Max Payne 3 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Boggy68

Boggy68 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI G6 Gaming
    It's because we like to fiddle and tweak and I am very guilty of this.

I think I have pin pointed my woes to checking the box "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" under the hard drive Policies. Shame I didn't uncheck this box before reinstalling Max Payne and trying 3 other drivers... If anyone else has checked this box, it may be worth unchecking

2. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Ok i didn't get any crash for 3 chapters and it worked good. at chapter XII i think its on the ship where he got drunk.

301.42 + No supersampling (Sparse x2 On NvInspector)+ no Vsync in game -or- adaptive vsync on the nvidia control panel Off + all game to max + FXAA DX11 -No-MsAA.

On nvidia - Adaptive power - Texture Filtering- High Quality

I think it maybe the Comodo Antivirus + Defense which made it crashed.

you need to put on GAME MODE + Trust gsrld.dll + disable the Defense protection not the antivirus.

EDIT :: Almost at the end of the game XIII and no crashes at all for more than 10 hrs.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    What AA bit do you use to force sparse in Nvinspector ?

4. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Bits are not supposed to be working with DX11. Moreover, you need 2xMSAA to push 2xSGSSAA.

My understanding for DX11 is that you leave the bits blank.

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

MSAA doesn't seem to work at all. For me at least.

6. sh1sh1n11

sh1sh1n11 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 OC
    yea I noticed that too. SSAO has darker shadows compared to HDAO. Enabling HDAO feels like going back to San Andreas shadows

7. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Ok ... Thanks for the info :0)

8. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    It does absolutely nothing !

Think we need a patch for it to work :0)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    MSAA works ok here,no problems at all it works when its applied on my machine.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    MSAA doesn't work on my GTX 680 SLI with the v301.42 drivers as seen in the screenshots in post #59 of this thread. Can you post a screenshot showing MSAA working please as it seems a lot of people are having problems getting it to work so if it is working with a specific driver then that might throw some light on things. Thanks. Even MSAA + FXAA looks poorer than just FXAA on its own.

11. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    FXAA makes this game very blurry in my opinion and MSAA is broke in this game it works but the performance impact is realy huge, so i use neither of them then jaggie,s a bit and sharper image then blurry image with fxaa.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    im not at my pc atm and i probably wont be at all today as im going to a party,anyhow im using the 301.52 dev driver and msaa definitely works for me,all other recent drivers for the 690 suck tbh in one way or another,ill post screen shots when i can but it wont be today edit i have actually forgot which driver im using now tbh,will post when i get back

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    301.52 ?? Have you a download link ?

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i think the driver im using is 302.59,im not at my pc so i cannot check

15. Boggy68

Boggy68 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI G6 Gaming
    Take a look at this http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31105859#post31105859

I **** you not it actually works. I wont bore you with the hell I have been through, but this crashing actually relates to your keyboard/mouse mapping. If you have your interact, or pick up gun mapped to the mouse, try it you have nothing to lose...

16. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
  17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Does MSAA + FXAA work on AMD cards? I'm currently awaiting a second reply from Rockstar's support over the apparently broken MSAA issue but I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is specific to my machine.

To elaborate, if I use 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High then the anti-aliasing looks very good but if I use 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High then it looks extremely poor (see the comparison images in post #59 of this thread). It seems that FXAA and MSAA do not work together and that enabling both causes MSAA to override/break FXAA completely. Logically, even if MSAA is broken, then FXAA + MSAA should look the same as FXAA + *no* MSAA but it doesn't on my system. FXAA + MSAA looks worst than FXAA on its own. :3eyes:

I just need some confirmation from others that this is the case on their system too. I'm using the current v301.42 WHQL drivers and have nothing forced through the driver game profile. The settings I'm using are 1920x1200, DX11, maxed quality (including Tessellation=Very High) and 16xAF.

18. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    I and others do confirm the issue with MSAA. I have a 680 with the same driver though.

19. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I read it somewhere that FXAA an MSAA aren't working together. I prefer MSAA, since objects farther from the camera look sharper with it. So, I disabled FXAA and am using only MSAA, the quality is very good. 1920x1080, everything maxed, 2x MSAA here (game wouldn't let me put 4X MSAA).

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    FXAA Very High and Off

Using 301.42-quadro-tesla-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql

Will update with FPS once I download Fraps:

Pics are 1920x1080 so not re-sized & 1mb

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

FXAA Very High:

FXAA OFF:

Constant 60 Fps in this area^.

Driver forced FXAA looks the same as h/VH in-game FXAA

AA is starting to become a problem on this platform, it's suppose to be + not pain in in the a**, I don't mind the performance hit as along as the setting does something but when 8xmaa looks like 2xmss:bang:.

Pull out the bolded file below and that will skip the flashing Rockstar logo that says 'Still loading' in the bottom right corner when you hit enter.

C:\Program Files (x86)\xxxx\Max Payne 3 - PC\common\movies:mp3_payne_pill_rockstar_logo.bik

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012