WP7->Android regrets...

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, May 9, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last week I decided to change carriers as I was tired of the same old crap... I ditched Verizon for Sprint. I was having "issues" when connecting to the WiFi at work that the idiots at Verizon immediately dismissed as an "improperly configured network". Their "solution" to my "issue" was to simply use my data plan....which was all of 300mb. So, it was either ditch Verizon for Sprint (unlimited data for $10/month) or pay the extra per month to get a 5GB data plan.....not gonna happen. Well, I decided to give Android another shot since the local Sprint stores don't stock the HTC Arrive (WP7). Decided to go with the Samsung Transform Ultra. There was the mistake.... The Samsung Transform Ultra runs Android 2.4.....the same as my el-cheapo Craig tablet. Thus far, it's even exhibited similar tendencies. It lags, it locks up, it even loses it's network connection (which sucks as it needs that connection to make phone calls)...it irritates the living crap out of me. After 6 days of Android....I seriously miss my WP7 based HTC Trophy.... Between the stable network connection, pre-emptive texting and stable OS....I'm really wondering if I should exchange this phone for the HTC Arrive before next Tuesday....

2. dshramek

dshramek Guest

You should have got a Galaxy Nexus. Best phone on Sprint, or waited for the Evo 4G

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Android 2.4? Android's last version for the 2.x branch was 2.3.7...

You should have gotten something like the HTC Amaze 4G or something. Outside of the regular Samsung Galaxy S line, they suck.

deltatux

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Waiting was not an option as I depend on having internet access at work and with my HTC Trophy not playing nice with the network, I had to pick a phone that was immediately available. I also require that the phone last 10hrs of frequent usage without being charged, which I was told would not be possible with any of the other phones they had in stock save for the iPhone. Oh yeah, and I needed a physical keyboard so the screen/protector doesn't get ruined quite as fast. I've heard oil/grease/chemicals are bad for touch screens =D

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oil/grease/chemicals last check are bad for electronics period :p

deltatux

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Tell that to the people who's cars I keep putting back together!!! They get the crap EVERYWHERE!!! It's a pain trying to keep a cellphone clean.

I actually like my phone. It's quirks are just irritating, as is the short battery life...

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Head over to XDA forums and see if they have any info on your device to have a Custom ROM installed

Thanks to them I am running an ICS ROM on my HD2

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have 7 more days to decide if I'm going to keep the phone. The phone itself is actually pretty well made. Kinda disappointed in Samsung for not updating it further or continueing to sell the phone without giving buyers some sort of notice that it won't receive further updates. We complain about support for other products....yet, cellphones seem to have the shortest support period of any device.

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This is the problem with HTC & always has been, unfortunately that is...

I've had many HTC phones including:

HTC Touch HD
    HTC Hero
    HTC HD2
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Titan II

All were great only battery life could have been better...

Hopefully HTC will improve battery life by increasing it's capacity.

My current Samsung Galaxy Note has a 2500Mah battery which gives me a good 1-2 days of heavy use whereas my previous HTC phones were lucky to last the day.

Even Motorola has a new phone which has a beastly 3300Mah battery which should give it plenty of juice.

Why is HTC struggling to produce a battery with a capacity higher than 2000Mah?

Most of their top high end phones have a tiny battery just having 1600 & 1700Mah...

Apart from battery issues HTC make great & unique phones...

10. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Nokia FTW.

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    First of all the Samsung Transform Ultra is a budget phone, the HTC Arrive is 3 times the price, you're not comparing like for like, you're apparently running a version of android that doesn't exist as well.

12. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ummmm.....I have a Samsung phone. My HTC Trophy lasted anywhere from 2-7 days depending on actual usage. My SAMSUNG Transform Ultra barely lasted 12hrs sitting in my tool box. My old blackberry could survive being used as a cell modem for 8hrs a day and still maintain a 24hr battery life.

Subsidized, they're both $100. Also, the HTC Arrive is not 3x the price of the Transform Ultra...

HTC Arrive: $450
    Transform Ultra: $350

Those are the retail prices through Sprint.

The underlying hardware the 2 phones use is actually pretty similar. Both run on 1GHz Snapdragon processors....the HTC Arrive just has a ****load more memory.

I'm in the US and limited to phones actually offered here and supported by my wireless carrier.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You sure? The battery in the HTC Trophy has a capacity of just 1300 mAh & I'd be surprised you got 2-7 days of standby...

When I say HTC phones are poor for battery I mean generally & not all.

Based on my experience, Sony Ericsson & Nokia are the best for battery life in both standby & normal use.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If you don't like it, don't keep it. I'll be switching to WP8 at some point and hopefully this year. I'm sick and tired of buggy firmwares for Galaxy S. There isn't a single one that actually works nicely. And as a phone (for calling) even Nokia 3310 is better.

Last edited: May 13, 2012

16. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Did Microsoft confirm that they will be upgrading current devices to WP8 ?
    Or is it still under speculation....

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's still speculation. I'm not getting WP phone now since I do want some beefier hardware (and different screen resolution choices) and I'm waiting for LTE models (Lumia 900 isn't going to have LTE here).

18. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I have the Samsung galaxy s2. Still the best phone around imo. Other then the S3 which is too big.

Always check xda forums though or get a custon launcher,lockscreen etc, if you want it to look good.

I'm on ics 4.03, but use custom launcher and custom lookscreen.

Battery life could be better. but

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11288_7-290-2.html?tag=page;page

19. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    What usually drags down battery life is most of the crap carriers install. Pick pretty much any custom ROM and you'll get better battery life because they strip all the crap from the carrier. I'm using ICS 4.0.4 on my Captivate and the only time I have issues with battery life is when I'm not on WiFi, which to be fair has only occurred on this ROM and none of the others I've ever had and I haven't bothered too much to try to actually fix it. Chances are it's just cause reception is **** in my house and the modem for the phone is performing under par so it searches for signal nearly 24/7. That'd kill any phone, including the iPhone because my dad seems to keep his on the charger quite often at home.

If you need a physical keyboard then your choice of good phones is going to be very small in general. I really can't think of any that are supposed to be good as all the ones I know of just use a virtual keyboard.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow, I had actually forgotten all about this thread.

Well, I got the phone to stop locking up. It received an update last Saturday, after which I no longer get internet when inside the building at work. Something weird is going on as even standing in the doorway at work I get no internet but, if I take 1 step outside of the building I get a perfect signal. Coworker said it's probably a corrupt update. I took the phone back to Sprint for them to look at it, and their advice was to remove Avast Mobile Security and Advanced Task Killer because "security software interferes with the functionality of Android"... So, I figured I'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one....

Since articles keep popping up about malware for Android, should I risk running with no security software?? I refuse to use Lookout as quite honestly, they have no real company history and are still a newb company that I don't trust in the least. I've already removed Advanced Task Killer.