I have a Lenovo Y470p with a AMD Radeon HD 7690M. First laptop I've ever had. It ha

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by css_switchfoot, May 16, 2012.

1. css_switchfoot

css_switchfoot Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7690M 1GB
    I have a Lenovo Y470p with a AMD Radeon HD 7690M. First laptop I've ever had. It has this switchable graphics thing to switch between the onboard Intel and the actual Radeon for battery life.

Anyway, to get to the piont of the post. I cannot find updated drivers for this card anywhere. AMD does not have the card on their website and their tool does not find it. The drivers on my laptop are from October of 2011 (from the Device Manager properties tab). The ones on lenovo's site for this laptop say they were from April 2012. After installing them ALL MY GAMES stuttered like crazy so I had to rollback to factory settings to get any games to run.

Is there someway to get AMD to support this GPU or am I better off returning the laptop?

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
  3. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Welcome!

Once you figure them out switchable laptops are pretty nice. The stuttering thing with the newer lenovo drivers may be something called sticky clock speeds. You can check with a program called GPU-Z. If they are stuck, you can download either MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx to raise the clocks.

There is also a gentleman goes by the name leshcat that puts out the latest drivers that are modified for switchable laptops. His site is: http://drivers.leshcatlabs.org/

Like I say, it is a bit of a learning curve for these machines but they are pretty sweet once you figure them out. Good luck!

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M

5. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Yeah I flopped on that one. I completely forgot about that guy.

6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    in addition to any sticky clock bugs, sometimes some games might end up running on the intel gpu depending on what your switchable settings are

7. css_switchfoot

css_switchfoot Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7690M 1GB
    Thank you for all of the replies.

I think I have the sticky clock speeds bug. In GPU-z its reporting my default clock is 100 (should be 750) and memory clock is 150 (should be 900).

I installed MSI Afterburner and the graph is showing my "max" to be those same low speeds, although the sliders are all the way to the right. I can't seem to figure out what is keeping my Radeon on such low speeds. Any ideas?

UPDATE: when I play a video using mpc-hc Afterburner shows the clocks go up to their max (750/900). If I run a game while the video is paused it works great. If I run a game with no video playing the game runs like crap and Afterburner shows the clock speeds sitting at 100/150. Why is this happening?

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  8. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Make a batch file with the following command in the MSI Afterburner folder then run it.

MSIAfterburner.exe -xcl

Should get a message to reboot if it worked right. When you reboot and go into CCC you should see the Performance/AMD Overdrive option. Hope this helps.

Also, if you want to get Afterburner working right open the config file and type this statement in the [ATIADLHAL] section as shown. Also note the UnofficialOverclockingMode is changed to 1.

[ATIADLHAL]
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it.
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
    AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
    UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  9. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Your BIOS also sucks. Read here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363263

I basically had the same locked crap and thankfully found a unlocked version.
    Thought it was only Acer hosing their customers but seems it is across the board with these switchable laptops.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  10. css_switchfoot

css_switchfoot Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7690M 1GB
    Thank you all for the help. Let me close this thread off with my solution.

*** PROBLEM ***
    (This all started after I changed my energy saving power options from Balanced to High Performance. The problem was my clock speeds would not increase past idling levels of 100/150 unless I had a video player open => games ran at 1/10th of my Radeon's capability)

I can't get leshcat drivers to work at all for whatever reason. I followed his guide to the letter. Once I do a complete driver wipe following his instructions, my system does not recognize the Radeon 7690M => The CCC install will not install the driver.

I rolled back to Lenovo's drivers which have extremely old ATI drivers (from mid 2011) despite the fact they were uploaded to Lenovo's site in April 2012.
    *note - the correct drivers for the y470p are the "Onboard graphics driver (Intel/AMD) they are 642 mb!
    http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=409045

*** SOLUTION ***
    This is in two parts:
    1. Enable PowerPlay in the Catalyst Control Center. I selected both "battery" and "plugged in" to maximize performance. For whatever reason, if the actual checkbox for PowerPlay is not checked, then the GPU clock speeds can become stuck idling even while playing games.

2. (Thanks to popeye!) I unlocked AMD Overdrive in the CCC and set my core clock and memory clock to a slightly different value than the stock. This is to make sure the clock speeds can never become stuck. This took me hours of forum searching to find this and it worked.

Hope this helps someone else out, and thanks again to this community for all of your help!

11. metsfan81

metsfan81 Guest

GPU:
    7690m
    Hey Switchfoot, same problem as you cant upgrade video drivers like yourself with leshcats. after selecting max performance for the powerplay options, did this allow the card to be recognized using Leshcats drivers?

12. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  13. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    So write to Leshcat and he will add support for your card ;)
    He did it also for my HD6630M :)
    http://drivers.leshcatlabs.org/support/contact-form/

Don't forget to write model of your notebook and ID of your graphic card...

14. link626

link626 Member

GPU:
    amd 6650m, nvda gtx660m

How do you unlock amd OD in CCC ???

my dgpu gets stuck idle too.

15. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    You have AMD CPU, not sure it works the same as Intel but from post several up:

Make a batch file with the following command in the MSI Afterburner folder then run it.

MSIAfterburner.exe -xcl

Should get a message to reboot if it worked right. When you reboot and go into CCC you should see the Performance/AMD Overdrive option. Hope this helps.

Also, if you want to get Afterburner working right open the config file and type this statement in the [ATIADLHAL] section as shown. Also note the UnofficialOverclockingMode is changed to 1.

[ATIADLHAL]
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it.
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
    AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
    UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

16. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Those with sticky clock problem with mobility GPU, stop using 12.3, 12.4 and 12.5beta. =x

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    For me they are working. I'm having a Toshiba lap with switchable gfx as well and Asder's drivers are working fine. My hardware contains of an A8-3520M APU which has an HD6620G crossfired with an HD6400M series.

Asder's drivers are working quite well on my setup.

Not sure about Intel HD/ AMD Radeon combo's though.

18. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    AMD driver officially supported mobility AMD + AMD gpus but not Intel + AMD. :(

19. link626

link626 Member

GPU:
    amd 6650m, nvda gtx660m
    and 12.6.

20. link626

link626 Member

GPU:
    amd 6650m, nvda gtx660m

do you get sticky idle clock when running fixed mode on 6400m ?