Overheating GPU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by VultureX, May 13, 2012.

1. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Ah yes, the awful 460's from palit.
    Some have a cooler with heatpipes, while yours probably only has an aluminium block that is barely sufficient.

2. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE
    Fan 3 should be blowing air the opposite way. its all wrong with that fan blowing towardsthe font of the case

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its nice that u got a 10c drop but your airflow is still all ass backwards

4. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Agreed... airflow is pretty bad there!!

you shouldn't have any air coming in, where you want air to be going out!!

(and remember gpu1 will nearly always run hotter than gpu 2 in the majority of circumstances

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It's actually beneficial in a lot of cases to have reverse airflow where the intakes are at the back and exhausts at the front as the important stuff (CPU/GPUs/mobo) have cool air blowing straight onto them.

But it wouldn't really work here; you should turn your radiator fans around, having the heat from the radiator blowing into the case is not an ideal situation.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I know my airflow is messed up, but there is not enough room to have the radiator fans on the other side. I made a mistake with this case which only has room for a 240mm radiator. I had no choice to hang it on the back, but it's not attached very securely and I can't move it back enough to have the fans on the other side...

(btw, the 2700k ROCKS :banana: major difference from my Q6600 and I haven't even started to overclock yet. Everything is lightning fast :D)

7. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Best thing you could do now is get something like a Xonar DX so you can use the sound card above your gpus.. Would be an upgrade too..

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Just turn them around?

9. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE
    You only have yourself to blame if you dont want to listen to us.

10. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    Insane dude! I'm surprised the vid cards can dump much air out of the case fast enough with the radiator there, and the out-take fan at top of case would suck most cool airflow straight up, though some hot air would be drawn out with this. Can't even jam a duct in there to get cool air to the GPU because of sound card. Damn stupid motherboard manufacturers stick extra slots between the graphics slots, I don't know what they are thinking.

I'd yell at that graphics card "cool you bastard!" then cry myself to sleep, but that's just my personal method. Maybe you could make a duct with a long thin opening like a vacuum cleaner tip (like those ones for cleaning corners) that can push cool air into that little gap between the soundcard. Though I'd probably get another soundcard that fits somewhere else.

11. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I've said before that the soundcard is not gonna leave and that is my personal choice. I went over my budget and I'm not gonna spend more. It is how it is, really. There is no room to guide air in there via ducts or something, I'm happy I could shave off those 10C thanks to the tips given here. :)

@morbias: wouldn't that create a sub-optimal airflow through the radiator? I'm postive that the fans are best placed blowing air in the radiator rather than sucking it out.

Oh and @Steve: please keep your comments constructive and actually read mine before you start posting, you're not really helping...

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE
    Oh and @VultureX before being so rude read what I had to say (which was constructive)

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    There is the argument that sucking is actually better as it lessens the deadspot caused by the fan motor, personally I've not seen any difference between the two.

[EDIT] I really tried not to make that sound sexual but I think I failed

14. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yes, now will I point out the badness or will you? ..
    I didn't try to be rude, but there is no real way of stating without sounding rude, I'm sorry that I picked you out for criticism ;)
    Here's something for you to laugh at:

[​IMG]

haha yea, all that sucking and blowing. What are we actually doing? :D I will try it out one day though, if I have the time ;) Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

15. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    lol i see a hammer in teh case and im not even that high right now

16. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    If the GPU's are venting to the right, try shutting fan 1 and 2 off. They would be putting pressure on the exhause and prevent air from flowing through the video card heat sink.

17. BlueFyre

BlueFyre Member

GPU:
    2x GTX470 1GB
    Personally I was having trouble with my 2x GTX 470 in SLI. What fixed it for me was putting the cards in positions 1 and 3 instead. I had to get an Antec 1100 to replace my Fractal R2 in the process though.

It used to push 100 degrees (dangerous), and now it maybe hits 80 on the hottest card in the same load

18. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Same here. The 2 GB version is clocked a little slower than the 1 GB , so my hottest card peaks out at 94° highest and usually stays in the 80s. Second card is always 10° cooler.

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I wish I bought the 2GB versions, though :(
    The cards have lots of power in SLI, but the lack of vRAM is holding me back in most games...

20. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Yes, a few games use more than 1 GB. I can see that, since I'm monitoring the cards on my G15 with MSI afterburner. Was to be expected when I bought them, although everyone else was saying it's useless at that time.

I suppose it will be the same for 3 GB soon, making all 2 GB 680 owners unhappy. I'd go for 4 GB today, but the cards are too expensive anyway, and an upgrade is not needed currently.