Windows 8 shaping up to be unmitigated disaster

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't like Metro, especially as i use a 47inch TV and everything is huge, but W8 is noticeably quicker and more efficient so i will likely switch eventually.

Who knows the more i like it, the more i might adapt and get used to it, as i point blank refuse to be one of those people who never give it a chance.

2. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Agreed 100%!

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I don't own a tablet so I certainly have no interest in my desktop being turned into one...

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Almost none of us would have had a problem with Win8 if they had left classic Windows desktop interface as a choice! No doubt it is a decent OS for mobile devices but that interface & KB/M isn't a match made in heaven.

6. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Buy a ****ing XBOX if you want kinect and all that crap :banana:

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well put. It is pretty clear it was intended as a touch screen interface so it just becomes frustrating/complicated as a desktop interface with KB/M...

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why would he buy an Xbox to motion/voice control his PC, that makes no sense.

Kinect and W8 does sound like a great idea, I will need to try it out one time.

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    where is the hitler youtube video on the Next best failed OS from MS????

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh i like w8 it makes everything work faster then w7. i do get around faster to everything on this. Took me bit of time to get accustomed but for sure i think it's better. Metro is fine i hardly ever used start menu anyway on w7. now i don't need to touch metro start menu for all i care o_O it looks nice and works good but, i just don't use it :D control panel is still 2 clicks away like olden tiems if you want to click away. so np.

12. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    my laptop goes to sleep and back in 1-2seconds. windows 7

my desktop? dont care. when i start my machine i WANT to see all the information i can, because its important to me. if something is causing issues its the first thing to check

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  14. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

I'd like to know his reasons. Other than being 3rd on the list for app support (iPhone & Android is always first), Windows Phone outperforms both of them imo, very speedy, responsive and has a lot of built in features that other phone OS's require an app for.

As for the general Windows 8 hate, I've noticed a lot of the negative feed back is coming from a) People who have only saw screen shots and haven't actually tried it or b) People who used either the Consumer or Dev Preview, and I assure you, the feel & functionality is a lot more improved in the Release Preview. Yes it is a different workflow & navigation, but it just takes some getting used to. I was the same way when I saw the Vista interface with so many things moved around and in different locations.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WindowsME is "over 98"....but wasn't WinNT. WinME was Dos based as was the rest of Win9x (Win 4.x)...

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That is because Metro gets in the way. Shuffling stuff around is a headache for a couple of days at worst. Change for the sake of change isn't a good thing either. All we want is the option to use the old interface. Imagine the uproar if XP didn't have the option for the Win98 start menu!
    For example, on the virtual machine in which the RP is installed, I wanted to check the device manager and see what changes have been done there. In 7 all I had to do was press the Windows key and type "Dev man" and the link shows up and I can click it. In 8 I have to type "control panel" to get the link to CP, then I visit CP and type "dev man" and click it. Needless step has been added.
    Thankfully the Windows+D shortcut works and I don't have to hunt for the desktop live tile but seeing that colourful and crowded metro screen is quite jarring, not as clean as clicking the button next to the clock to access the desktop or simply clicking explorer in the task bar.
    I read that Metro IE 10 and Desktop IE 10 don't share their bookmarks. Then what was the point of that Microsoft Account bit in the beginning?! Typical half baked WIP commercially released to the public. Windows "9" will be the real deal!

To Ballmer - "You've baked a really lovely cake, but then you've used dog **** for frosting".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    "Change for the sake of change" isn't good...you're right, but in this case, people aren't going to keep buying what looks like the exact same OS with a different name. MS has to do something to give users a reason to upgrade. They found out with Vista that simply refusing to add features to the previous release won't work. They HAVE to show that some sort of advancement has been made from 1 version to the next.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Metro has a lot of potential even on the desktop but they've delivered prematurely. If it adds steps or doesn't make things easier then what's the point? Sure tabs are a big market now but if Google backed Android is still trying to get things right then what hope does MS have with windows 8? What if desktop users are so turned off Windows 8 that they won't give the tablets or phones a look? After all the windows brand is strongly associated with the traditional PC.

MS has done some really good things with the Win8 too. I like the simplicity of task manager. It makes windows so much more accessible to the lay man. Even the introduction of Ribbon is great. I wish they spent more time to design the OS and not take a dump on the market just because Vista took a lot of time.

19. Desi26

Desi26 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC
    +1, EXACTLY how I felt, and will be sticking with 7 for many many years to come!

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black