AMD Catalyst Windows 8 Consumer Preview Driver (8.930.7 RC10 February 16)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Feb 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Nice, thank you so much! It worked for me too. Sad that regular forum users can do what ATI apparently can't with an entire team dedicated to this kind of thing.

Now is there a way to get proper hd surround sound from the 7xxx series in Windows 8?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    Glad it worked for you guys.

I am not sure if it just the 11.12's that worked by themselves or a combo of installing the 12.2 driver first and then running the 11.12 install over the top.

Whatever, it works.

The more and more I play the more useless Metro appears to be.

The pictures app for example tells me I have to add picture sources into the picture library OUTSIDE of Metro.... Why the **** can't I do it within the app itself. :bang:

3. Swift-R

Swift-R Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 Strix
    I need the CCC so I have tried the 11.12 drivers. But whenever I try to open CCC it returns this message:

Catalyst Control Center cannot be started.
    There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center.

Any ideas?

4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Did you have the 8.921's installed and do a straight over the top installation? Any other way will result in your error.

5. ziyuang

ziyuang Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 4650
    I install it on my Windows Server 8 but see no effect. The system is still recognizing my AMD Radeon HD4650 as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Does this driver support Windows Server 8?

EDIT: I checked C8134255.inf and found that HD4600 series is not included. Does it mean that I cannot get my card run normally?

EDIT2: I tentatively install .inf files from Catalyst 12.1 directly (for Win 7 64-bit).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. crewxp

crewxp Guest

GPU:
    HD4870 (Two of them) 512M
    Is there any way to add support for a 4870 card with these drivers?

7. net.cat

net.cat Guest

GPU:
    ATI
    what about performances respect to the other drivers!?

8. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    After using the install of 11.12 over the 12.2 the only downside seems to be Battlefield 3 performance, I lost about 20% total. Any news on a proper Windows 8 release for the so-called flagship product from AMD?

9. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    So far so good most all of my games work great with Windows 8 and these drivers. So far the only exception is Crysis 2 for some reason it run is a very small windows and can't change resolution as the resolution option is blank and can not be changed. Other than that all my Steam and Origin games play just fine if not faster than Windows 7.

10. pillum

pillum Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850HD 1GB GDDR5
    The performance with Battlefield 3 is very bad..
    stuttering at 1680x1050 and High Settings with 6850HD.

Other drivers gave me fluid gameplay with ULTRA settings

11. lewiedude

lewiedude Guest

GPU:
    ATI RadeonXpress 200m
    Here is my problem, and I haven't been able to get any of the trouble shooting to work. I loaded the Consumer Preview on my 6 year old laptop, which was running Win 7 very nicely. I can't seem to get CCC to recognize the Win 8 OS to then get to the next step of determining which video drivers to install. Even though the CPU I have is the AMD Athlon 64, I am running Win 8 in 32 bit. Any versions of CCC that you can think of to work? Or, any driver that I can download and place into the ATI drive folder? I think that I need to successfully run CCC to create the ATI folder, correct? My lappy came with Win XP and my driver disk is for XP drivers. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am really sick of the standard screen resolution.

Thanks, Lewiedude.

EDIT: I am going to try the 64bit Win 8....stay tuned...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  12. spyre

spyre Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6990 and 6970 TF
    Anyone with any sense would already know that 6 year old hardware isn't supported in this driver and it is even mentioned on the download page what hardware you can use. 5xxx and 6xxx cards only. 7xxx cards are supported in the drivers I have which will be released in the future as there are still bugs that need working out compared to the 5xxx and 6xxx driver.

Your GPU doesn't even support WDDM 1.1 which Windows 7 uses nevermind the WDDM 1.2 that Windows 8 uses.

13. ress

ress Guest

GPU:
    HD4650/HD4290
    Right now I'm using the W7 drivers (8.930.0.0) using this method; http://www.overclock.net/t/1222632/screens-windows-8-consumer/10#post_16592062
    Unfortunately that means no CCC. I have version 12.1 installerd right now, but no graphic settings is shown...
    I've also tried asder00's drivers, but I can't install them the regular way. Trying the method above doesn't work either since the drivers are not digitally signed. Using 8.930.0.0 drivers + W8 CCC doesn't work, CCC gives me message saying:
    "AMD VISION Engine Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that cam be configurated using AMD VISION Engine Control Center."

Is there any way of making CCC work?

14. ress

ress Guest

GPU:
    HD4650/HD4290
    Got CCC 10.11 working with the 8.930.0.0 drivers! :)

15. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Sadly not working for me (HD7970 and Win8 CP).
    Following the above gets me a config that has the 11.12.1 driver and CCC, but CCC wont open.

I can manually install any driver I want, all work fine, but stupid CCC wont work properly in most. Usually it opens but has no options but Hydravision if I use a newer CCC/driver combo.
    If someone could clarify exactly what driver on the HD7970 CDs you are using it might help, mine is "Diamond 11.12.1 7970 Win7 Eng-Fre"

EDIT: Got it working - you do not need 12.x or anything preinstalled

Process is: Remove all existing Cat and Drivers versions, with Windows CP and Driver Sweeper. You will find that the TSR Catalyst "helper" will stay running and this means the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE" folder does not get deleted. This folder contains Catalyst CC and must be removed, to delete you need to stop the running service in Task Manager (Process tab, just start typing "C A T" and it will bounce to it.

Stop the task, delete manually and reboot. Install 11.12.1 from the 7970 install CD, select only Driver and CCC. Once installed, should work instantly.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

16. afx01

afx01 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 OC 2GB/256bit
    Ah, no HD7870 support...

I'm reading this thread, I've read other threads and I wonder why nobody talks about HD7870, is it bad?

17. Miroglu

Miroglu Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 512 MB
    Thanks asder00 good work

18. hertz

hertz Guest

GPU:
    sapphire HD-7970 3GB
    No it's not bad, amd that is broke, sells cards like native windows 8 to 500 euros, then after months are the only ones that do not work with windows 8 for lack of drivers.

19. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    it's called being busy doing drivers for trinity & other bugs piling up

it's not like win8 is final, & the current preview will be obsolete in a month

20. randell1993

randell1993 Guest

GPU:
    ATI RadeonHD 4350 1gb
    Can someone convert the x64 drivers to x32? so that i can run my 4350 on windows 8