Battlefield 3 CrossFire Tweaks

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ipredator, Apr 8, 2012.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Surely the game runs in DX11 anyway so no point in putting that in a cfg? Just checking.

I use VSync as I cant stand tearing. What should I do with triple buffer?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    It should, though its auto-detected and with those screwed drivers nowadays I'd like to make sure its Dx11 100%.

Tripple-Buffering (the real one, not BF3's inbuilt fake TB) does not require Vsync. It has the benefits from Vsync though, like no screen tearing and smoothed out performance without locking the FPS at 60 and without the mouse-lag.
    To enable it check my first post.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Strange you guys are having issues. I just use Vsync in game and Crossfire is fine with BF3.

Using Cat 12.4 OpenCL 1.2 Beta's.

I have Vsync set to "Off, unless application specifies". in CCC.

4. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Also strange that you can bear the mouse lag.

5. Simkin84

Simkin84 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
    I use vsync, and have NO mouselag, but i have 120Hz.

So far, no tweak have helped me getting a smoother experience with BF3.. as i said, its not lag, but turning around ingame with my mouse, results in a unsmooth movement, not stuttering or lag, just unsmooth. if i watch the minimap ingame, i can clearly see the unsmooth movement, so something is not right..

What i have tried is:

Turning off HT
    Trippel Buffering
    Flip Queue Size = 0
    RenderAheadLimit
    Turning off Aero
    Gametime.MaxvariableFps
    Using MSI OSD to lock my FPS
    Reinstall windows twice
    Tried every driver since launch

I also have lag in CS Source, (using just one card for CS:S), which i didnt have with my 4870X2.. the 4870X2 was BUTTER SMOOTH, my 7970 is not..

My conclusion is, that the drivers, atleast for the 7 series, have a long way to go.. or in other words, its crap.

6. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    This is exactly what this thread is about to fix.
    I've another idea. Did you change the Network Interpolation settings in "Gameplay" in BF3's options? Set it to full right (full black bar) and see if anything changes.
    I'm not surprised that you get no mouse lag nor smoother performance with your Vsync Simkin, as multiple users reported that Vsync is simply not working with the 7k series under certain drivers.
    Have you tried keeping D3DOverriders "force Vsync" on? Not sure if the program's vsync can replace a broken driver vsync issue though.

Edit: I share your conclusion btw.

7. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    reading this thread made me retry battlefield 3..and now im getting the weird stuttering as well..(both gpu 99%, fps in 80s, dont go below 60..all ultra msaa 2x)..which i did not back when the game came out..i think i used 11.12 back then..right now im using the official 12.3

8. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Dudes all I can say is keep your fingers from the 12.3 WHQL, it brings more bugs than fixes (only skyrim for some) Just use a new official beta or something, I can really suggest using the 8.95.05 and NOT the 12.3 WHQL lol

Edit: If you turn vsync on, does the game get smoother? If yes, apply my fixes, if no, its a driver related failure. Because if vsync does not smoothe out the game, Tripple buffering won't either. And Vsync is broken (I think I just said this the third time) for many 7k series user and 12.3 whql user in both CCC and games

9. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    Here are my settings... I play across 3x24" monitor Eyefinity at 5760x1080 on a 6990 using 12.3 (8.951.0 March 8) Official WHQL and 12.3 CAP1. Get 50-80 FPS in game (usually around 65fps stable) and it is very smooth. I experimented with this for a LONG time to finally get it smooth without microstutter. This does not involve turning off the pagefile or hyperthreading, which is inane for people who use their computers for things other than BF3:

(1) Make a custom CCC profile for BF3.exe using: these settings

(2) Make a user.cfg file in the Battlefield 3 directory with these settings:

RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
    RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
    WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
    WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
    PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0

(3) You can easily disable aero by running this batch file before playing BF3 and then run it again to re-enable aero after you're finished playing: AeroKiller

(4) I play with these settings in-game. I had to turn some stuff off/down because of the high resolution (5760x1080). You can probably increase it if you only play on a single monitor: BF3 In-game settings

Hopefully that helps. It took a long time for me to find the perfect settings, and these seem to work great.

10. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Definately worth a try! Why would turning off HyperThreading be "insane" though, no other game makes use of it either (except of 1 or 2), it just slows down your performance a bit + inflicts microstuttering. I only found it useful for encoding videos (and that only if you have an AMD card, since every Ndivia user would encode videos through his GPU).
    Why would you use render.DrawFps 0 and PerfOverlayEnable 0 in a user.cfg, "0" is the default value anyway.

Do you have to re-enable aero yourself? Otherwise this could be really useful, but for more comfort I would still suggest Gamebooster's design disable option since you only have to hit "Back" and everything's fine again.

Thanks for sharing your configuration, I bet it appeals other 6990 users too! I will include the killaero batch file in the first post as an alternative for Gamebooster.
    I know that if its smooth once, you wouldn't want to mess with it, but have you previously tried forcing real triple-buffering?

11. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    inane not "insane" though that word was probably too harsh :) Anyway, I just assumed that a lot of users do more than just play games on their system, and HT has real world benefits in areas other than video encoding, especially in well-threaded applications. Either way, HT off could be a good fix for some I suppose; though I have no issues on my i7 with HT on and I hate paying for decent processor features that I don't use, when I could have just bought a proc without HT :)

Yeah, this is just an oversight on my part. I used to have both of those settings at "1" but I've since changed them to 0 and never bothered removing those lines from the user.cfg.

With the .bat file, you just make a shortcut to it on your desktop and before you launch BF3 you double-click it to disable Aero. You have to run the .bat again when you quit BF3, at which point the .bat will detect if Aero is currently disabled and if so it will re-enable it. So yeah, you have to run the batch file twice. You can even go into the shortcut properties and make it so the black cmd.exe window does not pop up on your screen when running the .bat. Or you can do what I've done and simply make a keyboard shortcut (i.e.: CTRL+ALT+A) to enable/disable Aero :)

I've tried forcing it in BF3 using RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1 but it was choppy on my system. I have it enabled in the custom CCC profile, but I'm not sure if that just applies to OGL-based applications. I haven't tried forcing it with D3DO, but I will shortly

12. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Haha yeah thats the sad part, but I have no problem turning it off for gaming and on again when I use a software that actually profits from HT :) So we have your money at least 50% well spent :nerd:

Great, will try that now!
    *Edit: Wow, simple as can be. I'll put this as the primary step 5.

As I linked in the first post, BF3 does not use real Tripple Buffering, check out my linked article if you want to read further into it. In short, most DirectX applications use a fake TrippleBuffering, and it can only be forced via D3DOverrider or formerly RadeonPro which sadly seems to work less and less due to new catalyst drivers.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I have no mouse lag at all. I configure my G9 in setpoint and it plays perfectly fine. Hope your issue gets solved.

14. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Ghost, mouse lag under vsync is a global issue unless you limit the FPS 1 frame under your monitors refresh rate or never achieve the FPS anyway.
    Edit: Use the console command "Gametime.Maxvariablefps 59" if you have a 60 hz monitor or ... 119 and you'll see the diffrence in having reduced mouse lag.
    Edit 2: Just noticed that you've 7970s, you sure Vsync is even working for you? Many 7k series user reported broken vsync with newer drivers. Would explain why you experience no mouse lag.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  15. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Not quiet true if you have a 120hz monitor. I don't see or feel ANY lag and I would notice as I am picky with such things. :nerd:

16. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Well, do you achieve a constant 120+ FPS?

17. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
  18. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    I'm asking because if its around 100-120, there is a reduced mouse lag, you only really feel it if its locked at 120. Same counts for 60hz monitors, if vsync locks your fps at 60 you really suffer from the mouse lag, but if you cap the framerate yourself at 59 its very reduced

19. xtom21

xtom21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RADEON HD 6970
    which drivers give you the highest fps so far? im using 12.1 should i get the 12.4 drivers?

20. bouuman

bouuman Guest

GPU:
    6650m + 6620G
    8.97 April 18 Drivers works very fine, you should get them. Look also Benchmarks, its the best one at the moment

Last edited: May 15, 2012