Auzentech Forte, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by uffa, May 14, 2012.

1. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I recently had the chance to put my hands on the Auzentech Prelude. I already own Auzentech Home Theater and I'm actually pretty happy with it but I have to say that I was very suprised with sound quality that the Prelude has to offer. It's deffinitely crisper and the bass was a treat to my ears. It more pronounced. Not too boomy but definitively a right balanced clear base.

I wanted to keep it but it was riddled with driver issues. Hissing and crackling. I found it it's known issue with windows 7 users (what a shame). This kinda made me intrigued and interested that may be I should try the forte and how does it compare to the Home Theater in terms of sound quality? I know a lot of you guys have sophisticated ears and tried lots of different sound cards.

Now before any thing I have to clarify a few things, I am aware of the ASUS sound cards and how awesome they are. My friend has the hdav 1.3. It's has an amazing sound too. However I'm not gonna consider Asus because, I play older games, I do like using that THX console, I have a the front sound panel bay, and I love the crystalizer. I Also don't use headphones. I play mostly games and sometimes watch some internet videos on my 7.1 speakers.

So if any of you guys got the chance to try some of these cards? what do you think of the Forte sound quality in comparison?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    it wasn't bad but I sold it because I just run straight HDMI out to my AV unit off my video card and let it do all the work.

In comparison to my X-Meridian (Original) for my office PC, the X-Meridian is better IMO but good luck finding one. :p

3. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    If I decide to get it. I'll just buy a used one. It should be cheap.

4. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I had a Forte, it sounded great, but it died within a week. I replaced it with a X-Meridian 2G and have not looked back.

5. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Yeah been hearing great things about the Meiridian. Did you notice any differences in quality? (i.e tighter base, better response to mids or highs?)

6. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    If you buy used try to get revision 1.2. They added a heat sink to the card.

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I've had all three of the Auzentech cards mentioned above. The Prelude,and the Forte,are much better for gaming than the X-Meridian. IMO. The absolute best card I've ever had for gaming,is the one I use now. Xonar Xense. There is a THX control you can download that works with Xonar etc. cards. You will have to google it.

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  9. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    @ Icanium: Good tip about the heatsink. Will remember that if I end up buying it.

@ Eslik: I'm very interested. What do you like about the xense? Kindly remember that I don't listen to music or use headphones. I play games over my speakers.

@ Harkinsteven: You know, I really liked it but the dang thing won't stop hissing and crackling. Tried different slots. and tried different drivers but nothing solved the problem. I REALLY wanted to keep it but it never worked.

10. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    As the Forte only lasted a week before dying, I did not have it long enough to give an honest evaluation of it.

11. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The Xense just sounds better with 5.1 analog,and in games. I don't know a damn thing about the technical innards of a sound card,I just go with how it sounds. I've had Claro,Auzentech,Creative etc.etc.,and none of them gave me a true and positional surround as clearly as the Xense. I just ordered the Rog Phoebus card from Asus. I'll see how that compares,and let everyone know what I think. It never ends...

12. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Ouch. That Xonar xense is very expensive.

13. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I've had a forte for about 3 years now. It's a good card but the earlier revisions don't have that heatsink and start to crackle/distort until the systems rebooted or you logg off and back on. It's such a pain, happens in the middle of movies and stuff. Been meaning to get a new sound card for a while now.

14. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The reason is the Xense comes bundled with the PC 350 headphones. The new ROG Phoebus appears to be very similar to the Xense,and it doesn't come with headphones. Still a heafty price though. $200.00 However,if you want the best,you have to pay for it.

15. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Looks like the phoebus was recently released no reviews so far. I"m still interested in hearing what people think about the forte though.

16. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    As an aside, I was wondering if there is any significant difference between all the CMI-8788 chipsets floating around at the ~$120 price level [ASUS Xonar D2/D2X, HT Omega Claro Halo, Auzentech Meridian 2G]. Based on specs, these cards all seem to be more or less functionally equivalent, just tuned differently, or is there something I'm missing?

17. trakker

trakker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    Forte vs Auzentech Home Theater

The Auzentech Home Theater has a better design wich result in better sound
    and prduces less heath than the Forte !
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/auzen-xfi-home-theater-hd_4.html#sect0

I modded mine with dual lme49990 for center channel
    and lme49860 on other channels and it sounds great !

you can get the dual lme49990 soldered here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-SOIC-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTER-/190662919693?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D190577861922%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8534250594109877167

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have Forte with heat skin and it has been great. No crackling, hissing or popping. Latest drivers work just fine too.

19. TheGovernment

TheGovernment Guest

GPU:
    evga 580 SLI
    The HD and the forte are the same card with the hdmi of the HD added on. That was confirmed on auzentechs forums. The HD is a forte with hdmi 1.3. No sound differences. I have both as well as the new Asus phoebus. They are all good cards.

20. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    My amateur take on Forte and Auzentech in general:
    STAY AWAY!
    I wrote TL;DR explanation elsewhere some time ago, but generally speaking:

1) Drivers are ****. They don't release anymore often than once in two years or so. Pathetic. I have to manually restart windows audio service several times a week because sound gets corrupted.

2) Auzentech support is ****! It took them FIVE MONTHS to reply to my ticket about RMA, and they said I will be charged $20 because my warranty was over. No **** sherlock, you ignored me for half a year!

Stay away from that company, even Creative is better than that.