Core i7 3770K & 3750 & review with Z77 DZ77GA-70K mobo review

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Core i7 3770K and 3750 Ivy bridge processors alongside Intel's Z77 DZ77GA-70K motherboard. Will Ivy Bridge be the processor series everything you expected? Performance wise the all new Ivy Bridge series is not going to stun and shock like the Sandy Bridge series did. In fact clock for clock it is all roughly the very same, with a +0.8% performance offset in favor of Ivy Bridge.

However -- with Ivy Bridge comes increased overclockability, the platform comes with native USB 3.0, we get PCIe Gen 3 for the fastest graphics cards and overall just a really fast processor series.

Read the review here.

[​IMG]

2. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    wooohooo on it right away

3. angmar

angmar Guest

quite a few errors and typos in the charts hilbert....i5 is listed as having hyperthreading in your chart...one of the lower power i5s you have listed for price as over 3000 dollars ..just to name a few of the errors..

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Just noticed the price error and have corrected it.

The i5 HT has been corrected as well. Intel was actually responsible for that one, they had it noted down falsely in their RG PDF. See below:

[​IMG]

5. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    been watching some reviews on youtube and it kinda left me dissapointed. The performance over SB is not that significant, voltage is becoming quite a big problem, due to temps just sky-rocketing after certain amount of volts. That makes OC'ing quite a problem as most reviewers say it's really hard to reach 5ghz+. And even if you do temps will be BLOODY HIGH even with water cooling. Smaller size didn't rlly work as temps don't have enough room to be controlled. All in all, new architecture is quite welcome, just it doesn't feel like it's fully finished/polished.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    This ruined everything for me, now i have to look at the core i7 2700k which will oc past 4,6 ghz without reaching 90 degrease for crying out loud.
    So much for Intel engineering..

7. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Im planning to upgrade my i7 2600k 5.0 ghz to IVY Bridge..Gurus, what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

8. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Add to this the likelihood that Ivy Bridge chips will be in short supply even after their release date and it seems more like an exercise in frustration,….

Yeah, I’m still considering a Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3930K or Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600K,……

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    No, it's not worth it.

Intel tried to do too much at one time. The new transistors + new fab process + reduce power + increase iGPU performance....Not really sure what they were thinking trying to meet 4 targets in 1 shot...but obviously even they couldn't handle it. Hopefully Haswell will turn out better.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  10. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    After reading pretty much every review/benchmark on the net i find the Shogun 2 results here pretty interesting. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/04/23/intel-core-i7-3770k-review/7

Since i just got myself an ASRock Z77 i had planned to get an Ivy CPU and i still will, planning to put a 690/6990 in this machine so maybe PCIE3 could come in handy, or maybe not. As i type this the only place i can find selling in Australia (AusPCMarket) is selling a 3770 non k and they have the 3570k.... Im actually considering getting the 3570k as she seems to run a bit cooler (Maybe lack of HyperThreading?) and will perform virtually the same for games. I'd be happy with a ~4.5ghz OC on my Noctua D14.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

hmmmm, its interesting how that review has completely different performance results for using Handbrake than the Guru3D's review. The review on here shows the i5-3570K to be noticeably faster than the i5-2500k (as I pointed out in the other thread), but that review on bit-tech shows the i5-2500K to be fractionally faster...

Maybe bit-tech were using engineering samples or something? bit-tech essentially shows IB to be effectively slower than SB for most things.

12. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    That is interesting. Maybe they are using different ram SPD settings?

Guru used: 2x4096MB DDR3 2666MHz G.Skill Trident X (1600 MHz at default / 2666 XMP mode available)

Bit Tech lists this: 4/6GB (2GB DIMMs) Corsair 1,600MHz DDR3 memory (CL9)
    16GB (4GB DIMMs) G.Skill 2,133MHz DDR3 memory (CL9)

Wonder if that's the reason?

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It would be interesting if it is the RAM doing it, but I doubt it would make that much difference.

If it does, maybe this RAM would be good?
    F3-2400C10D-16GTX

DDR3-2400, 2x8GB modules? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  14. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Not pleased with Intel policy. The CPU die-size is too small to be sold at $300 price tag. At this price it should be twice as big. Profitability all the time. Only a strong AMD can restore things into order :bang:

15. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Bwar! That sounds nice lol. I'm already locked into 1600mhz as i already bought a Z77 board and 32gig ram :)

16. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Max overclock of IB might be a bit disappointing but its overclocking at low voltage and undervolting capabilities seem very promising if you aren't looking to run at 4.6GHz+. AnandTech review stated they could do 4.4GHz at 1.05v and 4.5GHz at 1.1v and got decent temperatures at those speeds. With the very small die size and low TDP I think Intel should be pushing out 6 core chips for that price imo. In 3 and a half years almost since the i7 920 (nov 2008, $284 usd launch price) the performance per $ you get has gone up rather slow. Shame AMD isn't putting pressure on Intel these days.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Pricing has nothing to do with die size. Pricing = cost to manufacture + profit margin.

Cost to manufacture = R&D + Materials + Labor

18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Retails finally posted orders for ivy!

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    How is the 3570k paird with the Asus P8 Z77 Pro motherboard? I just picked them up yesterday. I am coming from an E8400 setup.