GTX 680 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by qwwwizx, Apr 21, 2012.

1. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    Precision X 3.0.2 has a bug, overclocking settings are not saved propely, you can find a fix here:

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1547457

or alternatively can use MSI Afterburner.

2. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    juke, if you do not overclock memory, and set fanspeed of your custom cooler high, so as to keep temp around 60c or less, and set power target to max,

what then is your best factory oc + oc + boost gpu mhz?

where the f*** r u?? get some room fans or aircon going :cry:

3. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Yup, I' already used the fix with v3.0.2. Another way around is to use v3.0.1, but the result is the same. As for AB, I haven't been able to use it yet. It gives an error message and I can't use it before it updates itself from MSI server, which is the error itself. So please, if anyone could just share their zipped/rarred Afterburner installation folder, I will be grateful.

I'm in the Philippines, it's a hot summer here day and night. I have my 2x 0.60A 120m fans at 100% all the time, all my case's fans are 100% all the time. My room's door is right across the window which faces West, and my room doesn't have any window, the only air passage is through the door. And no place to mount an aircon since every wall is occupied. :bang:

[​IMG]

This is my idle temp at night. So far, the max temp I've seen on my core is just 68C with benchmark softwares, but this is just occasionally. It often just hover around 63C. I'm not just sure if the back pcb's temps are the same because they are very warm to the touch.

[​IMG]

The stock boost reaches 1188MHz.

4. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    If you set power target to max and leave memory untouched, what's your highest oc+boost then?

5. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    @RedPyramid

[​IMG]

6. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You might be hitting the limits of your PSU. It's a good one, but not really high end. Overclocking will put extra stress on it. Are you OCing your CPU as well? If yes, put your cou and voltage back to stock, unhook everything non-essential (dvd/extra fans, etc) and try again. If you can oc your gpu higher, then you know it's probaly your psu.

7. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    Non-reference 680s so far are like a sick f***ing joke. A factory overclocked 680 with 8-pin connector, 50% more pwm phases and a custom cooler - and its max oc+boost is 1189?? What's the point of the extra features? I've seen many reference cards with 4-phase pwm, 2 6-pins and regular cooler go 100mhz above that (oc+boost).

The real issue? Locked max voltage on all reference and non-reference boards.

8. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO
    I checked the psu plugs, to see if the were seated correctly, and they were fine. My PSU is an Enermax MaxRevo 1500W Gold, and I am on single GPU, 2600K, with a single SSD, No DVD/CDR, SATA disk etc. So I should be covered psu wise.

What I see when I run default clocks, is that the GPU will use 1.164v - 1.175 (boost to 1.084mhz) when running battlefield 3. I think 1.175v is maximum on the GTX 680, so from there I have no headroom overclocking it further.

9. Crazy Chuckster

Crazy Chuckster New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 SLI
    Why are the power targets different among cards? In the above shot the power target is 140% with room to go. My EVGA reference had a power target max or 132% and I have a Gigabyte OC model with a target of 111%?

What gives?

10. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    I have a doubt.
    My Gainward GTX 680, leaving the voltage @ stock, can only go up to +120 MHz core.
    Increasing the voltage, I can achieve GPU clock offset to +450 MHz and Mem clock offset to 600 MHz.

Both with no hangs in 3dmark11.

But I cant see no performance difference at all in benchs or games. And the MAX core speed I see is 1110 MHz.

Why there's no difference in performance? And why never gives more than 1110 MHz core boost?

Edit:
    Nevermind, I flashed the BIOS with the EVGA SC version and clocks have rised like mad by just pushing power target to 132%.
    Before: 9870 (Graphics Score) in 3dmark11
    After: 10492 (Graphics Score) in 3dmark11

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

11. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    It's not the psu. My rig with the i5-760 when overclocked to 4GHz plus this GTX 680 consumes only ~450W at max. At stock clock with this card, they only consume ~380W max. I know this because I have Zalman MFC2 which measures my rig's real-time power usage.

Yesterday, I tried to OC the mems, they could hit 1800MHz with no problem. And it seems the problem with the core oc is really the temp management of Kepler. But I'm not sure yet, but my basis are the kepler review sites.

12. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    I´m a little confused, first of all I don´t know how you raised the voltage because all GTX 680´s at the moment are limited to 1.175, and if all you were seeing is 1,110 GHz core then you weren´t overclocking, that´s probably stock turbo overclock.

Also, how did you change the bios, I thought they were digitally signed or something and that wasn´t possible (I´m talking about Bios mods for more voltage).

13. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO
    I think you do something wrong when you overclock, so that the clocks doesnt get set or stick.

My best shot with my GTX 680 was this, and it was pure luck it went through. The overclock on the GPU was only 64Mhz, and it was with loads of artifacts and ugly coloured lights. Normally I had limits around 50MHz overclock.

[​IMG]

I sold the card, in pure dissapointment over the limited possibility to change voltage. Now I wait/hope for something better coming, eventually something that isnt reference.

If it had been possible to load in some more voltage, I would have bought a waterblock and given it a good chance to prove it self, but this is just crap.

14. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    Yes I understand, please continue :eyes: :rolleyes:

NiBiTor (Nvidia Bios Editor)
    http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...view/id,62683/catid,10/limit,10/limitstart,0/
    read each page

GTX 680 Bioses:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...ufacturer=&model=GTX+680&interface=&memSize=0

You aint kiddin

15. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE

16. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Wow! No wonder you had so many artifacts a 670mhz mem overclock is not typical on reference cards. Most max out around 500mhz if not before.

17. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
  18. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7900GRE
    Did you honestly sell the GPU because you did'nt get a good overclock on the card?:bang::bang::bang:

Yes it does. I have anoher 4GB stick of corsair ram , but the two sticks of ram wont play nice with each other so I am using three dims instead. When I upgrade to Z77 I will buy a proper 8GB kit.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  19. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO

20. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    Got my EVGA GTX 680 Hydrocopper yesterday.. installed it and had a quick bench with first OC attempts

->

Maxing out at 1215MHz Boost + 30/40 Mhz already...

Memory can be pushed to 500 Mhz + without Issue

Temps are awesome -> couldn't reach 40° yet

Voltage increases itself at Boost to 1,175 already.. wondering if 1,21v could give more headroom for oc.. watching BIOS mods and EVGA Precision X updates (rumors that 1,21v will be available)

Benching tonight further, try to take screens... will share BIOS at MKVTech.. stay tuned

[​IMG]