, with such a small amount of things to spend money on? A TV, some Furniture, A record player, a house, a car...

It just seems like we spend so many hours looking at screens every day, that we are going to shut down our computer one night, and say "holy crap im already 40..."

Maybe it is just me, but 10-20 went by slowly, but 20-30 has flown by.

So that is my question, Are we living "Perceived" shorter lives with so many distractions, non-social interactions etc. And did those generations before us live longer, richer lives, with so few distractions, so much social interaction, and so many less "Needs" in technology?

----It just seems that, say, when the power goes out, and my wife and friends all stop playing games, and just sit and talk about life and stuff, it seems so much richer, like in the episode of the Simpsons, when the TV goes away for a day...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hmmm interesting ! Well it depends how you're keeping yourself busy. For me, spending a whole day gaming in front of my screen didn't necessarily go any faster than a whole day of school and tuition (7 AM - 8 PM ).

With that said, I find that face to face interation has less to do with new age technology and more to do with culture. Having moved here (Canada) from Europe, i find that the people here are much more reserved. I also used to "game" plus everything i do here ... over there, but that didn't prevent me from knowing most if not all the people in my neighborhood.

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its always been the same, wait till 40+ the years seem to tick by. Some of my coworkers are in their mid 50s and some in their 60s and they seasons become like days. Truth is when you are young things are new and there is lots to see and learn and life feels more full from it.

But the whole neighbours knew each other better in the past I find to be true.

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    With the birth of the industrial world, two major meltdowns, politicians and government bent of genocide, a booming entertainment industry, and the possibility of world war 3...

Yeah, I think our lives will get considerably shorter. And they do say time fly's when you're having fun.

My thoughts.

5. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    yes we are and yes they did

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Average life span has continued to go up ever since the early 20th century. And the meltdowns haven't done squad to the overall species. Haven't you heard something called a nuclear bomb? Over 2,000 of them have been detonated since they were invented. Yet despite all that radiation release, average life span continues to rise.

And world war 3 has no possibility whatsoever of happening any time soon. I don't even know what your'e getting at with the "politicians bent on genocide" thing.

7. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Your just being told that the average lifespan is increasing ice445, where exactly is the proof? All I see if people around me dying of cancer yet people just accept this and never ask WHY. In the past month or so I know of about 6 people in my area that died of cancer. Again, Why? Something is giving people cancer.
    Whether you accept this or not politicians are the NUMBER 1 cause of unnatural deaths in the world. Governments are responsible for over 260million CIVILIAN deaths in the 20th-21st century.
    Here come the tin foil hat remarks......

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  8. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    Emphasis on this, with so much distraction available the perception of time can feel like the years are whizzing by.

But if you enjoy it, its by no means a waste of time.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I never wanted to live forever anyways.

10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Statistical fact say you are wrong.

What you see personally is statistically irrelevant, as to why cancer develops there are many reasons and would need to be seen on a case by case basis.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Not to mention the population is much higher than it was in days of old. Increased cancer patients are basically a statistical guarantee.

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Well Said, Sir...:cheers:

13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    time being wasted is not wasted time? i think i got that stupid quote wrong.... but the message is clear.

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the bible claimed people lived more than 900 years... Adam (apparently) lived 930 years. (Genesis 5:5)

"The fear of God prolongs life, and the years of the wicked are shortened."

oh rly?.. well i know some wicked people who seem to live forever [​IMG]

15. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Well, I did say my thought's, I didn't say they would be accurate for everyone :D

However, with the average lifespan increasing (for now) Is primarily due to the increase and advances in technology and the medical field e.g: "Penicillin" also known as "The Miracle Drug" which is practically found in many pharmaceutical drugs.

Did you also know America has also majored in one serious war every twenty years (gotta love this ****, I know it's for comedic value, but the man speaks the truth, sadly), and with the way china keeps bailing out America, "financially", and Korea and Russia constantly being on edge, then yes, the probability of world war 3 in our lifetime is very possible.

You do realize the radiation from the fallout in Chernobyl and Japan is "Ionizing radiation", right, then you're also aware that type of radiation stays in the atmosphere and soil for thousands of years - in fact they said the fallout from Japan was ten times worse than that of Chernobyl and the Japanese that died from direct exposure were so nuclear hot, that their loved one couldn't even visit their graves. Check this guy out.

I've got more, but is it really worth getting into a long debate?

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    China hasn't bailed out America financially...This myth is so overdrawn it's sad. We owe more money to JAPAN than China. China wouldn't even be an aggressor/instigator in a third world war scenario. As for the fallout, it's not like nuclear weapons don't also create ionizing radiation. You will get a nice dose if you go playing around in the craters in the Nevada test site. Not to mention Chernobyl hasn't had any real effects at all on the people who lived outside the zone. Even the wildlife has adapted and is mostly free of mutations.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Would you Please....STFU:banana:...............:)

18. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    You do not adapt to ionizing radiation, radiation effects you on a cellular level. Where the hell did you get that from.

Also, the amount of nuclear bomb testing these days are either detonated underground, or in space.

You ever heard of ghost money? that's much of the reason America is able to stay afloat atm, money that contains currency but no real value.

19. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Would you please..... GTFO. :)

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Once Again^^^^...STFU:banana:....

EDIT:Never mind...This^...

EDIT2: Mikedogg, You need Help...I/We are here Buddy:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.