Msaa, csaa, fxaa, smaa, sg-ssaa? Wtf!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gpvecchi, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    Sorry, but I now don't understand anything (again)...
    Which one is the best AA for quality and how to apply it (or them)?
    I now use CSAA 32x (via control panel)
    FXAA enabled (via control panel)
    SG_SSAA 8x (via nVidia inject tool)

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Fsaa :d

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Depends on the game, but generally stay away from 32xCSAA.
    If you have that much GPU grunt, use something better.

Read this

4. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    Why do you want to complicate things? Set it at 8x (non-CSAA), also try 16x; enable transparency AA in supported games (multisample or supersample, whichever one you think is good enough), be a happy gamer.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    SG SSTrAA for IQ, FXAA is good on straight edges.

Nvidia Inspector is awesome, I really miss that proggy

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

16x anistropy should be required default, both for drivers and for games, at least with 'high' and 'ultra' settings etc, seeing as it has minimal impact on performance.

I should point out I know the question was about antialiasing not anistropy, its just an observation :)

A thread with a few posts just about different antialiasing settings and quality vs performance hit, for both Nvidia and AMD, thats stickied and locked (with a link to a thread for discussion) would be brilliant, as long as its updated as required. Existing threads about antialiasing become dated, so if a thread were made updating it is important.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    The AA settings you're going to apply for the "best" image quality will vary from game to game. It's really nothing more than trial and error based off of what works best with the engine, and what meets your preferences in image quality.

Personally, I prefer 8xSQ + 2xSGSSAA + FXAA, but in some games it blurs the image, and in others the performance impact is too high. In those cases, I change the settings to 4x/8xAA + MSAA/4xSSAA + FXAA. In games like BFBC2, I use 32xCSAA + FXAA. Sometimes I don't even use FXAA.

The best thing for you to do is try tinkering around with different settings to see what you prefer.

8. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    Nothing has changed regarding best quality AA - its still supersampling (SSAA); to use it you need Inspector and probably proper compatibility bits for your game.
    MSAA - multisampling is standard aa that actually works, has good performance but doesnt eliminate all jaggies.
    CSAA - dont know; its something from nvidia that doesnt work or works best when used with "enhance application settings" ?
    FXAA & SMAA are AA methods developed for use on consoles and cheap PCs; it's shader based - something about detecting edges and smoothing them - the result is a lot of blur (more in FXAA case); performance hit almost not existent.
    SGSSAA - less performance hit than SSAA, but some blurring;

That is what I know :)

9. evil_religion

evil_religion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    SGSSAA is still SSAA and it doesn't have to be blurry.
    If it works without blur (often you just have to disable some PP effects like motion blur etc.) and you get high enough FPS, there's no technical reason against it.
    4x makes everything well smoothed: Edges, alphatextures, shaders and textures.
    No other AA can mess with it.

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Doesn't SGSSAA only affect textures and/or transparent textures?

11. evil_religion

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    That's TSSAA.
    TSSAA is SGSSAA but just for alphatextures.

It's not a solid defined term, but SGSSAA usually means SGSSAA for the full scene (everything).

12. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    yeah, real helpful guys... ;)

you don't need to enable all of them at the same time, and doing so will more than likely kill your frame rate.

imo, if there's in game AA options available use them and don't force anything. end of the day what's available is what the devs will have optimized for.
    if no in game options are available then try forcing but make sure you do so using the games specific profile, not the global profile.

some people love to mess around with this stuff, and that's cool. personally I'd say that while a game's in motion you'll be hard pressed to see any real difference between anything above 4x msaa with regards to polygonal AA, and forcing some additional transparency anti aliasing via the games profile will clean up any textures featuring transparency (grass, leaves, etc) but performance can take quite a hit depending upon the extent to which a game makes use of textures featuring transparency.

fxaa and smaa are not cheap forms of anti aliasing for consoles. in some (not emediately obvious) ways they're actually superior, smaa in-particular.
    for example both of them apply AA to the entire scene - polygons, shaders, transparencies and all (much like super sampling) and not just polygonal edges (msaa).

13. evil_religion

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    SMAA inject doesn't apply to shaders and textures (at least there is no visible difference) and FXAA just blurs shaders and textures.
    Not compareable with SSAA.

14. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    that simple isn't true.

FXAA Coding Horror

FXAA NV whitepaper

SMAA Devs

the problem with the inject methods is that they don't actually make full use of either the fxaa or smaa algorithms because they're being injected instead of fully integrated into the renderers post processing.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    CSAA is an extension of MSAA: 2x < 4x < 8x CSAA < 16x CSAA < 8x < 16xQ CSAA < 32x CSAA

FXAA is a post processing filter AA, it is generally worse than any MSAA/CSAA mode for edges and better than them for textures. You can mix FXAA with MSAA/CSAA. FXAA is the least demanding mode (when used without MSAA/CSAA).

SGSSAA is a supersampling mode which works not only on polygon edges but on textures too. 8x SGSSAA should be on par with 8x MSAA for edge AA. You can combine it with FXAA although there is no point in doint this. This is the most demanding mode.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    From what I've seen:

1) Driver (301.10) FXAA (v1+v3 combination) does not blur at all.

2) It's a bit less effective then SMAA, but it's faster.

You can't take screenshot of it, so I'd like to hear from others on this (please - non blindos only)

17. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    That's what I needed! It's a bit complicated, but explanation is very clear. So, my settings are the most demanding, but the best for quality (even too much as I would not need FXAA together with SGSSAA). Right?

18. evil_religion

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    What I said is true because I explicitly wrote "inject".
    Is there any game with its own SMAA integration?
    I don't think so.
    Please show me a video that demonstrates how FXAA smoothes a shader when there's scene movement.

Nope, it's better.
    Just compare 4xMSAA with 4xSGSSAA, polygon edges with SGSSAA are processed better.

19. DarkTerror

DarkTerror Member

GPU:
    Geforce 660ti
    FSAA if the application supports eg:skyrim,Rage. Or MSAA. Shoot FXAA or MLAA at its face coz its the worst form a AA.

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Hm, I really dont notice much difference in IQ or performance when enabling SGSSAA. Perhaps the release driver for the GTX680 is buggy?