690 GTX Club/Overclocking/Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, May 8, 2012.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I'm in no hurry, not cancelling because of the 670 release though!

A single 690 will pump less heat into the case than two 670's and most 670's are OC'd anyway to get the performance upto a 680 so OC a 690 and it's probably bye bye 670 SLI :)

2. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Also 670 SLI to 690 min FPS's weren't shown and IMO would be the difference, I hate dropping frames...

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The 670 is a great card and its cheaper etc BUT its not a 690 is it:cool:

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It isn't but 2x GTX 670 in SLI come very close to it at a much reduced cost. In fact, you can pick up 2x 4 GB GTX 670s for £170-200 less than a GTX 690, which currently 'only' has 2 GB per GPU, and you'll only lose a few percent performance. Those cards won't dump heat all over your hard drives either. ;)

The GTX 690 is certainly a great card and one that reeks of quality in the screenshots with an impressive build and design. That's undoubtedly where the extra cost has gone but it's hard to argue it's good value in the face of GTX 670 SLI. Certainly, if I was considering SLI I would opt for two 4 GB GTX 670s. In fact, I was thinking about ditching my GTX 680 for those last night while looking at 2560x resolution monitors.

Common sense prevailed though as I figured it would be more sensible to wait until later on this year when the GF110 is rumoured to be coming out. That may match or come close to a GTX 690 at a much lower price and come with 4 GB too.

Last edited: May 11, 2012

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    I'll join the 690 club and no, I have no regrets whatsoever.

6. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Wrong. If you get two reference GTX670's in SLI you will pump a lot less heat into your case. The GTX690 pumps heat out the back of it into your case.

7. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    I would rather get the 690 if i didnt had the two 680´s. Reason ? Cause with one 690 you can allways buy another one and have two gtx 690´s :) And then two 670´s would be far behind ;)

8. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Ant then two GTX670's would be less than quarter the price of tow GTX690's. Unless you have plenty of money then it makes more sense to go with 2x GTX670 than 2x GTX690.

9. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    But for some money is not an issue, thats what i mean :) So saying two 670s would make more sense then two 690s is wrong imo. Its just about who you are and what kind of money you make.

My girlfriend work as a Doctor at the hospital she could get 4-5 of these cards a month w/o any problem, maybe "Veteran" does the same and then its no problem at all buying two 690 that will out preforme two 670s like there is no tomorrow :)

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its here....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :bigsmile:

11. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    If money was no object to me I would rather 3X reference GTX680. Less heat in my computer case = win.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Veteran Nice! :D

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    So this thread was created for 690 owners and yet it has descended into arguments for getting 2x670s rather than a 690. Surely that argument should be kept for the 670 threads?!

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its about time they used 2 PCs feeding into an interleaving HDMI controller/switch so each computer creates odd or even frames, giving true frame rate doubling.
    Frame timing could be controlled by a 2 way wire plugged between the 2 computers main gfx cards, connecting each other.
    The same wires can be used for arbitration and timing.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE

OK, I admit it, I'm jealous. Deeply jealous! :p

Enjoy your new "toy" and don't forget to post your benchmarks and experiences with it.

P.S. That case looks rather cramped with the water cooling. It looks like you did well to get the graphics card in there at all!

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah those pictures are not the best tbh there dark taken off my phone,there is actually plenty of room even for another card( i had 2x295's in here)the reason why there is so much tubing is because i cooled my nb/sb/mosfets after i cooled the cpu so instead of buying an all in one block i first bought cpu then nb/sb then mosfets blocks,but it all runs amazingly cool,i have an excellent fully stable oc on 930 and i get no problems or bsods,i also always keep the case side cover on.

What you cant see is the triple rad bolted on the back using a radbox,the antec 1200 is not the best case for water but it does the job for what i need it for now,i do have a caselabs in the attic which i will be building once i can be bothered and the hardware comes available,im really quite content with my 930 atm,i love it!:)

Thanks for the comments Daz,benching right now!

17. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Damn Veteran your making me jealous, I've got mine on order and it's in stock but the mobo I need is still on backorder so I have to wait until next week to have some fun....Post some benchies mate as it will give me a great idea of what I can look forward too.

18. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Look forward to your benchies too - mine's being delivered around 3pm but won't get it installed until late tonight.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can't wait to read them but, please, don't make them sound too good! ;)

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im having some problems.
    I was benching ok in 3d Vantage 10 and 11 fine,but now everything is slow even when typing this,whenever i run anything i get slow fps down to between 5-10,i dunno wtf is going on.

I did have a driver not responding error earlier and since then its been dead slow even after reinstalling drver.