AMD forced to cut prices as Ivy Bridge arrives

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

X-bit Labs shared some more details about AMD's price cuts since the arrival of Intel's Ivy Bridge lineup. The AMD FX-8150 is now available for $215 down from $245 while the FX-6200 fell from $165 to...

More...

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nice price cuts.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I see the i5 2500K on sale at $200 left and right now that IB is out. Slap on a decent cooler and OC it to 5GHz, call it a day.

4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    More likely around 4.4Ghz with a decent air cooler for 24/7. Maybe 4.6.

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    which is seemingly what you can do with IB and get better performance.
    But anyway. Still can't buy IB... WTF!!

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The price cuts are way, way over due. They should have been forced to cut prices to be competitive with SB.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    But weren't. Why? Because not only gamers buy them. If you've got a heavily threaded workload, and don't know or care about power, it's a capable processor.

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Unfortunately you'd also have to add 'and have a very specific budget constraint interval'.

The only performance benchmark, multi-threaded or not, I'd seen Bulldozer overtake SNB in is the hashing algorithm test used here on Guru3D.

It's capable I grant you, but then any processor on the market today is, though I wouldn't buy it myself or even recommend it for any particular build.

It's AMD's curse that it isn't enough for them to offer competitive alternatives (though I'd argue Bulldozer isn't quite that) but rather that they have to offer something significantly better.

As things stand right now I'm rather worried about the state of the CPU development, moving forward. I hope the Intel vs. ARM race can heat up a bit more so the players don't get complacent.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    In Cinebench is puts itself between the i5 and i7. Along with other benchmarks.

Anand actually paints a different story for Bulldozer

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/7

Of course, you go to the next page's gaming benchmarks and it just gets thrashed.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    But, but, AMD is best value, didn't you hear?

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    AMD WAS good on value until BD came out and did horrid with IPC while failing at high clocks, sucking tons of juice, and being rather warm.

Even if BD came out and was the same speed clock for clock as PII was, while consuming less power while being on 32nm rather than 45nm, it could have still be considered a success in the value department. But it brought the worst of every category into it, it will take a few revisions for AMD to clean up BD and I'm saying this as someone who prefers to use AMD.

12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Yeah, I just don't find that particularly good considering.
    I initially ran through an FX-8150 vs. 2600K comparison in Anand's bench, which ended up being rather depressing. :(

The FX-8150 vs. 2500K comparison is less one-sided but I still struggle to find a scenario where I'd recommend the former over the latter.

I suppose AMD could see those though, or they might well have pushed the FX pricing lower to begin with.

There are specific scenarios though, like if you only do software rendering, can't find an additional 100 USD for a 2600K and don't consider a 30-50% increase in single-threaded performance worth the trade-off of 5-15% in multi-threaded performance.

That's kinda the point I were trying to make, it's just a very narrow set of qualifiers.

Still, I hope AMD makes enough from the chips to keep R&D going.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

This also puts into perspective all the comments about AMD buying ATI being a bad decision for AMD, though I personally didn't like the acquisition either but imagine where they would be if they didn't have the APU business to fall back on.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yea no joke. Probably would have filed bankruptcy and then their assets sold off to Intel, IBM, and VIA.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    IMO the only reason bd did reasonably well in synthetic benches was because the 2500k only has 4 threads. Some of those tests liked more than 4 threads that 2500k has to offer. Yet the 2500k did surprisingly well with only 4 threads. With both nvidia and Intel forcing pricecuts from amd in both gpu and CPU kinda puts them in a precarious situation.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I pushed this Nehalem to almost 4.4GHz (4356MHz, 198x22) on air, Prime 95 and Linx stable. I see people with 2500K and 2600Ks left and right with their CPUs clocked between 4.8 and 5GHz on this website alone, if you're having such a hard time you should consider a different cooler. Or do they really range that much between batches? I don't really keep track of such things unless I'm interested in purchasing one.