AMD Catalyst 12.x (8.97 April 18) Unofficial BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by marthand, Apr 23, 2012.

1. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Complaints

I just want to say that I have both nvidia and Ati multi gpu machines, and consistently its the Ati one that always has some problem. Going back years even to my old 9800 Ati AIW card there was always some thing not working right. For example being able to edit profiles is new trick for ATI. As a gamer I feel that Nvidia caters to gamers and as of late I rarely have an issue installing their drivers. Only reason I feel Ati had the advantage over the years was that their cards were more power efficient than nvidia but those days are over! Long live the King Nvidia!

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    This thread is about a specific driver release for AMD cards, so lets discuss that.

Lets cut the AMD v Nvidia crap, or any other general driver discussion.

3. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Not mine..

Its either the latest logitech setpoint software or latest Game Panel software out that has this problem. Not making this one up!

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If you have nothing useful to add to this thread then do not troll it.

If you are a user who never helps anyone but is just a whiner and a complainer who offers up nothing more then, 'this driver is crap' or 'I'm going nVidia' and never do and just regurgitate the same thing over and over again with no real out look then do not troll.

5. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Not trolling

Sorry I didn't mean to go on a rant and did not intentionally mean to sound like a troll. Though I wasn't the only one who voiced their opinion and you know that saying everyone has one. Just mine wasn't a positive one. Sorry...

Oh about being useful there really is a problem with Logitech software screwing up the install of the driver. Hope that helps someone..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Before Installing Any New Software

The terminology has changed to "process" from program but the basic priciple is still good to follow. Always end all non-window's processes before installing. Then that logitech issue is negated.

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Are you sure that's not z-fighting?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2penuHSGk

8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    what's vsync set to in CCC?

could always try using atioglxx.dll from previous

9. masterchan777

masterchan777 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC
    Let me see :

- 2D/3D clock bug with the 2nd GPU: check
    - Catalyst Control Centre slow startup and random crashes : check
    - Catalyst system tray icon randomly not showing at startup : check
    - Random green screen when playing Flash content in web browsers (including IE9) : check
    - The latest AMD APP add-on (a.k.a AVIVO) isn't compatible with GPGPU transcoding software (e.g. MediaEspresso) : check
    - Choppy WMV-HD video playback with Windows Media Player : check

Verdict : another Catalyst with old unfixed bugs and newly introduced ones, l won't say it's something unexpected from AMD though.

10. psy_parasite

psy_parasite Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950x2 OC
    you realize the Catalyst creator is the only guy amd pays to make drivers... not shocking they are so brutally bad and buggy. maybe amd should try to open source the drivers out to public, cant be much worse then current state. you wait month after month for decent release.. and its always same old story.

11. jtcodeman

jtcodeman Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970
    Thanks, I put the atioglxx.dll from the 12.4 WHQL driver in the RAGE folder and it went back to 60 FPS. I had VSYNC set to off unless application specifies in CCC. The weird thing is that VSYNC isn't supposed to switch to "off" in RAGE if you alt-tab with 12.4 WHQL (if you check the release notes, it's supposed to be fixed).. but when I use those drivers, it still switches VSYNC to off whenever I alt-tab. However, it's fixed with the beta drivers.. but capped at 30 FPS lol.

12. link626

link626 Member

GPU:
    amd 6650m, nvda gtx660m
    AMD must be so broke that they can't hire any new programmers.

every beta and whql comes out with new bugs, and even breaks previously working function here and there.

for some reason, CCC does not show the switchable graphics menu when I open as regular user. It shows it only when i open as administrator.
    all previous CCC versions worked fine for regular user.

i had to revert to whql CCC.

[​IMG]

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I get all that even worse with the official 12.4 drivers. Especially being stuck in 3D clocks, that's permanent on the 12.4 drivers, on these betas they sometimes go back down to 2D clocks (always after setting it to sleep). As buggy as these drivers are they're actually the best drivers I've tried so far for an HD 6900.
    Jesus Christ! :3eyes: I thought he was just the team leader and that they had a group working on it, this explains a lot.

14. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Are you saying AMD has only 1 (One) guy who develops drivers?

15. link626

link626 Member

GPU:
    amd 6650m, nvda gtx660m

how do you set card to sleep ?

16. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Wow!

Only one? Wow!

17. SexPartay

SexPartay Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6990 & HD 6970 CFX
    Seriously having some troubles.

Wiped my 12.3 WHQL drivers yesterday morning and installed these, worked great. Best AMD driver since BF3 beta released.

Then bought a new SSD boot drive, clean install of windows and installed these beta 8.97 drivers. Installed fine but MSI stated CCC was 11.5 and other programs were saying conflicting info on the driver and CCC version also. BF3 (only game I play) didn't start.

Cleaned windows and tried 12.4 WHQL. Didn't install CCC at all. Tried several times to clean windows with driver sweeper, atiman, cccleaner then re-install 12.4 WHQL or these beta drivers and no luck. Installed CCC manually, didn't work. Tried 12.3 WHQL didn't work.

Formatted and re-installed windows and tried 12.4 WHQL and same thing happened. CCC didn't install. Tried a few more times with no luck. Got it to open once but clocks were broken at the minimum allowed setting. Couldn't change them.

Formatted and re-installed windows again and tried 12.3 WHQL. Driver seems to be working.

But I want to use the 8.97 beta driver. It's the only driver that while above 60FPS actually feels like 60FPS. With 12.3 previously 100FPS in BF3 felt choppy like 30-40FPS and when I'm never dropping below 80FPS I shouldn't be feeling that.

Should I install it over 12.3 WHQL, just un-install it, clean windows of all AMD drivers, or just install the 8.97 driver and leave 12.3 WHQL CCC?

I've tried so many things and now something is working again I don't want to **** it up.

Intel i7 2700k @ 5000mhz
    ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
    Corsair Vengence RAM 4GB x2 @ 1600mhz
    Powercolor AMD HD 6990 and Sapphire HD 6970 Tri-CrossfireX
    Sound Blaster XFI Titanium Fatality Champion Series
    Corsair Force 3 SSD
    Windows 7 64bit

Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Could having MSI afterburner installed have been effecting the drivers? Because I haven't installed it and overclocked my cards yet, I'm just brain storming...

:bang:

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I meant the entire computer, sleep mode. If I set it to default clocks and put the computer to sleep then wake it, it can auto adjust between 2D and 3D clocks again... sometimes. It's really buggy.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Not having it installed, but having it run while uninstalling or installing drivers is known to have some issues. It can mess up 3D clocks. I had this issue when installing drivers, my clocks were stuck in 2d mode constantly, even in games.

So I had to uninstall all my AMD/ATI drivers. run Driver Sweeper, reboot. CLOSE Afterburner, Install new driver. All was fine after that.

20. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    are people retarded? obviously there's more than 1 employee, in fact 'the same amount' that work on hardware work on drivers, period

go open the amd job board & look at how many locations there are (boston i assume is for xbox stuff, florida, cali, shanghai, india)

i mean gee, even creative with its team cant manage stable vista/7 drivers for months/years & all they have to make is a soundcard, not optimizations per specific games & engines