Ivy Bridge heat problem is caused by Intel TIM choice

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 13, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How did those Japanese guys remove the heatspreader and reattach it without damaging the CPU....?

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the thing that sucks is that now that amd have backed out of the high end market, intel can do whatever the hell they want, and we cant do a thing about it.

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Given that most of us will attach an extra fan to anything, or buy more expensive thermal paste for a quarter of a degree...Yeah, it's a big deal. Even if this poor decision is costing 5 degrees, it's a big deal.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In Prime it barely reaches 60c - and that's with really low fan speed (I like it silent). As far as I know, 4.5 GHz shouldn't be much of an issue. Run much cooler than my old 2600K at same clock speeds.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Quoting a figure means exactly nothing. What cooler, what ambient?

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I call bs on the 16c 20c reduction with just a tim change

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It could be down to higher pressure between the heatsink and die during their tests with new TIM.

8. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    the ihs is attached only by rubber on the outside and thermal compound between the ihs and the die. it will remove the warranty but it will not destroy the cpu. ive been removing the IHS ever since intel started using these retarded designs.

its good for morons that kept destroying cpu dies by breaking off the corners of the die by using bad heatsink designs

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Intel know what they are doing. They have not designed IB for enthusiasts who OC but for the masses who run it at stock and who will not encounter any heat problems. The chip running within its design parameters will be OK whether for desktop or laptop. And Intel will laugh all the way to the bank with it.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    True it may have less to do with tim and more with the ihs fitting.
    sry but you can put toothpaste on the ihs and still not lose 20c with better tim

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Then again, if thats true, the cap isnt well fitted.
    If the results are to be believed, Intel either deliberately gimped IB to around the same 'performance' as SB or made a mistake.
    Maybe they want to boost demand for LGA2011 among high end gamers.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I call bs on the 20c drop as its obviously a flux capacitor issue

13. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC

You mean mainstream market. ;)

14. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    Pics or it never happened.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Pics of what? Voiding warranty to change the Tim?

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    how about a video
    ofcoarse i was stretching it abit with the tp thing.
    from pccriminal @xs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCW508yl_Eg&feature=player_embedded#!
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...IHS-Removals-CPU-temp-dropped-from-79C-to-71C
    looks like he used a es and dropped 9c-11c and gained 100mgz on the clock.
    thats the most you could expect,i would think unless somethings wrong from the start.
    i dont know if anyone said it, this should not need to be done at all and that reduction pc got seems to add up to the increased tjmax of ivy.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  17. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Really? Intel went chinese on their CPU manufacturing using cheap TIM, a heatspreader must be soldered to the CPU die for efficient cooling, not use a piece of crap paste that they probably use also on the stock heatsink.

The Ivy supposed to reach Sandy's frequency with less volts and less heat, that is what 22 nm supposed to do, not to mention now apart from the heat not being eliminated good because of intel's TIM, but also because there is a larger surface area of metal in the CPU because of the raised 3D gate transistors.

Big mistake intel, big mistake going chinese on your products, thank God i did not spend the extra 50$ to get a K version, i am limited to 3.7 ghz a correct price i payed, since I am cheap, like intel, but people who were not cheap and got a K, i feel sorry for you.... go to an electronics engineer and ask them to solder the heatspreader to the CPU die, using fluxless solder, that is if you want to OC your 3770K over 4.5 GHZ!

And i am surprised that people here who like hardware and OC don't know how a heatspreader is attached, it's basically glued on the silicon, that black stuff around the silicon, is the glue intel used to glue it

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK, thanks....I wasn't sure how it was attached.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    How can you say that? the K versions are specifically made for enthusiasts and overclockers and command a premium (+- 50€) over the non K versions because they´re supposed to be better to OC. So the least Intel should do is to make to chip with the best materials possible so we can overclock as much as possible!

I´m still tempted on buying a 3570/3770K because they are much better for sure than my Q9550 buy i really can´t agree with Intel going cheap with customers willing to pay top prices for better chips.

I hope a revision will fix this issue.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You really believe that tripe?

Intel has a monopoly, which allows them to lock their CPU's and charge a premium for unlocked chips. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$