GTX 680 Owners Check-In

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xtreme1979, Mar 24, 2012.

1. DinaMoe

DinaMoe Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 580/gtx460 Physx
    Yeah, I'm sorry but I gotta say; you people that express problems like this with your hardware and even new driver installations, I'd be willing to wager that the problem is your fault by allowing your computer to get into a state of, well...sh*t. But what ever. Blame it on something as long as it's not yourselves.

2. Desoxyn

Desoxyn Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 680 2048 MB
    To be frank. This card has to be the best purchase I've done ever when it comes to video cards. The temp. is incredibly low, even with the fan at as low as 40%. When you're roaming at -28c idle on these "used to be hot" cards.

3. 1Bravo

1Bravo Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid
    Checking in :D

I love this card!!! Huge jump from my very good/trusty 5850

Here is the former XFX 5850 and the new 680 :D

[​IMG]

And my new card installed :D
    [​IMG]

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    what

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    if someone reports something like PCI-E 3.0 not working, or Ambient Occlusion is flickering, or AA got broken, or PhysX causing FPS drops - I can digg that.

but crashes, lockups, _INSERT_COLOR screns of death... I just don't buy those

when Nvidia is not able to reproduce a certain "bug" in their labs, I am pretty sure bug-owner will have more luck talking to his RAM, PSU or vacuum cleaner manufacturer :)

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Dude, don't return it. try a different driver, reinstall Heaven 3.0, I had the same issues with it, and doing that fixed it.

7. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    "Why would u return the card because of a couple errors in which you arent necessarily sure its the GPU itself... Might as well wait it out or try to fix it, or sell it to someone make some cash off it... weird move bro "

"Yeah, I'm sorry but I gotta say; you people that express problems like this with your hardware and even new driver installations, I'd be willing to wager that the problem is your fault by allowing your computer to get into a state of, well...sh*t. But what ever. Blame it on something as long as it's not yourselves. "

Yup ahuh.... wait for it......

My buddy is a floor manager at where I got this card. I took it in this morning and he tested it on 3 different test PCs at the store. All 3 test systems with the 680 I just returned had the same issues I found last night. As in, exact.

So yeah.... it must be user error eh? Us people??? LOL I gotta say.... you people who know... it.... all. ;p I decided to hold out for the 4 gig version. Thx for playing. I guess it never occurs to some that it might just be the card? Go figure.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    me I would of upped the voltage 1 step and called it a day. think thats the problem here.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    :eek2:

10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Completely impulse purchase today... I already had one GTX680 which I picked up from Newegg on day one.

But I was over at Microcenter this afternoon, I saw a EVGA GTX680 sitting on the shelf. It had to be mine! :D

Yah SLI GTX680 is all kinds of stupid fast!

11. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Man I was a lucky man yesterday. I've installed an FXAA injector to beef up the graphics in BF3. I've been using MSI Afterburner since I got my 680 to use a custom fan profile and to monitor my fps, temps, clock speeds etc. while gaming. After launching BF3, the graphics indeed looked a lot better but the OSD ingame didn't work. No worries I thought to myself. I'll just download EVGA Precision X and check if the OSD works. So far so good, I've uninstalled afterburner including the profiles and configured Precision with a custom fan profile and the OSD. I fired up BF3 and again the OSD didn't show up. I didn't really pay attention to it and continued gaming. After a minute or so, I heard the fan of my 680 ramp up to 100% (in my fan profile, it goes to 100% as soon as it hits 90°C). I was like "WTH??!!". The game also felt very slow. I immediately closed BF3 and checked the temps.

Turned out that the fan speed never changed. It was locked at 30% while gaming and the GPU hit 98°C :flame: As soon as that happened, the clock speed of the 680 went down to 5xx mhz. I then shutdown my pc and opened up the case to see if the card was damaged and thank god it wasn't. I then installed Afterburner again, configured the custom fan profile and ran some benchmarks (Heaven, 3D Mark 2011, ...) and everything seems fine. The custom fan profile worked and my temps were back to normal again.

My former card (8800gtx reference) always was a very hot card and easily hit between 90 and 100°C under load. After all these years, it still worked without giving artifacts so I can be rest assured that the 680 doesn't get damaged when it goes to 98°C for only a few seconds? I read somewhere that the 680 has a safety mechanism that lowers the clock speeds substantually when the card hits 98°C. I guess that's what happened yesterday.

I have to say, I'm a little dissapointed with EVGA Precision. I've been using it with my 8800gtx without problems and I always double check if I configured everything correctly. Configuring a custom fan profile in Precision is almost the exact same way as configuring one in Afterburner so I'm pretty sure I did it right. Is there anyone else who experienced this?

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    In precisionX you can tick "force fan speed update on each period" under the fan curve in the automatic fan control properties page.

13. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    I did. That's why I find it strange that the fan speed was locked at 30%.

14. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    ok, so maybe its bugged and you should untick it :grin2:
    (I'm not using this option, and haven't had a fan issue)

15. 1Bravo

1Bravo Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid
    Sorry off topic but somehow Precision X OSD doesn't work for me on BF3.

The OSD portion works fine in any other game but I just can't make it work on BF3 :(

Any tips?

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Is BF3 64-bit? If it is, the OSD won't work, and the only way around it is to run the 32-bit executable, as Unwinder said a long time ago he won't be making a 64-bit compatible version anytime soon.

17. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Precision X OSD works for me in BF3. I was thinking maybe it is something to do with AMD drivers.

[​IMG]

18. 1Bravo

1Bravo Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid
    You might be right. I'm using 64-bit

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^So am i works fine
    Just run it in stealth mode should work np

Well i got rid of one of my 680's now bring on some crasy boost clocking non ref board

bf3 is sweet with just one card on 1080p as a matter of fact the other game(ss3) i play runs great too :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Running my 680s at stock (don't have a need to OC yet as nothing dips in performance on my single screen 1080p setup) and it's been rock solid stable... after I fixed my constant red screen of death caused by a couple of old apps launching at login. I'm thinking it may be a while before I get a game that won't run fully maxed with this setup.