G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Now THATS handy.
    Thanks for the headsup.

I'll be using it soon, am still on my first playthrough (without mods) lol.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You're welcome mate.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    meh. not really up for the quality loss. also flora overhaul hd takes a huge ton of vram.. :|

4. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    in smithing i have all perks for that skill filled, so their must be a calculation issue within the game,

ps can you or someone else give it a shot with any item for me please

edit
    as for magic resist, i put fire/frost/lightening resits 48% on some items TWICE so it should resist 96% of damage by these yet i went up to a mage who took me out in one hit with fire blast? i have an armor rating of 473 now so wtf

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    After reviewing the video close up to the screen (only on a 22" monitor at the mo, the TVs too far away :(), it looks lower res and/or more aliased.
    Its as if the original is using AA and the compressed version isnt and is lower res.

If this mod can be made to look ok, it will be perfect for large mods, it will make them smaller, thats the point surely.
    Or am I missing something? :)

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I run the Flora Overhaul Low Res, which still seems higher quality than default Skyrim.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  8. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    OMG so many bugs, Bethesda will fix them in 2-3 years, if they will release little patches as now :nerd:

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Niether the resolution nor the level of AA used was altered, of course. Don't know why you would think that, the difference you might be seeing is caused by the original video being a very high bitrate and then being processed by Youtube's video compression method with varying effects, that's to be expected as the video is only there as a general guide; in this case to show differences in vram usage and the effect that has on performance. For quality differences I would suggest you link to the mod page and check the images section.

Also people running a single mod with a 1.5GB card at 1080p shouldn't need to use this utility as it's not required, it's there for people with less vram who aren't able to use any mods or want to use higher resolution mods and so would prefer a more compressed data format as that would provide better overall quality. It's also useful for people using a very high number of mods where the combination of many mods provides better overall quality compared to a small drop in quality in a few mods due to compression.

In any case, the utility isn't for everyone. It's only really there for people who know the differences between the different compression methods for diffuse texture files and what effect that would have or are willing to play around with settings, I'm sure it will be of use to some but mostly people with some experience modding GameByro/Creation engine based games. Others who don't have the time or patience to understand how the utility works are probably better off using less mods or lower resolution versions.

ps.

I have added a very high resolution image and a direct video download link to the original post showing the differences in quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'm surprised they have got the unofficial patch ready so quickly after the creation kit's release, these patches were crucial for oblivion, especially for people running mods. Still, have to say, Beth have done a much better job with a steady flow of patches on this occasion and even the game engine is far more stable compared to oblivion, but you can't expect them to keep up with the community.

12. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    There any comparisions between the two? And is the lower res a higher res than original textures?

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Will make a comparison for you Vanilla Non-HD, Flora Low and Flora High.

Brb :)

EDIT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For some reason Vurts Low and High looks the same...

I did a double check on another typ of tree and it looks just the same. Don't know where the detail difference is either since the File Sizes don't make much difference.

Flora High = 54,734kb
    Flora Low = 35,565kb

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Btw those are compressed folders. Extract And the difference should be larger

Hmm weird? See without that flora mod my vram usage is ~1gb at most with it im pegging 1.52gb vram usage? Not too much but could you compare grass and vram usage please?

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Any chance you're using Lush Grass en Lush Trees?

Anyways ill have a look at a Grass heavy area tomorrow, got a WoW Raid in a couple of minutes.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    And no lush grass or tree mod. Current tex mods are just official dlc, high res flora, and high res blood

18. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    can anuone please confirm that the smithing upgrade item department is messed up or if its just my install?

please read my above posts on last two pages for more info

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just did some testing with Flora High and Low Res. I didn't use the Official HD Pack because that bumps up my VRam to 1520 MB after 30 minutes of playing.

This is the scene i used to test with and i ran it untill the camera started spinning around the character.

I did close down and opened up MSI Afterburner before doing each test.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    thanks bro. and yeah thats the predicament i am in. hitting 1520mb of vram with high res dlc and this flora mod.. so looks like you can save 80~mb of vram from going to low res but still better iq than standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.