Booting Windows 8: Too Fast To Interrupt

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 24, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Remember the days of people complaining about their computer booting too slow Now people are going to complain about it booting too fast.

More...

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh man, this sounds like a horrible idea.

What if the Windows boot becomes corrupted, say from updating firmware and having an an AHCI partition selected as a non-AHCI in the BIOS (standard default settings on most motherboards), now you are stuck with no way to change the BIOS settings or boot up Windows.

Is it so difficult to make it so that if you hold down a certain key/s on startup it would enter the BIOS?

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Honestly this article and video doesn't make any sense to me, the boot time from bios checks and startup etc. has nothing to do with windows, so therefore, no matter how fast the OS is, the bios is always going to be the same (if on the same hardware etc.) so what does any of this have to do with booting being too fast to interrupt on windows 8? if it's too fast to interrupt, that's the fault (or benefit) of the motherboard/bios/manufacturer/etc. not windows

though i do like those features they implemented....i find it quite ridiculous that they continue to showcase windows 8 on a tablet of some sort, and yes, i know that's one of the main focuses of windows 8, but that's also a good reason i probably won't upgrade to it

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'm sticking to Linux as my main OS like i been doing for years and use windows only for gaming.

they can shove their menu driven os up their arse, back and forth, up and down....WTF is this crap!

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

If I understood them correctly, they take advantage of the features of the UEFI to make this possible.

6. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    wow just make me think they don't know what there doing

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    dont rly see the big deal...makes booting from a device easier for people who dont know how to tinker w/ BIOS settings or use the boot selection before windows loads.

8. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Just an excuse for Microsoft to sell lower latency keyboards.

9. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    This

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Yeah. Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing. Guy on a random forum does. Solid.

I know it's a lot to ask of you guys, but you could've looked up more information about this.

I'll get out the spoon and feed it to you though. Here comes the airplane.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...or-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx

If there's a problem that keeps Windows from booting, you automatically get the F8 advanced options menu.

Last edited: May 24, 2012

11. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    My phone screen is already smudgy enough. Don't need another dirty screen to have to clean all the time.

Also...the BIOS already lets me do all those features. And if I want to boot in to safe mode I just hit F8. They are actually adding steps to get to these services.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    And removing steps every other time you start up the computer.

Did you see 7 seconds boot time? Every time you turn on the computer. Coming back from hibernate is even faster.

Oh no, an added step in exchange for cutting away almost all the boot time.

And, you can still hit F8 to get there, you just have a 200ms window to do so.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Bullet time.
    There,i said it.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That still wouldn't solve the issue I brought up...

Granted that 99% of people don't ever go into their BIOS's much less update them, but it's still an issue that will crop up.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It definitely does. First off, if Windows is completely inaccessible, we don't even know if it will affect the boot time/time to get into BIOS.

If you've screwed up the method used to access the hard disk, then Windows will fail to be loaded, and you'll get whatever Windows 8 version of "bootmgr not found" is. It won't be booting into windows, it won't even see that Windows is on the disk, so you'll have tons of time to get into the BIOS.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Maybe your right.

You don't have Windows 8 installed by any chance?

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Issue is that most people don't specifically install Windows to boot natively from UEFI. Most people just accept the current default which is to boot Windows via BIOS emulation in their UEFI interface because either they don't know that they're using BIOS emulation or they are still using an operating system or partition configuration that may make UEFI booting not feasible.

However, UEFI booting is faster than BIOS emulation. I personally have installed Windows 7 using native UEFI booting and it's noticeably faster than via BIOS emulation. You also get to take advantage of the GPT partition scheme than the traditional MBR partition scheme.

Usually by the time the UEFI boot screen showing the GIGABYTE logo shows up, it flashes for 1 second and then I'm already in the Windows logo. I usually have to tap the [DELETE] key while my motherboard goes through the POST process which takes up to 5 seconds before I hear the POST beep. Windows 7 boots very fast already with native UEFI, now what I understand is that Windows 8 would be even faster.

deltatux

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    At home, but it doesn't include these boot time improvements, and my BIOS isn't UEFI.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I cannot quite work out how a computer can boot up too fast to be annoying. I mean if I turned my PC on and the desktop instantly appeared then I'd be delighted. Who wouldn't be?

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just in theory
    if the computers wakes up from your fappin session,and your aunt is visiting and wants to check her FB from that computer,well it boots/wakes so fast...i have a dirty mind,i reckon.