NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DeusEXMachina, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well i wasnt gaming, surfing the net and bang everything went pink and couldnt ctrl alt delete nothing.

and it's only happened on this driver set. never ever seen anything like it on any gpu and this pc has crashed around 3 times maybe since i built it.

2. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    anyone know why in nvidia control panel shows 2 driver versions

ie nvGameS.dll 6.14.13.0124
    and nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.9617

i uninstalled previous drivers 295.73 and then installed 301.24
    what does the "R" stand for?

this doesnt seem to affect gameplay though

3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    No problem here with Skyrim, actually runs better than 301.10 did for me. Loving the Adaptive VSync with this game, for the most part the game runs at 60fps but get occasional dips below which are hardly noticed. Granted I'm on a GTX680 so maybe these aren't well optimized for the older cards yet?

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    unlike ATI, if you buy an nvidia card you can update the drivers on top of the old ones without any problem.

however it is best to uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones, Driversweeper is not required (unless you got a problem).

anyway all you have to do is, go to W7 control panel, uninstall drivers, reboot, install new drivers, reboot that's it. simple.

i own a Gtx480 and that wasn't the case for me, they claim driver improvements but i got none, i even lost 10 fps in most games with the 290.xx series drivers, even after a fresh W7 installation, big pile of steaming crap ever for my card.

if i reinstall the 285.79 drivers (or earlier drivers) i get excellent performance in all games.

the bottom line is that while cards share the architecture, the optimizations don't work equally on all cards, the 460 will get the boost, the 470/480 might not. etc. etc. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The Clean Install option under the Custom Install option in the Installer will uninstall the old drivers. I usually use and everything has worked out fine!

6. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Same pink screen in Windows 8 actually with newest windows 8 drivers :(

Been trying to work out what the problem is and nothing :bang:

Are you by any chance using windows 8?

regards,
    RagDoll.

7. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Great drivers so far. Skyrim with half-rate adaptive vsync (120hz monitor) runs silky smooth at 60fps indoors and 50-60fps in most outdoor areas. When the fps drops below 50 the mouse look is still jerky. 4xMSAA + Nvidia FXAA looks awesome.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    yes that too is great, although i had a few instances where the custom install didn't clean things properly and sometimes the installer failed to install PhysX too.

that's why i usually go for the manual uninstallation and installation of the drivers.

when it comes to installing the drivers i unpack the executable in a folder, delete the Optimus and 3d vision folders (i don't need them), then go to the device manager and update the standard Vga by pointing to the drivers folder, reboot, done.

hehe the good old fashioned way just to be safe, never had a problem, i like installers but i don't fully trust them. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thx everyone, I'll just do what I used to :)

10. samtroy

samtroy Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 Ti 3GB
    No, I didn't. And of course you guys are right. I'm upgrading my PSU as we speak. Really forgot about that in the past since I never had any problem.

But why is it that the 300.83 driver fixes all my stuttering problems?

And why exist two big threads in this and NVidia's forum where different people report exactly the same stuttering problem with the 301.xx drivers?

:3eyes:

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It may not be the cause of your issue, but its worth testing.
    More than one issue can cause the same problem.
    Perhaps some others have power issues too.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    working good here watch videos with vlc, netflix, 3 hours alien breed-impact, assault, 2 hours GTA IV

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I just started reading about this now. I personally have not experienced this with 301.10. Played both RAGE and Skyrim yesterday silky buttery smooth. The only game which isn't smooth would be BF3 (High + 4xAA or Ultra + 4xAA). I notice on my MSI AB fps graph that the fps jumps around 57-60 instead of constant 60 that I would hope. It's worse on B2K maps (45-60). High or Ultra does not seem to impact my FPS at all, or at least very little.

14. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I understand what you are saying, but my problem was (and still is) with your earlier statement that using adaptive vsync (or no vsysnc, for that matter) will cause tearing when #FPS is below the refresh rate.

15. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Finally something new!

Installed and working fine, nice to see a JC2 boost for SLI! ..
    For me 120Hz Vsync'd with Tripple buff is smooth sailing in most games. (No need for the Adaptive crap ..) ! w00t

16. Don1376

Don1376 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 FTW
    I have always just installed new drivers over top of current drivers and have never had a problem. I don't like using Nvidia's clean install option as it deletes all my custom game profiles. I'll do a "clean install" about every 4th driver upgrade or if I'm going back to a older driver then the current one installed. I would definitly do clean install if I were changing to ATI, but that will never happen.

Not saying my way is correct way or that doing "clean install" is wrong way. You can never go wrong by doing a "clean install" every time. Just in my many years of driver installs, installing over top versus clean install has never show to give any improvments nor has it gave me any problems. I usually do a fresh OS install once a year and keep up with maintance on windows. (registry clean, defrag, disc cleanup, etc.)

Just my 2 cents, not against clean installs, I've just never found the extra time and restarts needed to do it with each and every driver upgrade worth doing unless have some kind of problems with current installed drivers or switching GPU brands. (Nvidia to ATI). Nor have I noticed any performance improvements 1 way or the other.

Back on topic, these are still great drivers for me and no PSOD's so far.

17. pasanen

pasanen Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 980
    Ok, here's another one for the Pink Screen thing. First time I'm seeing it. Upgraded from 296.10. Alt+tabbed away from Kingdoms of Amalur and bam! Screen froze with pink dots all over it. After a few seconds the drivers reset themselves and I resumed my game normally.

Too bad. I'm really liking this adaptive vsync. Hopefully nvidia is able to push out stable WHQL quickly.

18. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    If you know how to maintain your system you cant go wrong.... (well almost cant go wrong:p). I used to do a fresh install once a year but since i got my Crucial M4 and before that the OCZ Vertex Pro its smooth sailing these's drives are sooo fast no need anymore!

And i always clean my drivers in safemode via regclean etc and do a ''clean install'' i like setting up profile's just because i know i can get the most out of them, its a pain i know.

19. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Q. Is this new FXAA in nvcp a newer form of AA? Does it blurr everything out when using it like it does when using the in game FXAA setting in Skyrim?

Does FXAA work in games like gta4? Are you guys keeping FXAA on in nvcp for all games?

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yes the in-driver FXAA is newer variant compared to what is built-in a lot of games. It definitely provides a little better image quality compared to what is built in on Skyrim.

It will blur the image slightly as all these post processing AA options are shaders that blur the image using an Edge Detect algorithm.

The in-driver FXAA doesn't capture in screenshots otherwise I'd do a screenshot comparison. :(