Msaa, csaa, fxaa, smaa, sg-ssaa? Wtf!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gpvecchi, Mar 29, 2012.

1. evil_religion

evil_religion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
  2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Not really although I suppose there may be some HDR-related cases where that would be true. Generally 4x SGMSAA = 4x SGSSAA for polygon edges.

3. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I just enabled 2xSGSSAA with 8xQ MSAA on LA Noire. Huge difference in IQ. (Drop of 5-10 fps, even more with 4xSGSSAA). Looks great but obviously 4xMSAA+SMAA is going to give me better performance but it will be a little blurrier (I use it for Skyrim).

4. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    How do I enable SGSSAA with nvidia inspector? All I see is 1x2 SSAA, 2x1, etc. I'm playing source engine games.

5. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Under "Antialiasing - Transparancy Supersampling" you should have options for 2x, 4x & 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling.

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    You obviously havent seen the new MLAA 2.0, better than FXAA
    See this

Been testing it in BF3 & its great. Less fps hit than SMAA (3-4fps vs 6-8fps), IQ almost on par (SMAA still a tad better), no blurring
    I love it now.

For me im find running x4MSAA with Adaptive (Transparency) enabled, combined with either SMAA or MLAA 2.0.
    = great IQ & no blurring.

7. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Noob question: Is there a webpage that can actually tells you the differences of all these AA modes?

8. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    I'm confused. Why is SGSSAA under Transparancy Antialiasing? Reading responses, it sounds like SGSSAA cleans up everything (full scene), not just alpha blended textures.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Have a look heremate

Pretty good guide by TH done last year and pretty much still current

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Depends on the game, and MLAA is ATI/AMD only.

Top Quality is still Full Screen Super Sampled AA, everything else is a cheaper AA method.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    MLAA 2.0 is the same as MLAA 1.0 quality wise and as for comparing it to FXAA anyone who's interested can do this themselves in DXHR. I prefer FXAA quality.

Every post-AA solution have blurring because that's the essence of post-AA. Also every post-AA solution have settings which allows to get "less blur/less AA" or "more blur/more AA".

12. Blood487

Blood487 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Direct CUII 580(SLI)
    SGSAA is (personally) one of the best AA methods.

Unfortunately the FPS is quit daunting if set past 2x

It does however induce bluring but if you have the GPU power, definitely set SGSAA.

13. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Guest

GPU:
    MSI SuprimX 4090
    Seemed to have fixed my issue without format. I ran the un-installer from control panel then re-booted twice. I have to cards and it must be retaining something from the 2nd. Weird, however that's the only thing I did differently and now 301.10 are working for me as before. Phew.. !!!

14. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    After reading all this I decided to start using MSAA + SGSAA as a couple, forcing MSAA 2x(4x)(8x) with SGSAA 2x(4x)(8x) thx to inspector, also adjusting LOD bias.

Question is, when it goes to x8, should I pair SGSAA 8x with AA 8x (CSAA it says) or AA 8xQ (MSAA it seems)? I use 8xQ so far.

I really didn't like the FXAA. The blurring is shocking imo, it removes all details from the screen so it looks like PS2 haha. But yea, I confirm, SGSAA actually adds some blur, but just a few.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    But you like SGSSAA blur because you read that it's high-end, while FXAA is a ghetto solution, is that it?
    This is from Mr. AA himself - T. Lottes:

Anti-aliasing is always a trade off with sharpness, even when done correctly by super-sampling and a proper down-sampling filter.

Not to mention that SGSSAA with improper/non existant AA bits may clash with post-processing, resulting in additional blur.

Now tell me where do you see this PS2 blur?
    http://atomhard.99k.org/pub/AA/Test/Skyrim-noAAvsFXAA2.html

Nothing but FXAA is used

16. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm in the same boat as the O.P. here, a big wtf over all the letters n such. After reading the thread, well... it could be the medication.

[​IMG]

17. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Hi Noisiv, plz don't get me wrong. The PS2 thingy was a bit sarcastic I agree.
    Tbh I would have welcomed FXAA if I wasn't killing my eyes on the title I tried. I don't rely on company screenshots but I can tell you that in Mass Effect 3, the difference is huge on my 46" screen. On Skyrim indeed I tried to combine FXAA with MSAA and it looks good and cheap, but SGSSAA is definitely sharper but much heavier.

And wait, I just bought myself a new 680 GTX right? So let's go :) Imo FXAA is a good solution for low/mid rigs (I actually use it on my laptop 9800 GTS 17" with low def 1440x900 and I love it) but when you're running a high end rig you want all the eye candies you can get, and SGSSAA so far is the winner. But I may be wrong heh, I discovered SGSSAA one week ago lol

Regards

18. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    with you there Noisiv - some people talk about fxaa as if it's like looking through frosted glass. just don't see it myself - what i do see is great anti-aliasing (better than MSAA in some ways) with almost zero performance hit.

replaying the Bioshock's at the mo - they looking amazing with fxaa enabled.
    tip for those who get a sudden urge to replay these games - tweak the ini's to disable the built-in software AA and texture filtering (UseSoftwareAntiAliasing= and LevelOfAnisotropy= in Bioshock2SP.ini), then force/set as many quality options as possible in the NVCP.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  19. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  20. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012