GTX 680 Owners Check-In

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xtreme1979, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I don't think 705 MHz on the core is a 2D speed though as my card seems to drops to 324 MHz core/810 MHz memory then 324 MHz core/324 MHz memory within a few seconds of quitting a game (it seems to drop to 2D speeds much quicker than my GTX 580 did). (Annoyingly though, it was stick at 1,006 MHz if I have a browser open with a Flash video playing)

It's odd that the 705 MHz speed that my card stuck at was the misreported core clock reported in the leaks though, isn't it? It almost makes me wonder if there's a bug? FurtureMark's 3DMark11 for example shows my GTX 680's core clock as 705 MHz in the benchmarks I linked to above yet I'm pretty sure from the results that the card was running waaaaaaaaay above 1,006 MHz during the tests.

I have seen a "driver not responding" error twice when I initially ramped the memory core offset up to +500 MHz but haven't seen a single error or artifact since with my more conservative core and memory overclocks. This card hasn't been out long so it may be that over time others come across this same issue. It may simply be a result of pushing the card beyond its TDP though, even with 132% power set, and not actually a bug per-se.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well tbh i dont really like FXAA lol , havent tested the new one though.
    but that sure is one hell of a setting you got there :D
    wish i could turn on sgssaa for skyrim again, but i dont have vram left :( and no money to upgrade to a 680gtx. :puke2:

3. Birdy62

Birdy62 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 680 GTX
    Have the same problem with my Asus 680 GTX. MSI Afterburner 2.0.1 show 706 mhz on load and 324 on idle. Have the same numbers with the last Nvidia Inspector. But the card is performing normally and the benchmarks are good.
    I tried with the last EVGA tool and you can see four different speeds flags : the 324 mhz one, the 706 one, the 1006 one ant the overboost 1059 one (without overclocking). If you stress the card, you can clearly see on this tool the real speed of the core going up and down.
    Checked with some videos on the net showing the same tool, and the display is identical as mine.
    May be the card is too new and some tools don't deal very well with it ?

4. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Check to see if leaving the driver set to adaptive power management fixes the clock issues. I put mine at maximum performance and was getting locked at 705mhz. I went back to adaptive, rebooted, and haven't seen this issue since. It might not be playing nice with the driver trying to force clocks on it. Just a guess though.

EDIT I'm going to install Prototype shortly and see if I can confirm the issue mentioned above.

EDIT 2 no issues with Prototype here. 1920x1080 were selectable along with max settings and 4xaa all in game. Vram usage is over 600mb.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

5. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    Darren Hodgson: Ive read that its the drivers who in some cases causes the card to sometimes get "stuck" at lower clock rate.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Appreciate the reply.

So you recommend leaving the Global profile's Power Management on Adaptive then?

Leaving the Global profile set to Adaptive is not conductive to overclocking in my experience as when I tried that setting I saw the card underclock itself in Skyrim to 860 MHz, although I did have v-sync on and the game still ran at 60 fps without any tell-tale stuttering or anything. You could argue that if I'm getting 60 fps anyway then what does it matter? I'm obviously saving on power consumption and the card is generating less heat at that speed.

However, if the card is set to restrict power that it could feasibly have an adverse effect in other games where they're still capped at 60 fps with v-sync enabled but run with lower minimum framerates.

Again, many thanks for verifying that. Seems that I will probably have to reinstall the game for it to detect my GTX 680 properly. There is probably a conflict at the moment from me having played it previously on a GTX 580.

Do you happen to have Bully Scholarship Edition from Rockstar. I loaded it up yesterday only to see black texture-less arms and torso on the lead character (his pants and head looked fine) but all other pupils and staff looked OK. Changing outfits didn't fix it. I'm wondering if this is a driver bug or whether, like Prototype, I'll need to reinstall the game again?

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hopefully that's the case as, from the responses in this forum though, it doesn't look like I'm the only one that has seen this 'stuck 705 MHz core clock' issue.

8. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    I'm not really recommending it, since I like to leave it on maximum performance as well, but as I mentioned before it seems to have solved my issue so the worst you can do is test it out and see what happens. It appears that atm the GTX680 ignores the setting and downclocks anyways, so it might just be a bug or incompatibility in the drivers at the moment. I don't know.

No problem. I do not have Bully though.

9. Birdy62

Birdy62 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 680 GTX
    Good idea.. will try this evening. Thanks..

In fact, the card is not stuck at 706 mhz. The performance is there and all the benchmarks (and games) are at the right level (around 30 % more than the GTX 580). It seems more like a display problem...

10. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Whats going to allow us to push voltages past 1.175v?

Will it be done with an update to afterburner or will we need to mod the bios?

I'm not keen on hard modding like Chrispy - not brave enough :D

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    From my own experiences this card overclocks to ridiculous extremes without altering the voltages, which in my opinion is a very good thing as I've always chickened out of playing around with those on my previous cards for fear of frying them.

Doesn't the card already automatically adjust it's voltages anyway as you overclock? It certainly appears to because if I tried to overclock my old GTX 580 by just 63 Hz on the core then it would result in "driver not responding" errors. On the GTX 680 I've been able to push the core over 250 MHz beyond its default value without any such error.

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I've never tried SGSSAA with Skyrim. Out of curiosity, does it cause transparent textures to clip into each other? I know that with my HD5970, enabling transparency AA ( regardless if it was MSAA/SSAA, or in game ) would cause a lot of ground textures to break.

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    personally i think together with supersampling aa , its the best AA out there. it really fixes aliased textures.
    ive never seen ground textures breaking tbh, everything is quite sharp.
    its very demanding though.
    also quite noticable is in burnout paradise for instance. a fast racing game where the distant textures start to aliase when your driving faster and faster.
    with transperency aa on everything is smooth. so it works while going in a fast motion. (unlike other aa).

15. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    To a certain level, but there is a limit though and that is 1.175v

My cards mem overclocks great, have it running at 7.2GHz (+600Mhz!)

My core runs up to 1232MHz (+135v) before I get issues.(default settings it runs max at 1097MHz)

I'd like a tiny bit more juice to play with so I can bump the core up a little..

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Fair enough :)
    I'll have to check it out when I get home. Honestly I haven't noticed much difference between SGSSAA, transparency SSAA, or MSAA just yet, but I also haven't done much testing with them either. In the case of Skyrim, I have yet to notice any aliasing at 2560x1440/2xAA/FXAA. Unfortunately though, there's not much room to twiddle with in terms of VRam. Do you think it would be worth while cutting the resolution back to 1920x1080 to enable SGSSAA?

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    nope

MSAA, SGSSAA, TrSS, they all work nicely, but...

You need MSAA component, and MSAA is screwed with white outline on pretty much every deferred engine, Creation Engine included.

White outline is not allays visible, but it's there all right, hence - Downsampling + driver FXAA/SMAA FTW!!

18. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    cant really tell tbh. i would certainly try it if i were you. (set bTransparencyMultisampling=1,iWaterMultiSamples=4,iMultiSample=8,bFXAAEnabled=0 in the config, and in inspector transpiracy supersampling at 4 or higher).

there are very few games that show a white line tbh , most of them work just fine. (maybe its mostly ue3 games ? ) im not a fan of fxaa/smaa either, transp aa is much more crisp , especially in motion. i do like downsampling though, but never use it due to limitations of my monitor.

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Awesome, thanks for the tip :)

By itself, post process AA really isn't that great, so it's understandable that there's people who aren't crazy about it. However, when using FXAA/MLAA/SMAA with moderate amounts of AA and transparency AA, the blurring effect becomes far less noticeable and is generally more resource friendly. The down side is that using post process AA can actually cause aliasing artifacts if it's being used with high(er) levels of MSAA/SSAA in some games.

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    piracy!??? :nerd: aahahah!! lol! xxxxxpiracy - bad but yes xxxxxparency