GSOD Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by shmuck2006, Apr 28, 2012.

1. shmuck2006

shmuck2006 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 660m
    Works fine on 2D mode with video, but even a second on 3D clocks i'm getting stripes. Is there any solution to this? Have tried to use RBE to set all clocks to 550mhz core and 500mhz mem, no luck. Have replaced thermal grease no change. would really appreciate any suggestions. Have reinstalled windows 7 64bit, no luck. Can't RMA bought the card as a replacement for the dead 8600m gt on ACER Aspire 5920.

2. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a dead GPU :(

Slightly off-topic: I have a 4650 in my own 5920G and that has been running fine but temps have been increasing overall and the whole laptop is in dire need of a complete Thermal Grease overhaul. I installed the 4650 with the thermal pad supplied by mxm-upgrade.net, but since I have no more pads anymore, I was wondering whether there's any downside to using thermal paste instead. Care to give me your usual range of temps before the chip started dying?

EDIT: About the downside, I'm referring to the loss of thermal conductivity due to having a thick layer of thermal paste because the die is thinner than the old 8600M GT...

3. shmuck2006

shmuck2006 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 660m
    When the card was working, no load: ~50degreesC, with load: ~87degreesC, was working well for more than 6 months with copper mod thermal grease for GPU and thermal pads for memory. After the GSODs started I replaced pads with thermal grease; without load temps maybe slightly lower still ~50.

I suspect one of my card's DDR3 modules has failed, shudnt it GSOD on 2D as well?

4. shmuck2006

shmuck2006 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 660m
    Running mobility radeon hd 4650 DDR 3 512mb for acer aspire 5920G; anyone with same model help me get the working vbios? I'd like to try reflashing; thanks

5. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
    A copper mod you say... Hmmm...

EDIT: not necessarily. I have a dead 7600GS. It displays 2D with some mild corruption despite being completely unable to do any 3D. Just depends where on the card it fried.

Grab this. It's a GPU-Z vBIOS dump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgwyu26gsye0vjj/Mobility_HD4650_RV730.bin

You can mod that as well if you want to. I modded it to undervolt to 0.9V (instead of 1.1V) and max fan speed but never flashed :(.

6. Indigo

Indigo Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5870 x 2
    I too have had cards that would do 2D fine but the minute you fired up anything 3D, the video card would puke pixels all over the screen or GSOD on me.

Sucks that it's a Mobility Radeon though. That makes it hard to swap out. :(

7. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
    Not here. All three of us here have the same card in our Acer 5920/5920G laptops from a manual upgrade. Yay removable MXM modules.