6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

@Torin_Othniel

HD-695X-CNFC is not reference HD 6950, it's XFX custom as Reference cards would have a model number containing an A (AMD) such as HD-695A-CNFC, and those unlock fine as they are reference.

2. Kevin91

Kevin91 Guest

GPU:
    XFXRadeon RX580 8GB
    Anyone done this with Asus EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/1GD5?
    It's the 1GB edition and this one isn't available in the bios list. Or can I use the 2GB bios?

Whats the difference in performance for this card? And how about tempatures and power usage?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You could try unlocking it using RBE or wizzard's mod script, the script along with all the information you might need can be found at techpowerup along with the original thread. I would not use the 2gb bios.

4. Kevin91

Kevin91 Guest

GPU:
    XFXRadeon RX580 8GB
    Will try that first. thanks for your reply ;)

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The RBE method doesn't work with the Asus DCII's, use W1zzard script instead.

6. AZONIC[rus]

AZONIC[rus] Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6950 DiCuII 2Gb
    Who knows... look here

7. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    - start witch bios switched to n.1
    - flash a bios modded
    - restart but I have a BSOD during loading the operating sistem
    - restart with bios n.2

Now, if I wont try to flash another bios to n.2, but I started the pc with the bios n.2, how can I do?

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

When I purchased by HD6950 DCII 2GB last year, I discussed the unlocking trials on here. I searched and found that some people were having issues with the RBE unlock method. For some reason, the RBE unlock method corrupts the bios and fails to boot into Windows. For others with different brand non-reference bios, if the shaders still show 1408 the bios is corrupted, just in a way that doesn't stop you booting into Windows. You are probably aware of the reports of unlockable cards due to the shaders still showing 1408... this is no doubt because they used the RBE method on a non-reference bios. I'm not saying all cards can successfully unlock, but if the bios code is properly changed it will report 1536 regardless! It does not mean the extra shaders will actually work.

For me the W1zzard script worked flawlessly. I also had tried the HD6970 bios but that caused some instability in Dead Island (probably something to do with the memory overclock)... In any case, like I said earlier I believe the reason why the W1zzard script works and the RBE method doesn't is the way it references the code to patch? It seems RBE reads the shader info as reported, but when patching it must patch a fixed location in the bios. In a non-reference bios, its likely this reference isn't in the same place, hence the corruption.

I believe the W1zzard script works because it searches for the shader reference code, and changes it accordingly. By doing it this way its not restricted by it not being in the same place.

After I mentioned this previously I was assured that there should be no difference between the methods. I can assure you there is, and others on here (and on other sites, like where I got the info in the first place!) have found that too.

9. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    I made these attempts:

- flash the original BIOS os my 6950 modified with 6970 shaders
    - flash Sapphire 6970 BIOS
    - flash Bios Asus, ATI, HIS 6970

in all these cases shaders are not changed (1408) .... maximum change was GPU e MEM frequency changed at 6970 but shaders remain 1408

[​IMG]

What do you think?

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    What is the exact model of your card?

11. Endymion FRS

Endymion FRS Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WF3
    Now that Trixx has updated, the voltage control has changed, and I have no idea what changes what. How do I know what to set to get back to my stable 880/1375?

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    What are your current settings?

13. Endymion FRS

Endymion FRS Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WF3
    850/1275, 0

Basically I don't know what the power setting does. It used to be straight voltage changing. Now it is Board Power Li, and I don't know what that means.

14. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Can you take a screenshot?

15. Endymion FRS

Endymion FRS Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WF3
    [​IMG]

Board Power Li goes from -20 to 20.

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    [​IMG]

Power control settings = Board Power Limit

If you scroll down you will see the voltage of your video card.

If the 6950 uses more power than rated it will start throttling or lowering clock speeds, if you increase power control it will use more power so it doesnt down clock. If you're running a benchmark and your results are not up to par with what people have then you're probably hitting the limit. You'll start to see it if you overclock at a higher speed.

17. Endymion FRS

Endymion FRS Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WF3
    Oh, I didn't even realize you could scroll down, I feel kinda dumb now.

So I would need to change that (the power control)? What would be a good value?

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I would just leave keep it at 20% :)

19. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    I have used a .reg to unlock frequency of my Powercolor 6950 2gb but the limit in CCC, msi, trix, is only 950/1350: is possible to have a higest limit?

20. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE