690 GTX Club/Overclocking/Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, May 8, 2012.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    thanks bro its always nice to see 3d03 and its not a bad score for 4.4 and w7.
    Good luck with that card man

2. rootz

rootz Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 690
    Could i have a faulty card?

Crysis 3 installed with DX11 and High graphics i can not get passed 1/2 way loading before i get a blue screen.

BF3 i played for 35m and than a blue screen also.

The heaven benchmark does a full cycle on dx11, tesalation on, 16x aa and extreme on 2560 x 1440 but i notice when it's loading the first time at the top of the dragon i get like a black stripe for a second and than 2 other quick stripes that last 000.001 second.

The benchmark starts of with stuttering but corrects itself and max fps is 112 and min fps is 8.

When the second cycle of the benchmark start kaboem again blue screen.

I am running a i72600k on stock settings and i already swapped to .33 drivers. I got 2 x ssd in raid0 and a 1250w power supply. My cpu is watercooled and is idle on 32C

I changed my memory to 16gb when i put the card in so i swapped back to my old 8gb memory and still the same results.

My idle temps with 30% fans speed is 40C and that is with the case open atm. When i used heaven i put it on 75% fanspeed and my max cpu temp was 78C

My old gfx card was a GTX 580 and i never had blue screens or problems.

I have not reinstalled the system, but i used driver sweeper to install the new drivers.

I am serious lost what to do as i really do not want to resinstall and i am afraid i have a faulty card :(

Should i reinstall? what you guys think. I am not that technical to understand where my is blue screens comes from.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    ^
    I can comment on Heaven, that by dragon seems to be a nvidia glitch..

Actually 3.0 is a bit buggy when you're in benchmark mode, occasional blinking (light blue), loading stutter at the beginning and this dragon glitch.

The rest looks like a driver issue, did you try 301.33 yet?

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Heaven 2.5 and 3.0 runs flawlessly on my rig. Be it benchmarking or looping for stability

5. rootz

rootz Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 690
    Yeah i am on 301.33, only thing i have not done yet is reinstall my system. Since i also work on the pc it's a bit meh, but i guess i have no other option.

If it still keep blue screening after reinstall i guess i rma it as i am really not up for sitting with a 900 pound faulty card.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    It may take a driver or two to get things worked out,that happens alot with franken cards.
    i always used to bich at that.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Hey Cowie my max oc for this card while being stable in Heaven bench and 3d mark 11 is.....
    Power target:135
    Gpu clock offset:130mhz
    Memory clock offset:500mhz

Gpu1:1186mhz
    Gpu2:1176/1186mhz
    Max temp:75 Degrees
    Fan speed:70
    Max volts:1.175

Some of the buys over at Overclock.net are able to push....
    Power target:135
    Gpu clock offset:140mhz
    Memory clock offset:700mhz!!

Whenever i try and set my memory offset to 700mhz the screen artifacts on the desktop and the card resets to stock and i have to set the overclocking bars up again on Evga precision,so for me 700mhz is out of the question,infact testing at 600mhz does not artifact my desktop when setting the bar at 600mhz but it crashes when i run 3d mark 11 half way through.

What do you think of my oc above,1186 on both pcbs?I think this is my max atm,any higher and im not stable in 3dmark.

I was thinking of returning this card and trying an msi one,they do have them instock...what do you think i should do,stick with what i have or try an msi 690?

Would like to hear opinions from anyone please.....
    Thanks

Hi Rootz you have 2 options here.....

Return the card,tell them its not working on your system wether they find faults with it or not,you either want it changed for brand new one or your money back

Or

You could do a fresh install of your pc(which i would do now if you have the time)and see if it improves once you have a clean os.
    If you do that by the end of today and its still playing up,just send it back for peace of mind i would,do it within 7 days with regards to the Distance selling regulations.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Thats good and close to what my 680 does
    i get 1311 boost with +186 ram +500 the other card i had only +150 +450 1220 or so boost
    both heaven and vantage both max boost well for tests,i check with ab osd monitoring to make sure of "on the fly"changes.
    But really in truth keplar not great production with overclock in games anyway so if you got a card that went +200 +600 there is little to be gained from what you have now.not withstanding when you clock a x2 cored card it adds more then single card obviuosly.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah so your saying little to be gained even if i did get a core of 200+.
    Thing is everytime you go up 10mhz you get 1fps increase in heaven bench so even the best gtx 690 that could hit 1250 on the core (which i have yet to see,only reviewers seem to have 690s that clock this high)will get around an extra 7fps compared to myself!Not alot really i guess,cards that go 1250mhz on the core are very rare for a 690.

And Cowie you have 1311 with boost thats a good oc for a 680.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i got afew more points in 3d11 and vantage, bf3 maybe a few frames
    you cant see live boost in gpuz remember
    i'd run osd to check things out if your not already

11. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    And? Its ok here too, expect for that dragon - it happens for a split micro second (all do it 2.1, 2.5, 3.0) and the new 3.0 has some occasional screen flashing issues.
    Both of these issues are mentioned by other users - flashing started with 3.0, so its nothing new or damaged HW related.

Edit: and im just saying too, sometimes it happens sometimes not.. GPU/ram OC'ed or underclocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9F6zSgtRnkE#t=123s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0HWZKGZcKoA#t=105s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nVSYt2-McEo#t=104s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T8MqymwPgYs#t=157s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zZRZTLf2aug#t=136s

Anyway, back on topic.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Just saying. I have no issues.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah im running osd mate,im maxing out at this to be stable in both 3dmark 11 and heaven.

pcb1-1176
    pcb2-1176/86
    memory both pcbs-3506

I think this is my max,i tried turning down the memory clock and upping the core by 10mhz,still fail in 3d mark but pass in heaven.

Looking around the web my oc is not the best and its not the worst,some people are getting more and some people are getting less,i think ill just stick with my card,but im still tempted to try an msi one,thing is i could try one and get worse oc or i could get better,even if i did get better,maybe 20mhz more? vcore 150 instead of 130,not worth it i dont think.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Sup TheHunter how ya doing bro?

15. rootz

rootz Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 690
    A little update and i think (hope) i solved my problem.

The bluescreens went so fast i could not even see what was wrong until at one point i got glimpe of it and it said: dlkmd.sys

Googled and it turned out to be a driver for a usb to vga adapter wich i TRIED to use for a 3rd screen ( as you can only use 2 monitors on 1 gpu in multip gpu config and i have 3)

Not wanting to hassle with it i reinstalled and once every update/device was done i installed the 301.33 drivers, directx and heaven and used the settings that veteran uses on 1650 x 1080 and i has 3 succesfull runs by now with a non overclocked system.

Going to run a bit more to see it keeps being stable, but a defect card would have bugged already again i think.

One question as i do not understand the power target in evga precision, can i put it up a bit for more power or leave it at 100%?

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Like i said dought 20-50mhz be ground shaking in real performance.

like you said never know what your going to get if its broken dont fix it .

Lol dont start :bang:

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i just leave my power target at 135 permanent,what this does is tells the gpu that if i need to use more power as in voltage then you can use it,if you have it less than 135(when overclocking) then you may not be giving the gpu the voltage that it needs to run at your overclock.

I leave mine at 135 even on stock settings permanently because read this....

Taken from HardOCP
    During regular operation at default settings we found that the GeForce GTX 690 was running at 1058MHz thanks to GPU Boost in all our games. The baseclock is 915MHz, but GPU Boost was taking the frequency of the GPUs to 1058MHz. We also found that GPU 2 was always the one at 1058MHz, and that GPU 1 was always somewhere between 980-1006MHz. What this means is that one GPU was a bit slower than the other, and we verified this as we played games.

We were in fact able to stabilize GPU 1 and make it go up to the same frequency as GPU 2 simply by raising the Power Target slider to 135%. We noticed that when we did this, GPU 1 would always hit 1058MHz along with GPU 2 and it seemed to stabilize the frequency to always stick at that frequency.

We came to the conclusion that if you are gaming, and want to stabilize GPU Boost between both GPUs, raising the Power Target is the way to go. This will keep both GPUs at the same clock speed, and it won't be overclocking the GPUs. The GPUs occasionally spiked up to 1071MHz, after raising the Power Target, so it didn't affect maximum clock speed too much, it just helped "equalize" both GPUs to each other. So there is a easy tip for stabilizing performance with the GTX 690; raise the Power Target.

Rootz you have a Gigabyte card right?When you get chance raise your memory offset to 700mhz and apply it let me know what happens,the reason i ask is because EVGA cards can select 700mhz but on my Gigabyte i cant,i wont let me run at that setting,i need you to confirm for me what it does for you with same settings.
    Cheers.

18. rootz

rootz Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 690
    Cheers for explaining that, i will leave it on max than.

I am sorry dude, i got a MSI not Gigabyte and tbh i have no clue how i do that, i am happy i got it working so far :p

I can try if you explain me as long as it does not get me blue screens again :p i need my system for work tomorrow :)

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok mate,in EVGA precision there are 3 bars.....
    power target
    gpu clock offset
    mem clock offset

My settings for EVGA precison fully stable in 3d mark 11 and heaven are...

power target 135
    gpu clock offset 130
    mem clock offset 500

What i need you to do is increase the mem clock offset to 700 and apply it please.Will it let you do it,my card wont let me.....

20. rootz

rootz Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 690
    Yeah i can put it on 700, it let me aply