Microsoft Blocking Firefox Win8

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Brasky, May 10, 2012.

1. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    What other versions besides Windows RT? As is this is pretty bold move from Microsoft, as if they block it from other versions then I can see a huge outrage, as the current version of IE is crap, and 10 isn't any better from what I've seen, when I tried windows 8. Also, if they block Firefox, why not chrome, as it's just as popular, if not more.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This article is bull****. Microsoft developed a bunch of new API's for Windows on ARM that need to be utilized in order to build what Microsoft is calling a "Modern Application". The new version of IE uses these new API's entirely on the ARM platform. If Mozilla or Google want their solutions on this, all the need to do is build their software on these API's as well.

4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thought it would be something like this considering MS can't even put IE on Windows in Europe, never mind something like this.

So much nonsense is posted as journalism these days, likely on purpose to generate revenue.

6. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It's pretty simple really. Firefox just needs to get it's own OS made and not let MS IE run on it. /derp

7. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Who would buy a Mozilla operating system? Wouldn't be much you could do with it.. lol. Dumb comment

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^thats the point, both chrome and firefox are NOTHING without windows, and now they complaint about it lol pathetic

9. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Close, it's the other way around. Microsoft developed new API's that they publish, and Metro applications use. This is what Firefox would have to use. They have now hidden the old Win32 API's so app's can't use them, while IE can.

They aren't blocking Firefox specifically.

I understand why they are doing it, but I don't agree with it at all, it's a very Apple approach and I don't like the direction Apple is headed either.

10. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Why does microsoft even care who uses what browser?

Maybe micorosft should just admit.. Their last good operating system was Windows XP. (Hey here is a brilliant idea, make Windows 8 like WindowsXP, not retarded looking like a cell phone... there is a reason Windows XP is still in use today.. their is a reason I still use it. Windows 7 is a bug haven and just sucks... Vista is worse. Windows 8 will be a hell hole and a half)

I'm concerned what i'm going to do when I really can't use Windows XP anymore, but I doubt support for this OS will stop anytime soon.

It's really too bad Linux isn't more mainstream..

If anything Google should make an operating system, if they did not only would their marketshare go up 10x but I know I would be willing to try it.

Everything google has done is user focused, not about making alot of money, but about easy of use, and customization to make it the way you want.

Microsoft and Apple will eventually go the way of the dinosaur IMO. Apple will die when the herd of iSheep stop buying into their crappy overpriced products, and Microsoft will die when another operating system comes out that is comparable to Windows and can somehow support everything Windows can without needed new software for everything...

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Anyone who likes XP more than 7 on any level other than "Ancient Application Compatibility" is laughably insane and should be disregarded.

12. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I could pull a Randy-B on this one, bit I won't.

Anyway, I'd love to see Microsoft (if it happens) try and block Mozilla. I'm sure a group of hackers would get it working soon enough.

13. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC

Why do you say that? I think it just shows that your ignorant. I've had Windows 7, and I had nothing but problems... I reverted to XP and it's the most stable OS i've ever used next to the Mandrake distro of linux I use.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Oh boy... Windows 7 has been the most stable OS ever in my case. When XP was launched, I had to switch to 2000 because it was just so damn unstable and buggy. XP is so far behind Windows 7 in every way that if you really have more problems with it than with XP (which essentially destroys itself over time), you must be doing something wrong.

15. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Sensationalized headlines are one thing, wrong headlines are another.

They're not blocking anyone. If you want to write an application for an ARM platform then you need to write it using the APIs given to you for that platform. This is true of any application, not just Firefox. No one's being blocked--a new API has been created and needs to be used. It's simple.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, anyone who has more issues with W7 is causing those issues themselves, or is just lying, there is a reason most people stopped dual booting years ago.

It's always funny that the people who claim these things happen to have PC's slower than cellphones though lol.

As for this, disappointed the Mozilla guys are resorting to these sort of tactics, even if their browser has been awful for years.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Google does have an OS..... It's just completely useless. You have to buy an approved netbook to get it and it requires an active network connection to function. Google "ChromeOS".... It's a nothing but a modified Linux distro that strictly requires a network connection. Nothing is stored locally. It's a "cloud dependent OS"....

BTW, Mozilla doesn't even support WP7, which supposedly can also be found on tablets.... Given the frequency of "updates", I wouldn't touch either on a tablet....

Also, I second Redemption's post...

The only ones blocking Mozilla and Google....are Mozilla and Google. Basically, Firefox is losing market share and they're looking for a way to regain it. So far, neither Google or Mozilla has released a Firefox version for WP7....and some idiot from Mozilla spoke out against corporate users in regards to their BS rapid update cycle.... Apparently Mozilla is getting desparate now and thinks making claims against MS will bring market share back to them...

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  18. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Seriously, who cares?

I have Windows 7 and I like FF.

I have no intention of using Windows 8 if the Immersive UI (Metro) is not optional, and I have no intention of ever using a Windows phone.

Therefore, in my case this 'issue' is completely irrelevant.

19. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Excellent.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Then why bother posting?