How do you clean your monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Anfield82, Apr 19, 2012.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i use this (when the monitor is off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spray it on , then wipe it off (using both sides of the paper)

works great, have been doing this for years. also use that for my Tv.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Zing!! :D

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Here's another great idea;

[​IMG]

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ive been using windex vinegar based forever and it is by far the best way to clean a monitor, be it plastic or glass. But dont use ammonia based windex, will tear the screen up.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Vinegar is an acid and will damage the screen, diluted vinegar less so but still not something you should be using on your screen.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, I said Window cleaner earlier, but was thinking glasses cleaner - the stuff for plastic glass lenses (basically what all glasses have now) that have the antifog etc.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Tissue to clean glass + a can of compressed air to blow out the dust inside.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Like i said, i have been doing it for 10+ years and have had ZERO negative effects from using it, therefore what you are saying is wrong.

Ammonia tears up a screen. Vinegar is a very low acidic on the pH scale. Vinegar is a dilute acetic acid btw.

Also, my dad has been using it for very long time too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I was referring mostly to modern screens. Being relatively higher in pH means that an acid protonates relatively slower, or in simpler terms the damage is more gradual.

10. nafan08

nafan08 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 + 260
    I would go water first in a lint free cloth or get some lens cleaner im sure that would be safe to use but always put it on the cloth not on the screen it also might be wise to use a dry cloth to take of any residue.

11. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Same here. Used in on my dells for over 6 years no issues. Been using it on my $900 32" Bravia monitor for over a year and don't even think twice about it. And I use paper towels, never had any scratches or swirl marks to date.

Matter of fact I'm gonna clean it twice right now just to show you.

See? no marks.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I use a soft cloth that actually came with my Sony Bravia HDTV to clean the dust off the screen but sometimes you get speckles on the screen that won't come off. I try to avoid sneezing or coughing directly in front on my monitor but some drops of moisture still invariably get on the screen.

For those cases I have a monitor cleaning kit which comes with a non-alcoholic spray and disposable cleaning cloths. I just put a little bit on one of the cloths so it's damp not wet and then dab the offending speck, which usually removes it, then let the spot dry naturally (which it does quickly). I avoid actually rubbing if I can as it can leave smear marks if you overdo the spray. I learned this the hard way from my last monitor. If you do get smear marks then get a dry cloth and breathe heavily on the screen to moisten it slightly then quickly wipe it in tiny circular motions until you can no longer see it!

I've had my current 24" HP LP2475w for almost two years now and the screen is still smear-free.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    As am i, obviously it should have zero affect on CRT, ie glass screens, but even so LCDs have been out for 10 years and i have been using it forever. Maybe pure vinegar that you would put on food might do something to screen, but ive seen no evidence that windex based vinegar(which it has a small amount in, anyways) should damage any LCD. cant comment on other cleaners with vinegar.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I have 3 Sony Trinitron CRT monitors, they come with an anti-glare coating on the glass which is very sensitive to harsh cleaners...

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Alright mate, continue as usual :)

16. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Anti glare coating are a whole nother animal. No paper towels or glass cleaner on any coated glass.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Modern screens uses a relatively hardy polymer cover for the actual LCD panel itself. Ammonia will damage it, acetone (and most ketones) will damage it, but not vinegar.

As for the question, I never let it get dirty in the first place. For the occasional sneeze spot I just use isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

18. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i spit on it

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Relieving yourself on it while drunk isnt recommended then?

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    take it to the car wash with you, problem solved:)